2018/19 Discussion/Optimism Thread

>If we get a GT who is better than Jgood at the point, this may be the best lineup: GT - Jgood - Bess - Gordon - French>

You think we'll get that GT that's better than what many around here thinks has a chance to be a top 5 all time Billiken, before or after Blues win the Cup?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, almaman said:

>If we get a GT who is better than Jgood at the point, this may be the best lineup: GT - Jgood - Bess - Gordon - French>

You think we'll get that GT that's better than what many around here thinks has a chance to be a top 5 all time Billiken, before or after Blues win the Cup?

Many thought Ty Graves would be our starting pg midseason.

6 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I know everyone wants another shooter, but it sure seems to me that our biggest issue is a quality pg when Goodwin is on the bench. Maybe TF can find us McCall 2.0 and solve both issues. 

We are going to be so light on guards if Gordon isn’t a wing...

17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

We are going to be so light on guards if Gordon isn’t a wing...

PG - goodwin

wings - bess, phillips, johnson, pearson, thatch.   

needing 120 minutes of playing time and bess and goodwin will collectively  take 60-70 minutes per game.   that leaves 50-60 minutes per game for the rest (4 players average 10-15 minutes each) to SPLIT.  and that is assuming ford brings in nobody else.  we know he will likely bring in at least 2 more players.  Yes we need a legitimate safe back up point guard.  and beyond johnson, we havent a proven three point threat amongst any of them even though we are told that pearson is a three point threat and it appears thatch has greatly improved his outside shooting.  but i do not think we are light on guards if quantity and minutes are what constitutes "light". 

i definitely wouldnt sacrifice one of the best high school "bigs' in the country to play the wing and likely not do any better offensively from the wing than all the players above and would likely be mediocre trying to guard extremely quick 2 guards and small forwards.  losing him on the inside would also weaken a stronghold of inside players assuming he is likely the best or second best of the bigs we will have next season.  i just dont see it.  

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

wings - phillips  

I guess you mean Jacobs?

FWIW, I think Thatch is good enough to be an all-league defensive player. As aggressive as we are on defense, I think he could really get a lot of PT.

We just don't have a lot of guys who can handle the ball on this team. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Jacobs, but Thatch, Bess, Pearson, and Johnson aren't exactly PGs. Thatch reminded me of Bess in the way they are great rebounders, but once they get the rebound, they find the PG. However, I'm VERY bullish on this team next year. I've said before on here I think they're the best team in the league. What makes me nervous is the concern that this team without a PG doesn't allow Goodwin to play off the ball, where he flourished last season. Honestly - what happens if the other team's best player is a Chaz Williams/Briante Weber type guard? Who guards him? I don't know if there is anyone on the roster who can keep up.

6 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I guess you mean Jacobs?

duh.   where the heck did i get phillips?   thanks for the correction.   

Ya all are missing the big one.  On this very forum, billikens.com, St. Louis Hoops Insider proclaimed that Bess has point guard skills and could have played PG for Izzo.  Coach Ford didn't see it that way, but if STLHI says it, it's true.  Problem of backup PG solved.

the key to goodwins success at the point is outside shooters.   if we have henriquez like shooters at the wing.  goodwin may average a triple double

2 hours ago, almaman said:

STOP RIGHT THERE.  Many on this board INSISTED that Coach Ford promised, yes promised J Goodwin the PG position, no conditions attached.  Now what are you saying, Coach should back down from his "promise' and put Goodwin at off guard?  

4 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Goodwin

Bess

Johnson

Gordon

French

🔥

Here’s the lineup I see

Goodwin -PG

Pearson - SG

Bess - SF

Gordon - PF

French - C

This lineup will allow us to run and defend at a high level. In a recent interview I heard TF comment that MP’s ball handling was outstanding, in fact he said it was better than most of the current Billikens. While not the biggest lineup we could put on the floor, all 5 of these players are dominant rebounders and defenders.

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Here’s the lineup I see

Goodwin -PG

Pearson - SG

Bess - SF

Gordon - PF

French - C

This lineup will allow us to run and defend at a high level. In a recent interview I heard TF comment that MP’s ball handling was outstanding, in fact he said it was better than most of the current Billikens. While not the biggest lineup we could put on the floor, all 5 of these players are dominant rebounders and defenders.

What makes you say Pearson and Gordon are dominant defenders? I don’t know this to be false, just haven’t seen it 

3 minutes ago, NH said:

What makes you say Pearson and Gordon are dominant defenders? I don’t know this to be false, just haven’t seen it 

Obviously both have to prove it at the college level, but based on reports I’ve read both have that reputation. Both certainly have the athletic ability and length to be great defenders. As for Gordon, I’ve seen enough of him personally to be convinced of his defensive prowess.

Thatch is going to be one of this most physically ready freshman we have had in this program.  There is no way he is redshirting.  

By the way Thatch was named the SEMO player of the year and POY in Class 4.   This article says he ended up shooting 41% from the 3.  Not sure if that is accurate or not, but he had a dominant season.

http://www.semoball.com/story/2495139.html

34 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Thatch is going to be one of this most physically ready freshman we have had in this program.  There is no way he is redshirting.  

By the way Thatch was named the SEMO player of the year and POY in Class 4.   This article says he ended up shooting 41% from the 3.  Not sure if that is accurate or not, but he had a dominant season.

http://www.semoball.com/story/2495139.html

Don't think anyone's redshirting

26 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Redshirting doesn’t make as much sense as it use to with the new grad transfer rule. You would risk losing them to another team for their final year.

It doesn't make any sense at all unless the player isn't physically ready or the team is completely loaded already.  Face it, we need ball handlers.  If Thatch and Pearson can handle the ball at all they will get major minutes.  Goodwin and Bess shouldn't and won't play 40 minutes a game next year barring situation 3.  We have to get to a place where we are not gassing our stars to death......

dennis_w and gobillsgo like this

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

It doesn't make any sense at all unless the player isn't physically ready or the team is completely loaded already.  Face it, we need ball handlers.  If Thatch and Pearson can handle the ball at all they will get major minutes.  Goodwin and Bess shouldn't and won't play 40 minutes a game next year barring situation 3.  We have to get to a place where we are not gassing our stars to death......

You are right - after 2 years of short benches and no depth at a position the last thing we need is to be redshirting anybody.  

gobillsgo likes this