Welcome Yuri Collins

crymdg2

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Other than shooting the 3, is Yuri a shorter version of H Waldman? 

part of the greatness of h waldman was his shooting.   i.e. he is really a poor comparison and i do not think collins is anywhere as good as waldman was.   i hope he proves me wrong, but i would say he is a better passing carlos maccauley.  

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From rivals:

Since taking over at Saint Louis University, head coach Travis Ford is making sure that his program is well represented by local talent.

Sunday afternoon, Ford and the Billikens picked up a commitment from local point guard 

. A tough customer who plays very good on the ball defense, plays as a pass-first floor general and keeps his teammates happy, Collins is continuing a trend of locals staying home.

He's joined in the 2019 class by three-star small forward 

from just across the river in East St. Louis. Class of 2018's top recruit was another Saint Louis area star in four-star power forward 

and the program's best player -- and Ford's first big recruiting win as head coach -- 

also hails from the Saint Louis area. That means that Ford is three for three so far in his best recruit being a local kid

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

part of the greatness of h waldman was his shooting.   i.e. he is really a poor comparison and i do not think collins is anywhere as good as waldman was.   i hope he proves me wrong, but i would say he is a better passing carlos maccauley.  

Collins’ EYBL shooting stats this summer look subpar, but I don’t know how much the injured arm affected that production. No doubt he has great court vision in getting the ball to open players.

Just now, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Was it Yuri's shooting arm or off arm that had the injury?

I'm sure old guy will be along presently to tell you that even the off arm being injured can affect the trajectory and spin of the ball resulting in a several percentage point drop in accuracy.  

thetorch likes this

For thirty years or more, Billiken fans and the media have been saying that the best team a coach could create at SLU would be one that mixes in some of St. Louis's top talent with other talent from the rest of the country.  Ford is the first coach that I can recall that is actually doing this.  I know that some had success like this in one recruiting class or two, but Ford has been consistently doing this in every recruiting class.  Now, we just have to hope that everyone who has said that this is the winning combination has been right all along.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Keep in mind that our team has many new players and its performance will improve after the first 8 to 10 games, we will probably reach our stride by early December.

Not necessarily.  Remember the VT win early last year?  Best win of the year in my opinion.  The core of the team, likely three-fourths of the starting line-up ..... Goodwin, Bess, French is unchanged.  Foreman played lots of minutes and Santos practiced with the team daily.  Goodwin and Bess appear to be the team leaders.  Sure SLU should improve with games under their belts but I look for a very motivated team to have a fast start.

SLU_Nick and moytoy12 like this

22 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Not necessarily.  Remember the VT win early last year?  Best win of the year in my opinion.  The core of the team, likely three-fourths of the starting line-up ..... Goodwin, Bess, French is unchanged.  Foreman played lots of minutes and Santos practiced with the team daily.  Goodwin and Bess appear to be the team leaders.  Sure SLU should improve with games under their belts but I look for a very motivated team to have a fast start.

Completely agree.  I believe this concept is overblown by the board.  Additionally, I don't get the sense that Ford is running an offense or defense with Majerus-like precision (not to say what Ford is doing is bad).  Goodwin, Bess, French, Foreman and Santos have basically played under the system for at least a year.  Gordon and Thatch strike me as quick learners and team guys (not to mention how often Ford has commented about the number of minutes they'll get).  Wiley and Isabell are grad transfers who should have plenty of maturity and understanding to their game.   I don't think our on-court learning curve is going to be nearly as great as some think.  

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Keep in mind that our team has many new players and its performance will improve after the first 8 to 10 games, we will probably reach our stride by early December.

Geez, Old Guy, are you KIDDING us!? Girdon just shattered a backboard for cryin out loud!!! Chocolate thunder!!!

White Pelican likes this

You can wait for Wiz to tell you the same thing when the season starts. His model will base the level of SLU's team upon last years' plus a fudge for the new players and then get refined over the first eight games or so. Just wait and see what the Wiz says this year.

Gordon not Girdon

2 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Geez, Old Guy, are you KIDDING us!? Girdon just shattered a backboard for cryin out loud!!! Chocolate thunder!!!

THIS!

I expect this team to hit the ground running and take no prisoners. 8 to 10 games in? I hope our opponents are scared to play us by then.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

However good they are in the first game, they will be a lot better after the eighth.

I agree with this but disagreed with your earlier post if this team stays together with a healthy Welmer they will come out of the gate fast improve and run away with the A10 and make the top 25.

This is the fastest, strongest, and deepest Billikens team I have ever seen.

8 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I hate to give credence to old guy (post card?) but I too have a fear of the Bills taking a while to find their way (especially after watching the Dallas Cowboys get smoked by Carolina.) 

I’m not sure you could pick a worse comparison for us than the Cowboys. Cowboys will lose a lot of games this year.

26 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I hate to give credence to old guy (post card?) but I too have a fear of the Bills taking a while to find their way (especially after watching the Dallas Cowboys get smoked by Carolina.) 

Well, Coach stated in one of his radio interviews last month that working on team chemistry is a priority. Some MBM’s might not be worried about it but Coach is not taking team chemistry lightly. 

Sure the VA Tech early game was nice. But the Providence, Detroit, W Michigan and Butler early games were not so nice. 

37 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I agree with this but disagreed with your earlier post if this team stays together with a healthy Welmer they will come out of the gate fast improve and run away with the A10 and make the top 25.

This is the fastest, strongest, and deepest Billikens team I have ever seen.

CBFan, this is a superb team, but you cannot afford to open yourself to disappointment if the team turns out to get to rank #30 instead of #25. There are a lot of people literally expecting as a sure fire thing that we will win the A10 and go deep in NCAA. This may come to happen, and if it does happen much the better. There is no certainty that it will happen until it does happen. The team may come out of the gates in the very first game charging like a platoon of main battle tanks, but whatever they do in that first and second games, they will be better by the 8th to 10th game. What is so hard to understand about this?

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

CBFan, this is a superb team, but you cannot afford to open yourself to disappointment if the team turns out to get to rank #30 instead of #25. There are a lot of people literally expecting as a sure fire thing that we will win the A10 and go deep in NCAA. This may come to happen, and if it does happen much the better. There is no certainty that it will happen until it does happen. The team may come out of the gates in the very first game charging like a platoon of main battle tanks, but whatever they do in that first and second games, they will be better by the 8th to 10th game. What is so hard to understand about this?

How I know old guys an act

joe_davola and gobillsgo like this