2018/19 Discussion/Optimism Thread

There’s no question that a healthy Welmer is an incredibly valuable player. It’s hard to imagine you can count on him being healthy given the number and nature of his injuries but he had a good freshman year and offers a skill-set that nobody else on the team can match.

He’ll also be in essence a 5th-year sophomore I think (4th season at SLU plus prep school), which I always think leads to stronger and more mature players.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more highlight videos of Demarius I watch, the more excited I get. As others have mentioned, he finishes some incredible layups. Also appears to have pretty good handles. If he has any semblance of a jump shot, he will be an incredible scorer at the college level. 

November can’t come soon enough. 

21 hours ago, NH said:

There’s no question that a healthy Welmer is an incredibly valuable player. It’s hard to imagine you can count on him being healthy given the number and nature of his injuries but he had a good freshman year and offers a skill-set that nobody else on the team can match.

He’ll also be in essence a 5th-year sophomore I think (4th season at SLU plus prep school), which I always think leads to stronger and more mature players.

It's best for SLU and Welmer to give it another shot next year. We already have one other scholarship to give, so we don't need to free up Welmer's this year. IF it is clear following next season that EW doesn't have a future here, I imagine he'll be in position to be a two-year grad transfer, which would make him very attractive to a lot of other programs. If EW is healthy and all goes well, he gives SLU the true stretch big they could use. 

I figure French and Gordon will be the two primary bigs, with Santos, Foreman and Welmer battling for the remaining minutes. All three bring something different. Santos strikes me as a physical, old school big who will do his damage in the paint. Foreman more athletic and plays away from the basket and looks to drive. I don't ever recall him really posting up much at all. And Welmer, the prototypical stretch big. If all the bigs are healthy and available, foul trouble should never be a problem. Since each bring a different skill set, Ford can do a lot of mixing based on match-ups. The frontline figures to be pretty well equipped to handle any kind of match-up.

3 minutes ago, Brighton said:

I hope the recent scandal didn't play a role in that.

Huh? It’s not like the university or Athletics department tried to cover anything up.  In fact, they went total opposite direction and ruined the lives of four young men.  But that has been discussed extensively here and doesn’t need to be rehashed.

If it has a role, the role is that it robbed us of an NCAA tournament appearance... one desperately needed to boost perception of our program again after the Crewsplatt years. 

39 minutes ago, Brighton said:

New poster here. The 2018-19 team will be good enough to earn an entry into the Big East Conference .

I’m sure you are.

28 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Thanks !

I'm just now getting into college basketball. I grew up near the Grand Center and was a casual Bills fan.

I’m sure you did.

14 minutes ago, Brighton said:

I hear the midtown area  has been renovated over the years. Hopefully that will be enough for them.

I’m sure that won’t matter.

9 minutes ago, Brighton said:

If you think it was a troll post, then you're wrong. 

I don’t think it was. I’m sure it was.

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

What are your thoughts on SLU moving to the Valley? How about our coverage in the P-D?

Perfect vetting questions?