Coaching movement that might affect SLU

The Billiken's Lair at Fusz currently has the following dining options: Subway, Jamba Juice, Qdoba, and Grill Works. All are self explanatory except for Grill Works, which is burgers and fries and a staple of other Aramark campuses. There is also general stuff for sale similar to when there was a small store in DeMatt. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

In my opinion, there are too many people saying that they are hearing Ford is expressing interest in Mizzou and other potential openings for it to be nothing. We had also heard not long ago that Ford was not thrilled with things here at SLU, so this should come as no surprise. As far as Ford the candidate though, I can't imagine he is overly high on the list of many high major programs at this point. A year from now that may be a completely different story. Regardless, I like the odds of Ford being around SLU for at least another season. Not sure beyond that.

I don't know either way, but he looked like a proud papa last night during the post-game pressed.

3 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

best days of my life were hoop'n at the rec, loading up on pizza hut/kfc express, then going back to the crib to spark it up 

Wouldn't you spark it up and then go to get the grub?  In my day it was sparkfest and then a run to Naugles for a macho cheese green burrito.

3 hours ago, waldo027 said:

I had mixed feelings on Wackadoo's in the BSC back in the day. I liked the atmosphere but the service was absolutely terrible. When it became Salsarita's, I liked that more. The nachos and quesadillas were pretty good, and you didn't have to wait for your food as you basically served yourself. 

Wackadoos had a killer buffalo chicken sandwich. I also watched that ridiculous NIT game against ND there. Good times. 

43 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

Wouldn't you spark it up and then go to get the grub?  In my day it was sparkfest and then a run to Naugles for a macho cheese green burrito.

there was plenty of that, but we worked up a good appetite after hoop-in.... then sparkfest commenced with NBA Live 2005 on playstation.... you could draft your own teams on that version.... sometimes the draft would take hours with my roommates 

9 hours ago, almaman said:

Second Anderson era over. If Ford replaces he's a great bullshtter he sure sounded committed on the post game chat

Bernie today said that from who he has talked to that Ford is a second tier guy for Missouri and that he thinks that he may just be trying to get something for the program as leverage.

28 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Bernie today said that from who he has talked to that Ford is a second tier guy for Missouri and that he thinks that he may just be trying to get something for the program as leverage.

-this makes much more sense to me than Coach Ford leaving, but we'll see

-cheese, you have my admiration for being able to listen to BM

I got blasted for suggesting that there was something to this, and now it seems like most are at least admitting that there's enough noise in the media that there must be something to the rumors.  Go ahead and give your obligatory the media are liars speeches again if you want, but I'm going to face the facts.  Several sources are saying that Ford is "expressing interest" in other jobs.  That means one of two things.  Either it's a ploy to try to get SLU to fulfill the promises it made to him (i.e. refurbishing locker rooms and creating player lounge) or he really is interested in leaving and is using Gordon and Thatch as incentive for any interested school.  I don't care what tier people think he is on as a coach, those two players are game changers for a program, obviously more Gordon than Thatch, and Ford's recruiting abilities in general are enticing.

Let's suppose for a second that he doesn't intend to leave, but that it is a ploy to get SLU's attention.  Does that not bother anyone on this board?!  We appear to have a great situation going here with Coach Ford.  If he's pissed that he was promised a locker room and lounge, you should all be pissed that he doesn't have those things already like he was promised.  Why does nobody here seem to care about that?  We shouldn't have to put up with getting excited about the future only to, once again, have the carpet pulled out from underneath our feet because of BS like Pestello not coming through on a promise.

Also, someone questioned my previous post about why I blame Pestello.  Simple answer: He buried his head in the sand for several years while the finances went to s#*t.  Now we have something like a $16 million dollar deficit.  He knew when he came in that Biondi was out because he was "the bad guy" and Pestello decided he needed to be liked by everyone instead of making hard decisions about finances.  Now its biting him in the ass.  Also, if this is the reason Ford hasn't got his locker room and lounge, then it's also biting the athletic department in the ass.  That would not be May's fault.  That would be Pestello's fault if non-athletic budget problems are affecting money for athletics.

