2018/19 Discussion/Optimism Thread

I think one of Thatch, Pearson, or Jacobs will earn a pretty big role on next year's team. There's a need for a shooter and/or a guy who can handle the ball/create to help Goodwin. Hopefully all of those guys can get on campus early this summer and carve out that role

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, slu72 said:

To Win: Defend and Rebound- Rick Majerus

Amen.

There's no question this will be an elite rebounding team. We were actually stronger defensively than I expected this past season. I think the roster limitations forced Ford to do some things on the defensive end he otherwise wouldn't have done, and he and the returning players probably learned some lessons in the process. We should be a solid defensive unit this year.

Foreman was coming off a significant injury and a redshirt season but he still made too many freshman mistakes last year. I really like him coming in off the bench and giving high energy, efficient scoring, and disruptive defense, but I also think he'll have a very short leash from Ford next year. I think he can really be a catalyst when we need a run but I like Gordon and French more in the halfcourt offense. 

2 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Foreman was coming off a significant injury and a redshirt season but he still made too many freshman mistakes last year. I really like him coming in off the bench and giving high energy, efficient scoring, and disruptive defense, but I also think he'll have a very short leash from Ford next year. I think he can really be a catalyst when we need a run but I like Gordon and French more in the halfcourt offense. 

Right. Also there will be games in which foreman is needed, and some where theres no need at all depending on the style we go with or the style of the other team. 

4 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I envision Pearson at the top of that one three one with that wingspan in passing lanes. i think he will be a major surprise on defense and scoring

I can't find it anywhere, but I'm pretty sure his wingspan is 7 feet. He moves extremely well. He just has to get up to the speed and physicality of the college game. Once he does, he has potential to be an extremely disruptive defender, as you say above.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I can't find it anywhere, but I'm pretty sure his wingspan is 7 feet. He moves extremely well. He just has to get up to the speed and physicality of the college game. Once he does, he has potential to be an extremely disruptive defender, as you say above.

I can't tell if Pearson is a bit slow, or if he has Dwayne Evans syndrome --- he is moving quickly, but just has long strides and just looks slow. 

VeniceMenace likes this

8 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I can't tell if Pearson is a bit slow, or if he has Dwayne Evans syndrome --- he is moving quickly, but just has long strides and just looks slow. 

Probably the latter. You can get a sense of his stride in these:

Plenty of other video out there, as well. He moves well for his size, with and without the ball. I don't think I'd call him "quick" or "fast" necessarily in a blurb, but he's definitely not slow for his size.

RiseAndGrind likes this

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Probably the latter. You can get a sense of his stride in these:

Plenty of other video out there, as well. He moves well for his size, with and without the ball. I don't think I'd call him "quick" or "fast" necessarily in a blurb, but he's definitely not slow for his size.

Man, he is big. I counted 4 steps from half court to free throw line on the Dunk before he started shuffling his feet. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Think this was posted early in the season but worthy of a second look.

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/sports/basketball_preview/having-all-around-game-drives-pearson/article_bbd1b698-d0c8-11e7-92c7-6307584e5905.html

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

How long did ricky cranford last? did he make it to sec. semester? I would hope that none of our recruits would fall into the cranford category

i will never forget the build up.  hughes had just left for the nba draft and spoon announced he had the new york public league mvp or scoring leader or something spectacular coming in ricky cranford to replace hughes.   the first game, cranford doesnt even get off the bench.  the second exhibition game cranford gets in the game at the end and as soon as he touched the ball he seemed so ackward and non skilled.   i looked at my son and said, "what the hell?"   did he finish the year?   i dont remember.   i just remember he was awful.   thereafter i hesitate hyping any player i have not personally seen and not buying into the publicity we read online etc.   the cranford syndrome is real.  

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

What brought that on?

well apparently cheeseman doesnt read my posts.   :lol:

In my view, Foreman is a one trick pony.  It is a very, very good trick, but his game is slashing and finishing at the rim.  He did that to the tune of a very great 63%.  But how many 10-15 foot jump shots did he hit this year?  I don't know but I'm guessing you could count them on two hands.  His 3.4 rpg was low for someone playing his minutes.  His ORB were 1.1 rpg, but how many of them were on bunnies he missed?  He also only blocked 10 shots, which was half the number Anthony blocked in significantly fewer minutesand half of Johnson's total.  51% FT shooter, no thanks.  After 4 years of college practices, you would hope that he had it figured out.  It ain't gonna happen.

He did play on the point of the 1-3-1, but if you noticed, he tired quickly out there.  After a few shifts, he was a step slow. 

Yes we need Foreman moving forward.  Starting is for high schoolers. Let him get his minutes in key spurts.  He can bring a lift to the team.

Zink likes this

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i will never forget the build up.  hughes had just left for the nba draft and spoon announced he had the new york public league mvp or scoring leader or something spectacular coming in ricky cranford to replace hughes.   the first game, cranford doesnt even get off the bench.  the second exhibition game cranford gets in the game at the end and as soon as he touched the ball he seemed so ackward and non skilled.   i looked at my son and said, "what the hell?"   did he finish the year?   i dont remember.   i just remember he was awful.   thereafter i hesitate hyping any player i have not personally seen and not buying into the publicity we read online etc.   the cranford syndrome is real.  

I don't even remember Ricky Cranford coming in.  I remember being excited for Love and Tatum coming in as transfers but that was it.

11 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I dont think spoon even went to see recruits, when you think of barantine and cranford he couldnt possibly think they were players if he had seen them

add greg hardin to that list.   wow.  

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

add greg hardin to that list.   wow.  

I found this article about the great Ricky Cranford.....

St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

IMPACT OF HUGHES' EXIT MIGHT BE SEVERE FOR SLU.(Sports)(Profile\Larry Hughes)

Article from: St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO) | April 8, 1998 | Eisenbath, Mike inShare

Although Ricky Cranford is from New York City, is attending a prep school in Connecticut and probably won't be a part of St. Louis University for several months, he has a pretty good sense of what the loss of Larry Hughes will mean to Billikens fans.

"I know St. Louis is going to be hurting over this news," Cranford said.

Like SLU fans, Cranford had great expectations for the next few Billikens basketball seasons in large part because of Hughes, the nation's top freshman this year. Cranford, regarded as one of the top 10 prep players in the country, committed to SLU largely because he wanted to play with Hughes.

So when he heard Tuesday that Hughes plans to announce at a Thursday news conference that he is eligible for the June 24 NBA draft, Cranford was caught off guard.

"I didn't believe it," Cranford said. "It shocked me. I planned on playing with him. Still, as of now, I'm planning to sign with St. Louis. I liked other things about the team and the school than just Larry.

"I haven't talked to my parents yet, though. The coaches at St. Louis called me and told me about what Larry was doing. …

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I think Ford had a short leash for DJ this year. Agree with Roy,we became a better team when DJ played. He will play. Santos is the big question for me.