Jump to content

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I'll be shocked if the A10 is a one bid league, as I think it is respected by the committee more than people think (not power conference respected, but a healthy respect). So it will be interesting to see what happens if there is a full on meltdown and the Bills finish 2nd.  If the Bills finish 2nd, win a game in the A10 tourney and play Dayton close again, then I can see us getting the 2nd bid from the A10. 

if dayton wins out and wins the conference tourney i suspect we are a one bid conference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another real possibility is Richmond and Rhodey ---- our two closest 'bubble' teams --- lose out to Davidson, Duquesne, Dayton and Umass.  That would put Richmond on a death spiral and further cement Rhode Island's recent plunge.  In that case, to me, the only option for a second A10 team bid is to have Dayton lose in Brooklyn.  There are huge national implications this week well over just A10 tournament seedings.  

This is status quo for the A10's final week each and every year.  The fact that Clemson, NC State, Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia, Butler, Marquette, Xavier, Georgetown, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, and Rutgers are all "in" or even in the discussion, with .500 league records or worse (Georgetown is 5 and 11 in conference play) is criminal.  That is 13 at-large bids to teams who refuse to play anyone outside their conference or conference-sponsored challenges and that's just not right to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Another real possibility is Richmond and Rhodey ---- our two closest 'bubble' teams --- lose out to Davidson, Duquesne, Dayton and Umass.  That would put Richmond on a death spiral and further cement Rhode Island's recent plunge.  In that case, to me, the only option for a second A10 team bid is to have Dayton lose in Brooklyn.  There are huge national implications this week well over just A10 tournament seedings.  

This is status quo for the A10's final week each and every year.  The fact that Clemson, NC State, Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia, Butler, Marquette, Xavier, Georgetown, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, and Rutgers are all "in" or even in the discussion, with .500 league records or worse (Georgetown is 5 and 11 in conference play) is criminal.  That is 13 at-large bids to teams who refuse to play anyone outside their conference or conference-sponsored challenges and that's just not right to me.

As the Trumpster would say: "It's rigged!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Another real possibility is Richmond and Rhodey ---- our two closest 'bubble' teams --- lose out to Davidson, Duquesne, Dayton and Umass.  That would put Richmond on a death spiral and further cement Rhode Island's recent plunge.  In that case, to me, the only option for a second A10 team bid is to have Dayton lose in Brooklyn.  There are huge national implications this week well over just A10 tournament seedings.  

This is status quo for the A10's final week each and every year.  The fact that Clemson, NC State, Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia, Butler, Marquette, Xavier, Georgetown, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, and Rutgers are all "in" or even in the discussion, with .500 league records or worse (Georgetown is 5 and 11 in conference play) is criminal.  That is 13 at-large bids to teams who refuse to play anyone outside their conference or conference-sponsored challenges and that's just not right to me.

Clemson (15-13, NET 73), Georgetown (15-14, NET 60) and Minnesota (13-15 despite its NET of 46) have to be OUT now absent winning their conference tourneys.  Purdue (15-14) should be OUT too despite its NET of 35, although that one is baffling.  If the NCAA takes a team with 14-16 losses, or a team (Georgetown) that is 5-11 in its own conference, the system would be an utter farce.  ACC politicking may get NC State (18-12, NET 55) IN, especially if 9 to 11 Big Ten teams get IN.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Another real possibility is Richmond and Rhodey ---- our two closest 'bubble' teams --- lose out to Davidson, Duquesne, Dayton and Umass.  That would put Richmond on a death spiral and further cement Rhode Island's recent plunge.  In that case, to me, the only option for a second A10 team bid is to have Dayton lose in Brooklyn.  There are huge national implications this week well over just A10 tournament seedings.  

This is status quo for the A10's final week each and every year.  The fact that Clemson, NC State, Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia, Butler, Marquette, Xavier, Georgetown, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, and Rutgers are all "in" or even in the discussion, with .500 league records or worse (Georgetown is 5 and 11 in conference play) is criminal.  That is 13 at-large bids to teams who refuse to play anyone outside their conference or conference-sponsored challenges and that's just not right to me.

Logically, what you’re saying about the A-10 is right.  However, the A-10 has only been a 1-bid league twice in the last 20 years. I’m just speculating (hoping?) that the A-10 is respected by the committee, which results in at least two bids with the 2nd bid going to whoever finishes as the regular season runner up in the league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, slu72 said:

As the Trumpster would say: "It's rigged!"

Disagree, the NCAA is just doing what they have always done and will continue doing. I am sure they will provide some kind of rationale that refers to some kind of interpretation of NET rules.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah I don't see how the committee only gives the A10 one bid regardless of NET.

Committee doesn't reward bids based on conference strength. Otherwise ACC wouldn't get 4 and Big12 9 bids this year. All at-large teams are measured against each other. URI has slipped badly in the past two weeks. They need to do some work. It's possible they upset Dayton tomorrow and make the conference semis and get in. It's also possible that Richmond wins the next two games and makes the finals. If so, they're in. And it's possible some team other than those two or Dayton with it all in Brooklyn. A-10 won't deserve 4, but it will get them. 

