2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hard for me to be overly critical of the schedule due to the circumstances. Hopefully the Tweets above result in a quality game this week before we head to Minnesota. We had such a quality schedule lined up that had to be trashed and then follow up schedules too, so full on scramble mode for everyone. I don't blame anyone for it, just disappointing, but hopefully we get some good news soon. Ford has scheduled fairly well based on Pomeroy strength of schedule ratings since taking over at SLU, so I have been pleased with what they have done on that front under normal circumstances. I assume it is difficult for a program in the A10 to have a schedule ranked in the top 75 most years.

2016-2017 - 122nd

2017-2018 - 113th

2018-2019 - 126th

2019-2020 - 116th

52 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Would have loved a game versus Michigan but I'll obviously settle for any game that moves the needle with a win. Does it really make sense to schedule a game versus the U of Indys of the world? Per Carter's tweet this weekend SLU apparently has some pretty strict COVID guidelines. Not sure I want to risk the Minnesota game, the only decent non-conference game left, by potentially exposing our players to a DII team. However given said COVID restrictions I’m not sure such a scenario could even exist but again, why risk it?

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Richmond has played 4 teams in Pomeroy's top 150, 3 in the top 100 and two in the top 50.  The Billikens have played one team in Pomeroy's top 225.   The who they played argument doesn't work for us.

One of those top 50 teams kicked Richmond's ass, the other one's only win was over #308 Morehead State. My gripe is, the majority of "experts" were wrong in picking Richmond over the Billikens in pre-season polls; just like they were wrong in ranking last place in the SEC, KY, #10. Richmond was over rated last year also when the Billikens beat them twice. Richmond has the same team as last year, while the Billikens have upgraded. The Billiken's win over LSU was a much better win than anything Richmond has shown. 

In the big picture, it really doesn't matter as long as the Bills keep winning.

41 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Would have loved a game versus Michigan but I'll obviously settle for any game that moves the needle with a win. Does it really make sense to schedule a game versus the U of Indys of the world? Per Carter's tweet this weekend SLU apparently has some pretty strict COVID guidelines. Not sure I want to risk the Minnesota game, the only decent non-conference game left, by potentially exposing our players to a DII team. However given said COVID restrictions I’m not sure such a scenario could even exist but again, why risk it?

I would be hugely disappointed if a game like Indy was scheduled 

6 minutes ago, David King said:

One of those top 50 teams kicked Richmond's ass, the other one's only win was over #308 Morehead State. My gripe is, the majority of "experts" were wrong in picking Richmond over the Billikens in pre-season polls; just like they were wrong in ranking last place in the SEC, KY, #10. Richmond was over rated last year also when the Billikens beat them twice. Richmond has the same team as last year, while the Billikens have upgraded. The Billiken's win over LSU was a much better win than anything Richmond has shown. 

In the big picture, it really doesn't matter as long as the Bills keep winning.

The Billikens didn't beat Richmond twice last season; they won one game at Richmond.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Richmond has played 4 teams in Pomeroy's top 150, 3 in the top 100 and two in the top 50.  The Billikens have played one team in Pomeroy's top 225.   The who they played argument doesn't work for us.

That’s all well and good, but their best win is against a 1-4 team. Sure we’ve played cupcakes outside of LSU, but we’ve also ABSOLUTELY ANNIHILATED every single one of them. Richmond hasn’t blown out anybody. And they just got their doors blown off (admittedly by a really good team). At what point in the season do actual results start mattering?

4 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

That’s all well and good, but their best win is against a 1-4 team. Sure we’ve played cupcakes outside of LSU, but we’ve also ABSOLUTELY ANNIHILATED every single one of them. Richmond hasn’t blown out anybody. And they just got their doors blown off (admittedly by a really good team). At what point in the season do actual results start mattering?

Part of the issue is the idea that a 15 point win is the same as a 35 point win. I'm sorry but it's just not. Even a 20 point win could be someone that was up 10-12 most the game then stretched it out at the end as opposed to a 30+ point win where the lead was 20+ the entire 2nd half or more. 

I do not agree with the idea that in D1 basketball you shouldn't keep your foot on the gas. If you can't stand the heat D2 is waiting for you

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

Part of the issue is the idea that a 15 point win is the same as a 35 point win. I'm sorry but it's just not. Even a 20 point win could be someone that was up 10-12 most the game then stretched it out at the end as opposed to a 30+ point win where the lead was 20+ the entire 2nd half or more. 

I do not agree with the idea that in D1 basketball you shouldn't keep your foot on the gas. If you can't stand the heat D2 is waiting for you

I understand that issue if we’re talking about the selection committee, but these Associated Press reporters aren’t really bound by those same restrictions when voting for the rankings. They may claim that they do, but that’s complete BS. I just don’t buy that at all. You’re not picking and choosing which teams make the NCAA field, you’re voting for the top-25 best teams in college basketball RIGHT NOW! If you’re capping wins at 15 points, you’re not doing your job!

Old guy likes this

24 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I understand that issue if we’re talking about the selection committee, but these Associated Press reporters aren’t really bound by those same restrictions when voting for the rankings. They may claim that they do, but that’s complete BS. I just don’t buy that at all. You’re not picking and choosing which teams make the NCAA field, you’re voting for the top-25 best teams in college basketball RIGHT NOW! If you’re capping wins at 15 points, you’re not doing your job!

Agreed. I don't even understand the selection committee putting a cap on a win, at least not one under 30

Nail biter 0-5

Close win 6-10

Solid win 10-15

Ass Whipping 15-20

Beat down 20-25

Beat Down plus stole their lunch money 25-30

Beat down plus stole their lunch money and their Gal 30+

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Agreed. I don't even understand the selection committee putting a cap on a win, at least not one under 30

Nail biter 0-5

Close win 6-10

Solid win 10-15

Ass Whipping 15-20

Beat down 20-25

Beat Down plus stole their lunch money 25-30

Beat down plus stole their lunch money and their Gal 30+

Trip to Salinas +40

slufanskip and RUBillsFan like this

52 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

If they can close the deal, bet we know in time for 10 pm news...

This is gonna seem like a *blue font* post, but I’m being totally serious. Do people still watch local news...or at the very least, do people still watch local news any other time besides when severe weather is expected? That’s not a shot against anyone who works at a local news station. I have family who have worked in local news. I’m just genuinely asking.

5 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

This is gonna seem like a *blue font* post, but I’m being totally serious. Do people still watch local news...or at the very least, do people still watch local news any other time besides when severe weather is expected? That’s not a shot against anyone who works at a local news station. I have family who have worked in local news. I’m just genuinely asking.

There must be significant numbers watching, otherwise advertisers wouldn’t pay big bucks for plugs during the broadcasts.

8 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I have started watching It on YouTube, via my Roku. Conveniently provides highlight news clips.

6 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

There must be significant numbers watching, otherwise advertisers wouldn’t pay big bucks for plugs during the broadcasts.

5 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I have started watching It on YouTube, via my Roku. Conveniently provides highlight news clips.

I’m happy to hear it. Most of those guys are exceptionally good at what they do. And they work long hours and occasionally have to work holidays and stuff.