Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

49 minutes ago, Old guy said:

In Pearson's case it is  not only Kentucky, it is the Appalachian mountain area of Kentucky. This is a region where the people in Rivals and other outfits cannot conceive anything good ever comes out of. Something similar could be said about Thatch. Sikeston?, no way. Rankings do not always reflect reality. There are a lot of expectations placed on kids signing up with the "right" programs and coming out of the "right" places, other kids that do not sign with the right schools or come from the right places may go entirely under the radar. I fully agree with Roy, I believe this was the case with Pearson.

Will he have the physicality and quickness to succeed freshman year? Just about every freshman faces the same questions in stepping up to the college level.

I agree all other aspects look great. His rebounding, scoring and shooting percentages improved year after year. Good sign to go with that huge wingspan.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

In Pearson's case it is  not only Kentucky, it is the Appalachian mountain area of Kentucky. This is a region where the people in Rivals and other outfits cannot conceive anything good ever comes out of. Something similar could be said about Thatch. Sikeston?, no way. Rankings do not always reflect reality. There are a lot of expectations placed on kids signing up with the "right" programs and coming out of the "right" places, other kids that do not sign with the right schools or come from the right places may go entirely under the radar. I fully agree with Roy, I believe this was the case with Pearson.

Actually, the SE MO area has historically has produced some very good players - Hansbrough for one.  I am sure that area gets less visits in genereal but when a good player is there all the big name coaches always make the trek.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Actually, the SE MO area has historically has produced some very good players - Hansbrough for one.  I am sure that area gets less visits in genereal but when a good player is there all the big name coaches always make the trek.

SLU used to have a nice little pipeline to Charleston

14 hours ago, Old guy said:

That's the other side of the state. Eastern Kentucky = Appalachia. The team that beat John Hardin at state was from EKY.

Pearson is from Elizabethtown, in Western Kentucky. Far enough from Louisville to be its own thing and not just suburban Louisville.

However, I think there is something to players from certain parts of the country being underrated because they're not in the most fertile areas for basketball talent. If he lived in a big city or in a place where more scouts and writers were located, he'd probably be more highly rated. Most people working for Scout/247, Rivals, Prep Hoops, Future150, and the rest of them haven't seen him play at all for his HS team.

He played on the Adidas Gauntlet circuit in AAU, which along with Under Armour doesn't quite get the number of eyes that the Nike EYBL circuit gets. Plus, he was on a team with a 5-star player (Romeo Langford) who was basically Kobe for them, while he was one of 5-6 of Langford's supporting cast, which also included Jaxson Hayes (Texas), Trevon Faulkner (KY Mr. Basketball, NKU), Andrew Taylor (Furman), Adam Kunkel (Belmont), Dontaie Allen (2019 3-star), and more. Mickey's usage fluctuated greatly depending on the event. Some weekends he was their second leading scorer. Some weekends he wasn't starting, and would be outside the top 5 in minutes and most stats. The team was basically Romeo and everyone else. Some teams manage players better to get them more attention, but I don't get the sense that was the case with this team.

Anyway, maybe I'm making excuses for him, but I really think he's good enough to have been nationally ranked in that 100-150 range. Regardless, it can be helpful when guys fly under the radar like that because it can feel like we got a steal.

Thatch also went all out on his prom invite:

I'm glad there was no social media when I was in HS, so there were no grand prom-ask expectations. Custom kicks! Above and beyond, Fred.

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

Thatch also went all out on his prom invite:

I'm glad there was no social media when I was in HS, so there were no grand prom-ask expectations. Custom kicks! Above and beyond, Fred.

What happened to dumping your gal right before prom so you didn't have to pay for all that nonsense and could just straight party.

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

What happened to dumping your gal right before prom so you didn't have to pay for all that nonsense and could just straight party.

See the posts above yours....

it seems that Fred is actually a good person and is nice to people, unlike many of us

I was definelty speaking on the practice of rituals and gifts for just asking a girl to go to prom.  Seems silly.  

Thatch looks like n upright citizen for sure.

23 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I was definelty speaking on the practice of rituals and gifts for just asking a girl to go to prom.  Seems silly.  

Thatch looks like n upright citizen for sure.

The key is to get the gals to ask you then you don't have to pay.

I used to brag about blowing off girls to fish instead of going to the prom now I push my grandkids to go to the prom.

Fred and many other Billiken players is what I love about Billiken basketball and I am so excited to see him playing in November.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Man I must be really old - way back then you waited to the last minute to ask and the girls didn't expect anything just glad not to be staying home.

Also a nice play. With so many single sex schools in St. Louis getting invited to a girl's prom was much better than going to your own.

It was free and you didn't need to worry about getting busted for smelling like booze.

I need some help from board members. I was having a discussion with a spumac message board poster and he tells me thatch is d-2 marginal d-1 player,not athletic and had very few offers. A mvc player at best. Kim anderson offered but certainly would not be an sec player. my question is What offers did he get and were there any p-5 offers beside mu? why is he thought of as not athletic? i would like to have some good replies to his comments. thanks in advance

24 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I need some help from board members. I was having a discussion with a spumac message board poster and he tells me thatch is d-2 marginal d-1 player,not athletic and had very few offers. A mvc player at best. Kim anderson offered but certainly would not be an sec player. my question is What offers did he get and were there any p-5 offers beside mu? why is he thought of as not athletic? i would like to have some good replies to his comments. thanks in advance

Offers from SLU, Mizzou, and Tulsa. Creighton, Wichita State, and Arkansas were in the mix. Arkansas was trying to get him to visit right before he committed, and it’s fairly well known they were going to offer on his visit.

He committed early in the process, or else his recruitment would’ve “blown up.”

dennis_w likes this

21 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Fred is definitely a D-1 player.  I believe he had an offer from Tulsa as well.  He fits in with the type of players Ford is bringing in.  He gets after it on the court and is a great competitor.  He and Jacobs will definitely help in the backcourt.

CBFan and dennis_w like this

44 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

You should know that the format of tigerboard is enough to make any sane person lose their mind 

46 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

1) Ignore Mizzou fans

2) See step 1 

3) Thatch is awesome