On the flip side, if URI can't beat Dayton and loses in the quarters, and if Richmond only goes 2-2 in the next two weeks, and if Dayton wins, A-10 gets one bid. As an A-10 fan, I'm personally rooting for URI tomorrow, Richmond until Brooklyn, and think SLU can make it's case by beating Dayton in the semis. #4BidA-10

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the problems in trying to figure out who gets the at large bid is calculating what every team does.  For example, it is not just about what The Bills do in the next 4 games but what the 18 opponents we had during the season do  during that stretch too (we actually have had 25 opponents but they can't all win because some are playing each other).  If the Bills win the next 4 and the 18 opponents we have played win out then we would be in... even without winning the A-10 tourney.  However, if we win 4 and our 18 opponents lose, we would have no choice but to win the final game for the autobid. 

  As far as the NCAA "rigging" things...There has always been subjectivity involved...It is a NET system...NCAA Evaluation Tool....Not a NED system...NCAA Evaluation  Decider.   They can use it as a way of narrowing down the teams  and then picking from those that remain , the most "deserving".  I guess it depends on how you look at it....If it goes your way...then it is a tool...if it doesn't go your way...then the NCAA is the tool.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

One of the problems in trying to figure out who gets the at large bid is calculating what every team does.  For example, it is not just about what The Bills do in the next 4 games but what the 18 opponents we had during the season do  during that stretch too (we actually have had 25 opponents but they can't all win because some are playing each other).  If the Bills win the next 4 and the 18 opponents we have played win out then we would be in... even without winning the A-10 tourney.  However, if we win 4 and our 18 opponents lose, we would have no choice but to win the final game for the autobid. 

  As far as the NCAA "rigging" things...There has always been subjectivity involved...It is a NET system...NCAA Evaluation Tool....Not a NED system...NCAA Evaluation  Decider.   They can use it as a way of narrowing down the teams  and then picking from those that remain , the most "deserving".  I guess it depends on how you look at it....If it goes your way...then it is a tool...if it doesn't go your way...then the NCAA is the tool.

Hasn't mid major representation gone down the last few years? and now we have a new "tool" that seems to work against the lesser conferences even more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Hasn't mid major representation gone down the last few years? and now we have a new "tool" that seems to work against the lesser conferences even more. 

I'd love to see a rule that says finishing below .500 in your conference excludes you from the field (unless you win the conference tournament).

You're trying to get from 350+ Div I teams to 1 champion.  If you've already had a regular conference season that definitively shows you're worse than a bunch of other teams in your conference, you shouldn't make the field.

Also imagine how exciting some of the late conference season Power 5 games would be if a loss meant the team would no longer qualify for the tournament.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

who do we want to win?

VCU and Davidson.

 

VCU bearing Duq gives us control of our destiny for 4th.

Davidson for the long shot of getting 2nd or 3rd in conference. You could root for Richmond if you want more bids for A10

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

One of the problems in trying to figure out who gets the at large bid is calculating what every team does.  For example, it is not just about what The Bills do in the next 4 games but what the 18 opponents we had during the season do  during that stretch too (we actually have had 25 opponents but they can't all win because some are playing each other).  If the Bills win the next 4 and the 18 opponents we have played win out then we would be in... even without winning the A-10 tourney.  However, if we win 4 and our 18 opponents lose, we would have no choice but to win the final game for the autobid. 

  As far as the NCAA "rigging" things...There has always been subjectivity involved...It is a NET system...NCAA Evaluation Tool....Not a NED system...NCAA Evaluation  Decider.   They can use it as a way of narrowing down the teams  and then picking from those that remain , the most "deserving".  I guess it depends on how you look at it....If it goes your way...then it is a tool...if it doesn't go your way...then the NCAA is the tool.

Wiz, I think you've the smartest guy on the board, but if Georgetown gets in at 7-15 in the Beast something's really messed up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

VCU up 25-15 at the under 8 TO.  Rams look good - running freely and causing some havoc.  I know we played them really well at home but they can never be taken lightly and I don’t want them in Brooklyn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Richmond has caught up to Davidson; VCU maintains 7 to 9 point lead on Dukes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are right ..... too much youth controlling the ball and Vann, Crowfield and Simms are all gunners.  Here's hoping they can run and gun.  Hughes and Carry each with two fouls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Hasn't mid major representation gone down the last few years? and now we have a new "tool" that seems to work against the lesser conferences even more. 

Here is an interesting story from last year's Washington Post on what happens to mid majors as Madness approaches.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/this-march-madness-should-have-more-room-for-mid-majors-but-dont-bet-on-it/2019/02/09/f0925dc8-2bdb-11e9-984d-9b8fba003e81_story.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Vcu is a shell of the team that was picked first in conference.  Hopefully they can hang on but I don’t think they will.

 

Yes they were picked to win it all, but they are now playing without 2 of their top 3 scorers, Evans and Jenkins. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...