Atlantic 10 and National College Basketball Rumor Mill

Taj79

Anthony Grant's purge of the Dayton roster continues.  Freshman Matt Svoboda, literally a last second, throwaway recruit by Archie Miller before Miller bolted for Indiana, announced he is forgoing his college eligibility to turn pro.  There must be some desperate team back in eastern Europe for this guy to go to because in 28 games, he averaged 2.2 ppg and 1.2 rpg.  This guy can rival Andrew Latimore for worst foreign import ever. 

This leaves five holdovers from the Archies .... Josh Cunningham,. Trey Landers, Greek Freak 2.0, Ryan Mikesell and John Crosby and I expect Crosby to announce a transfer some time soon.  Also remaining are seldom-used Jordan Pierce and redshirted Obadiah Toppin.  With commitments from Jhery Matos and Dwayne Cohill, Grant still needs two more fills fo rhis roster (plus a third if Crosby goes).  Next year will be eyar two in Dayton down years I suppose.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

Adam Zagoria is saying nothing is imminent with Hurley taking any job. 

He may be playing UConn and Pitt off each other for the biggest payday possible. But Zags is also saying he'd stay at URI for less money if the school showed a greater commitment to the basketball program. This will be an interesting one to watch play out.

Hurley just might feel very comfortable at Little Rhody. He's built a nice program and has a pretty good incoming bunch of recruits. I can see him being a Few or a Marshall type. His dad built a very successful program at the Jersey HS and supposedly turned down college offers. Money might not be his motivating factor.  You take the P5 jobs at your own risk. A couple of bad years will get you a pink slip, albeit a nice severance package as well. See Travis Ford for example. None of us like Hurley's sideline antics but he's been good for the A10. It would be good for the conference to see some coaching rivalries develop over the next 5-10 years, as they add to interest in the conference.

23 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Hurley just might feel very comfortable at Little Rhody. He's built a nice program and has a pretty good incoming bunch of recruits. I can see him being a Few or a Marshall type. His dad built a very successful program at the Jersey HS and supposedly turned down college offers. Money might not be his motivating factor.  You take the P5 jobs at your own risk. A couple of bad years will get you a pink slip, albeit a nice severance package as well. See Travis Ford for example. None of us like Hurley's sideline antics but he's been good for the A10. It would be good for the conference to see some coaching rivalries develop over the next 5-10 years, as they add to interest in the conference.

Rhody will be down next year with all of their seniors graduating.  This is the perfect time for Hurley to cash in on a big payday with a P5 school.  However, if he can use the P5 schools to get a raise at Rhody, a longer term commitment, and more resources for the program, I hope he does that instead.  I hate Hurley, but him staying would be good for the A-10 and, therefore, good for SLU.

Hurley could look very similar to Archie Miller last year at Dayton.  End of a successful run.  Bulk of roster contributing to that run graduating.  Strike while the iron is hot.  Rhode Island essentially played seven guys this year and five are done -- Terrell, Matthews, Robinson, Garrett and Berry.  They have a solid backcourt back in Russell and Dowtin but the rest is weak.  Langevine and Akele are okay front liners in a front line by committee where they support, not lead.  Hurley does have a four-star power forward verbally committed in Jermaine Harris but does he leave if the coach cleaves? 

If Hurley uses the wooing to get a better deal at Rhode Island, and that cements Harris into staying, I think he'll be okay.  Maybe not next year but the year after because then he'll only lose Akele and essentially be re-primed for another run.  Bu the will never be hotter than now.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Rhody will be down next year with all of their seniors graduating.  This is the perfect time for Hurley to cash in on a big payday with a P5 school.  However, if he can use the P5 schools to get a raise at Rhody, a longer term commitment, and more resources for the program, I hope he does that instead.  I hate Hurley, but him staying would be good for the A-10 and, therefore, good for SLU.

going to Pitt would suck. you'll finish in the top half of the conference once every 5ish years. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

going to Pitt would suck. you'll finish in the top half of the conference once every 5ish years. 

I dunno.  Pitt was pretty freaking good in the 2000s.  They made the NCAAs every year from 2002 to 2011 with these seeds (3,2,3,9,5,3,4,1,3,1).  They probably should have tried to keep Jamie Dixon around.  I know that was in the Big East and winning the current ACC is probably harder (that league is stacked), but I think the right coach can win there.

Pitt offers Hurley a multi year contract at $3M per.  That tops UConn's offer, and undoubtedly any offer Rhody can make.  Hurley needs to go.  Does anyone remember Ben Jacobsen?  He was the flavor of the day a couple of years ago, could have jumped from N Iowa but stayed.  Unless you can repeat, ala Miller, Marshall, Smart when he was at VCU, you have to jump when you can.  Rhody would be an A10  top third team next year if Hurley stays.  But he won't, and his excellent recruiting class will collapse.

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Pitt offers Hurley a multi year contract at $3M per.  That tops UConn's offer, and undoubtedly any offer Rhody can make.  Hurley needs to go.  Does anyone remember Ben Jacobsen?  He was the flavor of the day a couple of years ago, could have jumped from N Iowa but stayed.  Unless you can repeat, ala Miller, Marshall, Smart when he was at VCU, you have to jump when you can.  Rhody would be an A10  top third team next year if Hurley stays.  But he won't, and his excellent recruiting class will collapse.

Rhode Island is the only contender for A-10 next to SLU for 2018-19 that I see with that recruiting class. 

14 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Jacobsen makes a million dollars a year and has damn near a lifetime contract at this point. I don’t think staying around was a bad thing for him. 

Jacobsen will still be a top contender for many jobs if people thought they could convince him to leave UNI.

7 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I dunno.  Pitt was pretty freaking good in the 2000s.  They made the NCAAs every year from 2002 to 2011 with these seeds (3,2,3,9,5,3,4,1,3,1).  They probably should have tried to keep Jamie Dixon around.  I know that was in the Big East and winning the current ACC is probably harder (that league is stacked), but I think the right coach can win there.

Not only Dixon but Howland had good years at Pitt also.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

-for the sake of the conference I hope Rhodey steps up, yes I'm spending other people's money, with an offer to keep Hurley, while I really don't like his sideline antics we need all the help we can get to keep or raise the profile of the league...assuming we will be raising it starting with the upcoming season

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

Pitt produced my favorite ESPN moment of my childhood.  “Send it in, Jerome”

Speaking of which, I was wondering if Arizona would let Sean Miller go and if Pitt would pursue him. Could make for an interesting redemption arc. But for now, it seems like he's hanging on to that Arizona job.

26 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Rumors on Twitter are that Uconn has agreed with Hurley. 

Supposedly the deal isn’t finalized.  Who knows?  I don’t think UConn is all that great of a job anymore, but it is hard to turn down over $3 million a year from a program that recently won a national championship.

Unfortunately, I think we are going to be dealing with this kind of junk next year with TF. Such is the life when you aren't in a power conference.

Or even when you are a 1 seed like Xavier and a job like Louisville opens up...