Yuri Collins - best passer in the country. Full stop.

jimbofive

This is pretty interesting to see some of the rule changes throughout the history of the NBA

https://cdn.nba.net/nba-drupal-prod/nba-rules-changes-history.pdf

Year by assist totals 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ast_per_g_yearly.html

This makes it hard to really tell for certain. As there are some decent jumps at times but usually those are aligned with a new leader. The biggest jump seems to be after 76/77 season where it jumped 2 per game and then mostly stayed over 10. Before that season just a few over 10 and only a handful under 10 since. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Skip:  I don’t think so.  I played in the 70’s and if you threw a pass to a guy open at half court and he drove uncontested to a basket, that was not an assist because he had to improve his position substantially to score.  In Yuri’s video, there are multiple great passes to French who then dribbles three or four times, improving his positioning and distancing himself from Yuri’s set up.  Is that then an assist?  I don’t think so but I am asking anyone in the know.   

The assists to TJ and Perkins I certainly get.  I’d appreciate someone setting the record straight, recognizing it can be interpretive.

Assists are a relatively new statistic in college basketball, having only become an official statistic beginning with the 1983–84 season. According to the 2009–10 NCAA Division I men's basketball media guide, however, there were two seasons in the early 1950s in which assists were recorded: 1950–51 and 1951–52.  Copied from the always reliable Wikipedia.

But I do agree, assists are somewhat subjective and likely the view of what is an assist has changed over the 3+ decades that assists have been tallied.  I will always be amazed that Roder had 235 dimes in the 86-87 season.  The team did play 35 games that season, so he had more games than normal to hit that total.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Do we know if those plays in the video where a player put the ball on the floor was actually counted as an assist? I always thought an assist was a pass the scorer received and took a shot w/o dribbling the ball. Has this changed? 

I feel like you're right? At least in the NBA I seem to remember James Harden pump faking out of assists just to keep it going when he had a really long streak of unassisted buckets going. 

I think one of the most obvious enhancements to modern assist totals that rarely gets talked about is the alley-oop pass.  It became a lot more common in the 1980s, both in the NBA and in college basketball.  In the 1960s there were a handful of skywalkers to finish that play.  In today's game, practically every good team has multiple players who can go get it.

5 hours ago, CBFan said:

Shout out to the posters that saw this in this young man before the recruiting process even began and had mentioned that SLU must get Yuri.

The posters on this site motivated my wife and go see the kid play and we were rewarded with a 30 point effort and some great assists.

Yuri brought back offense to the Billikens.  The fast breaks that were so troublesome the season before became a thing of beauty and grace finishing at the hoop.

Yuri will score more as defenses will play the pass but it will be pick your poison.

Its funny that when Yuri signed the posters on Tiger board said it was a good signing for SLU.  Note to those posters it would have been a good signing for them and anyone else in division 1.

Yuri was probably one of the 10 most overlooked players in division 1 and will prove that when SLU reaches the sweet 16 next season.

CBFan, though I haven't met you or your wife, I think I love her 😀  Any woman that goes to a high school basketball game in which she doesn't have a rooting interest, but instead is at the game because her hubby wanted to go is a pretty special spouse.  You are one lucky guy!

drkelsey55 likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Do we know if those plays in the video where a player put the ball on the floor was actually counted as an assist? I always thought an assist was a pass the scorer received and took a shot w/o dribbling the ball. Has this changed? 

A pass followed by a score with two dribbles or less counts as an assist.  That's been the unwritten rule since the mid 1980s.

slu72 likes this

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think one of the most obvious enhancements to modern assist totals that rarely gets talked about is the alley-oop pass.  It became a lot more common in the 1980s, both in the NBA and in college basketball.  In the 1960s there were a handful of skywalkers to finish that play.  In today's game, practically every good team has multiple players who can go get it.

CarefreeFrailCowbird-size_restricted.gif

Little known fact the first “alley-oop” was completed by the Flint Michigan Tropics.

It was a pass from veteran Ed Monix to high flyer Clarence Withers. This amazing feat was first used in the 1976 MegaBowl and was drawn up by Jackie Moon.  The play  changed the game forever. 

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

A pass followed by a score with two dribbles or less counts as an assist.  That's been the unwritten rule since the mid 1980s.

