2018/19 Discussion/Optimism Thread

didn't know where to put this; what are you all's thoughts on our remaining pick(s)? Do we have one open for  roster this year? If so I wonder if we'd be best served to hold it for the next season. We are pretty loaded going into this season. Barring a S3 I think playing time is more of an issue than insufficient talent. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, almaman said:

didn't know where to put this; what are you all's thoughts on our remaining pick(s)? Do we have one open for  roster this year? If so I wonder if we'd be best served to hold it for the next season. We are pretty loaded going into this season. Barring a S3 I think playing time is more of an issue than insufficient talent. 

The backcourt is so young, a grad transfer would add leadership, stability, depth...odds seem good based on tweets and the SEC grad transfer report from @TheOne

53 minutes ago, almaman said:

We have 11 players for next year that are fully capable and one that may or may not be fully capable to play without restrictions. What to do with the one slot available is an interesting question, we will have to see what Ford does about it. 

6 hours ago, almaman said:

In grad transfer era, there’s literally no reason to save scholarships anymore. Getting a grad transfer is doing just that. You get (worst case) a depth player and the scholarship is still available for the next season. 

Id rather have Larry Austin Jr as depth than not use the scholarship. 

Box and Won likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

We need a backup point guard

Justin Coleman would be a nice final piece. As mentioned in another thread, we're one of three schools he's visited (with UAB and Texas Southern) and one of nine finalists (SLU, Marquette, Ohio State, Arizona, Auburn, SMU, UAB, NKU, Texas Southern).

i really dont care who we sign as a backup point guard.   while we all expect goodwin to play the lion's share of the minutes, we also know because of his aggressive play and his want to rebound and play the passing lanes, he fouls.  so even if someone does think he will play nearly every minute of every game, it isnt going to happen.   some think our existing and signed incoming wings can do the job.   first off do you want to be moving players to unfamiliar postions and weaken two positions?  second, (and not to knock our freshmen coming in, they are all reputed to be very good players) do you want to trust this responsibility to players that are not only new to college basketball and a whole new level of play and competition, but also new to the needed mindset of a point guard? 

i say the best scenario is we:

1 - make recruiting a top point guard for the class of 2019 a high priority that can learn for a couple of years under goodwin.

2 - sign a graduate transfer that has the experience and knowledge to competently play the point guard position in most games for 5 minutes a game to give goodwin a break.   I think it was Willie that said, this graduate transfer doesnt have to be goodwin skillwise, but if they can play the spot with no mistakes and more or less be at least an upgrade over hines, we are doing good.    

but to assume we are good with our existing 12 player roster i think that would be a big mistake and likely cost us a game or two minimum.   we need a real point guard to backup goodwin.  

18 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Didn't know where to put this.  Another article from Stu today.  Ford is trying to turn everybody into a shooter.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/ford-striving-to-make-every-slu-player-a--point/article_c11d272c-6238-53fe-bf31-4b036a1401f9.html

I don't see French developing a consistent 3 pointer. (This is like a reverse jinx). 

If he did, he would be a legit NBA prospect as a wing. I see him staying as the perfect college 4.

37 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Didn't know where to put this.  Another article from Stu today.  Ford is trying to turn everybody into a shooter.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/ford-striving-to-make-every-slu-player-a--point/article_c11d272c-6238-53fe-bf31-4b036a1401f9.html

Article pretty much indicates Welmer is going to try to play next season. 

Too bad for the haters on this board.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Article pretty much indicates Welmer is going to try to play next season. 

Too bad for the haters on this board.

I'm not a hater, I wish he had been able to play last year when we needed him, BUT he couldn't/didn't.  I  just don't see him offering anything to the team next year with the talent now on the roster.  I think 3 years of Billiken scholarships for one average year of play is enough, it's time to move on and not tie up 2 more scholarship years.  However, if we are in a position to carry him for another year w/o needing his scholarship, then that's fine with me.

I do find it almost unbelievable that on April 18th he still is not able to take part in workouts.  That in itself tells me he can never be someone you can count on.

Considering we were 314th out of 351 D1 teams in 3-point shooting, this is an obvious area that needs to be addressed. Bess and Goodwin are very versatile, but the challenge with this lineup is that they have the same weakness. They do so many other things well that they have to get a lot of minutes together. If they could each at least get over 30% from 3, that will be a tremendous plus. On free throws, if French could at least get over 50% and Foreman over 60% that will also help. IF we don't add another player, two of the four newcomers (Pearson, Thatch, Thor or Jacobs) will need to at least provide some kind of threat from 3-point land to help spread the floor. The return of Wellmer, even though he may not see many minutes, at least provides another 3-point option that would be helpful with certain match-ups.

50 minutes ago, bauman said:

I  just don't see him offering anything to the team next year with the talent now on the roster. 

Welmer will help a lot when other teams play man to man defense.  He'll allow french/santos/gordon to have the whole paint to work with

21 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Wait what? Are you sure?

Perhaps one of us in not following the other.

Yeah, I'm sure that a free throw is not (usually) a jumper.

A jumpshot, or jumper, is a shot when the player jumps and his feet completely leave the floor.  Rarely do players attempting a free throw jump during the attempt, but they lift just their heels off the floor.  It's more of a set shot.

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Perhaps one of us in not following the other.

Yeah, I'm sure that a free throw is not (usually) a jumper.

A jumpshot, or jumper, is a shot when the player jumps and his feet completely leave the floor.  Rarely do players attempting a free throw jump during the attempt, but they lift just their heels off the floor.  It's more of a set shot.

haha - yes, I'm not a moron. The last post was a joke, but thanks for the explanation. What I was trying to say was that if French would vastly improve his FTs, he'd be nearly unstoppable.

edit: I'm laughing re-reading the post. As Frank Cusumano would say, "Terrific stuff"

I remember a sequence vs Richmond during Welmer’s freshman year where he had two dunks and two 3s on four consecutive possessions (may have been five possessions, but whatever). 

If he healthy, and that’s a big “if,” he has a role to play on this team. 

16 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

haha - yes, I'm not a moron. The last post was a joke, but thanks for the explanation. What I was trying to say was that if French would vastly improve his FTs, he'd be nearly unstoppable.

edit: I'm laughing re-reading the post. As Frank Cusumano would say, "Terrific stuff"

Well, as I said, it could have been that I wasn't following you -- not getting the joke.