Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Yuri had the ability to do that, and did, in high school when necessary.  Yuri's superpower, however, is his playmaking talents.  I would have to see tape on a kid and read a lot about his being a very unselfish pass first guy with loads of talent before thinking he could be another Yuri.  Yuri is somewhat of a unicorn in the modern game.

By the time Yuri graduates all pg's with elite level passing skills will be called Yuri's. 

When coaches are speaking about a pg recruit they'll ask is he a good pg or is he a Yuri. 

Magic Johnson will tweet asking to be referred to as a Yuri in the future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this has been discussed before, but with the waiver application being eliminated, does anyone think Okoro will start suiting up for games? Has he fully recovered from his surgery? I don’t see the downside of suiting him up if he’s healthy. He doesn’t have to play much of a role. Just give him a few minutes here and there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Ewing is trying really trying to make inroads in St. Louis.

This seems odd to me.  Isn't the DC/Virginia/Maryland area pretty loaded with talent?  Heck they're pretty close to Philadelphia and NY which have historically produced way more talent than St. Louis.  I'm not particularly worried about GTown beating us in a bunch of recruiting battles, but an StL recruiting strategy for them just seems weird.  This is not a K State situation where their coach has a history in St Louis and it is decently close.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This seems odd to me.  Isn't the DC/Virginia/Maryland area pretty loaded with talent?  Heck they're pretty close to Philadelphia and NY which have historically produced way more talent than St. Louis.  I'm not particularly worried about GTown beating us in a bunch of recruiting battles, but an StL recruiting strategy for them just seems weird.  This is not a K State situation where their coach has a history in St Louis and it is decently close.

A few of their stars in the past were from the area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This seems odd to me.  Isn't the DC/Virginia/Maryland area pretty loaded with talent?  Heck they're pretty close to Philadelphia and NY which have historically produced way more talent than St. Louis.  I'm not particularly worried about GTown beating us in a bunch of recruiting battles, but an StL recruiting strategy for them just seems weird.  This is not a K State situation where their coach has a history in St Louis and it is decently close.

Especially after Kobe Clark decides to transfer back home after this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

This seems odd to me.  Isn't the DC/Virginia/Maryland area pretty loaded with talent?  Heck they're pretty close to Philadelphia and NY which have historically produced way more talent than St. Louis.  I'm not particularly worried about GTown beating us in a bunch of recruiting battles, but an StL recruiting strategy for them just seems weird.  This is not a K State situation where their coach has a history in St Louis and it is decently close.

-yeah, why recruit where there is talent?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Georgetown has almost always recruited nationally.  The DC corridor is a recruiting hotbed, Ewing can't really compete with the schools going in there.  They get some kids from there but Ewing has mostly recruited out of the area.  His freshman class is from St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago, and one DC kid who played HS in Tenn.  Georgetown still has a ton of mystique away from the East Coast.  His one asst, Kirby, has a history in the Midwest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Georgetown has almost always recruited nationally.  The DC corridor is a recruiting hotbed, Ewing can't really compete with the schools going in there.  They get some kids from there but Ewing has mostly recruited out of the area.  His freshman class is from St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago, and one DC kid who played HS in Tenn.  Georgetown still has a ton of mystique away from the East Coast.  His one asst, Kirby, has a history in the Midwest.

Isn’t Kirby the guy that recruited Ben Hansbrough to Mississippi State?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the 4th quarter of the CBC-SLU game online last night to see how Rob Martin and Larry Jr. we’re doing. Martin was very impressive scoring 11 points in the 4th when the score kept going back and forth. I believe he finished with 18 points. Unfortunately Hughes only scored 2 points for the game and that was a garbage time basket with less than 5 seconds left after the game was already decided.

I wonder how hard SLU is recruiting Martin? He looks like he has a pretty impressive skill set, especially for his size (5’9”).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I watched the 4th quarter of the CBC-SLU game online last night to see how Rob Martin and Larry Jr. we’re doing. Martin was very impressive scoring 11 points in the 4th when the score kept going back and forth. I believe he finished with 18 points. Unfortunately Hughes only scored 2 points for the game and that was a garbage time basket with less than 5 seconds left after the game was already decided.

I wonder how hard SLU is recruiting Martin? He looks like he has a pretty impressive skill set, especially for his size (5’9”).

At this point of his career, we were not recruiting Yuri that hard.  Like Yuri, Martin has a whole season to prove what he can do.  

Hughes, on the other hand has a lot of work to do.  Mayo, Stacker and Thames are all better players than him right now.  Mayo and Thames have the added advantage of being alpha dogs on their respective teams.  CBC is Martin's team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaminade looks dominant early in the season.  Cardinal Ritter kept it close for a half in their home gym but the Red Devils went on a 15-1 run halfway through the third quarter to put the game away.  Tarris Reed is now close to 6'10 and had his way in the paint, finishing with 27 points and 14 rebounds.  Mayo scored 19 points, including three makes from long distance.  As a team, Chaminade does a really good job of moving the ball.

Junior big man Robert Lewis continues to be an effective scorer for Cardinal Ritter, finishing with 21 points.  He's a skinny 6'8 but quick.  Should have some mid-major offers by the spring.  Luther Burden is struggling with the responsibility of the point guard position.  Junior guard Braxton Stacker was impressive going to the hole but his jumper isn't dropping yet.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Lol. Of course he didn’t play. It was widely reported Cam’Ron stepped away from the team and is back home.

I knew he was told to take a few days off, I didn’t see where he’d stepped away. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slu72 said:

I knew he was told to take a few days off, I didn’t see where he’d stepped away. 

Yeah, it was referenced in a few of the articles because someone overheard him at the airport talking negatively about the program. Calipari’s most recent statement about the situation made it seem like he might return soon though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...