I disagree with this. The obvious example is a pass on a breakaway. There may be many dribbles and an assist is still given. I don't believe there  is a dribble number rule or unwritten rule. It is subjective judgement as to whether the pass aided or enabled a score. 

slufanskip and billiken_roy like this

I’ve watched that Yuri highlight video a few times now, and I realized it’s hard to fully appreciate how brilliant he is in real time, even watching on TV, because you move onto the next play a lot of times. But he’s amazing. It’s scary to think that we have him for 3 more years and he’s only gonna get better (and healthier). #Yurimania 

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

50 minutes ago, bauman said:

CBFan, though I haven't met you or your wife, I think I love her 😀  Any woman that goes to a high school basketball game in which she doesn't have a rooting interest, but instead is at the game because her hubby wanted to go is a pretty special spouse.  You are one lucky guy!

Thank you for the kind words it made my day.

I am a lucky guy however my wife was the starting Point guard on her high school basketball team so she loves basketball.
She is a total team blue lady so her rooting interest are the same as mine so when I asked her to go watch Yuri she was all in and we put on our Billiken gear and sat about 3 rows up from Yuri on his team bench and cheered him on.

Just as important she fishes with me and puts up with my childish behavior.

Yuri did not disappoint either with 30 points great ball handling and finding the open man.

I will pm you next season and see if we can meet.

Happy Friday 

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, willie said:

I disagree with this. The obvious example is a pass on a breakaway. There may be many dribbles and an assist is still given. I don't believe there  is a dribble number rule or unwritten rule. It is subjective judgement as to whether the pass aided or enabled a score. 

The 2 dribble rule generally holds in the halfcourt.

Any pass that leads directly to a made basket can be an assist regardless of dribbles.  Usually if the player who receives the pass must first make a move ie beat a man with a dribble move or shot fake the assist is no longer valid.  Each game has an official scorer and assists are up to their judgement.  Different scorers credit assists differently all the time at the college and pro level.

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

The 2 dribble rule generally holds in the halfcourt.

Any pass that leads directly to a made basket can be an assist regardless of dribbles.  Usually if the player who receives the pass must first make a move ie beat a man with a dribble move or shot fake the assist is no longer valid.  Each game has an official scorer and assists are up to their judgement.  Different scorers credit assists differently all the time at the college and pro level.

Agree

1 hour ago, willie said:

I agree with this in the special cases where guys are taking a bunch of dribbles to prepare for takeoff in a breakaway situation.  But the unwritten rule of two dribbles or less accounts for the vast majority of cases.  If you look in Yuri's highlight package, you'll see even in breakaway situations, the finisher rarely takes more than two dribbles.  That's where the rule of thumb came from.

That Stats Handbook was a fun read.  Thanks.  At the end of the assist section, I found this note interesting:

Note: While a fair amount of latitude exists in deciding whether to award an assist, an attempt has been made to achieve some level of consistency. It is impossible to specify how many assists should be given during a game. However, from game analysis, about 50-60 percent of a team’s field goals involve the crediting of an assist. 

Does the home team supply the statistician or is he/she brought in with the referee crew as an independent?

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

That Stats Handbook was a fun read.  Thanks.  At the end of the assist section, I found this note interesting:

Note: While a fair amount of latitude exists in deciding whether to award an assist, an attempt has been made to achieve some level of consistency. It is impossible to specify how many assists should be given during a game. However, from game analysis, about 50-60 percent of a team’s field goals involve the crediting of an assist. 

Does the home team supply the statistician or is he/she brought in with the referee crew as an independent?

Home Team 

HoosierPal likes this

Thanks dennis,skip, willie.

As for the official statistician, isn't that the "official scorer," like the guy you report to at the scorer's table to sub in?  I always thought that person was indeed provided by the home team but served in an official capacity just like the three blind guys on the court.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Thanks dennis,skip, willie.

As for the official statistician, isn't that the "official scorer," like the guy you report to at the scorer's table to sub in?  I always thought that person was indeed provided by the home team but served in an official capacity just like the three blind guys on the court.

The official scorer isn't one of the statisticians.  I don't know exactly how it's handled at the college or pro levels, but I have been both for high school basketball.

The official scorer records field goals made, fouls, and free throws (made and attempted) for both teams and is technically a game official.  Each team can have a statistician who records the remaining stats for their own team's players:  assists, rebounds, steals, blocks, turnovers, and field-goal attempts.  Sometimes it's a coach or team manager who fills that role.