56 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I got blasted for suggesting that there was something to this, and now it seems like most are at least admitting that there's enough noise in the media that there must be something to the rumors.  Go ahead and give your obligatory the media are liars speeches again if you want, but I'm going to face the facts.  Several sources are saying that Ford is "expressing interest" in other jobs.  That means one of two things.  Either it's a ploy to try to get SLU to fulfill the promises it made to him (i.e. refurbishing locker rooms and creating player lounge) or he really is interested in leaving and is using Gordon and Thatch as incentive for any interested school.  I don't care what tier people think he is on as a coach, those two players are game changers for a program, obviously more Gordon than Thatch, and Ford's recruiting abilities in general are enticing.

Let's suppose for a second that he doesn't intend to leave, but that it is a ploy to get SLU's attention.  Does that not bother anyone on this board?!  We appear to have a great situation going here with Coach Ford.  If he's pissed that he was promised a locker room and lounge, you should all be pissed that he doesn't have those things already like he was promised.  Why does nobody here seem to care about that?  We shouldn't have to put up with getting excited about the future only to, once again, have the carpet pulled out from underneath our feet because of BS like Pestello not coming through on a promise.

Also, someone questioned my previous post about why I blame Pestello.  Simple answer: He buried his head in the sand for several years while the finance went to s#*t.  Now we have something like a $16 million dollar deficit.  He knew when he came in that Biondi was out because he was "the bad guy" and Pestello decided he needed to be liked be everyone instead of making hard decisions about finances.  Now its biting him in the ass.  Also, if this is the reason Ford hasn't got his locker room and lounge, then it's also biting the athletic department in the ass.  That would not be May's fault.  That would be Pestello's fault if non-athletic budget problems are affecting money for athletics.

Amen brotha.

Ford won't leave after 1 year.  Maybe after 3.  His family is settled, and he basically has 7'of "his" guys next year.  There's the opportunity to do some big things.  Any coach with half a brain wouldn't jump ship for a SEC job, nobody gives a crap about basketball in that conference - except UK and Florida.  He can have success at SLU for awhile, use the Mizzou opening to get leverage ($) at SLU, and leave for a bigger and better job later if he wants.  Honestly, the NC State job would be much better than Mizzou IMO.

Good luck to whoever is Mizzou's next coach getting recruits to go there.  There's a stigma on the school that will be tough to get rid of.

19 minutes ago, TRN said:

Ford won't leave after 1 year.  Maybe after 3.  

After his 3rd year, 2019, that's when we're expecting to make a run.  A lot of AD's will see that in 3 years he went from inheriting a horrible team and winning 12 games, to what could be a 25+ win season. 

Everyone knows how you get things done with the foo foo Pestello administration. Go sit around the clock tower with a bunch of folks of various colors and rhyme about non consensual sex with white undergrads. Bonus points for doing it on an applicant your day. 

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Also, someone questioned my previous post about why I blame Pestello.  Simple answer: He buried his head in the sand for several years while the finance went to s#*t.  Now we have something like a $16 million dollar deficit. 

Do we know this to be the case?  I don't know what kind of situation he inherited.

Just now, Box and Won said:

Do we know this to be the case?  I don't know what kind of situation he inherited.

He was told to raise the academic standings of the school.  That takes money to retain top people so naturally you are going to find a drain on the money.  Biondi was a bottom line guy and he did not mind if the school's standings dropped if he was saving money.  This is a chicken or the egg kind of a situation.  I tend to think that the school like all organizations who have large funds or endowments to invest simply could not go for 8 years making 1-2% on their money given that they were concerned with capital protection since they just got out of a situation where they all lost 40-50% in 2008.  At some point dividends and interest rates have to go up - it is the same problem retired people and  pension plans have - they just are not getting anything on their money/investments and so what do they do - decrease the pot and then get even less or just keep cutting expenses?  This issue with the school is simply what is going on every place who are expecting to get 8-9% on their money which use to be the rule of thumb - take a billion and figure what 8% is and you see it is what $80,000,000.  I do realize that all 1 billion is not invested same what but my point is even if  25% is you have your 16 million you are short.

Coach Ford is not leaving after one year.  It would be a foolish thing to do on all fronts, and plain & simple I don't believe he is that kind of person, and he certainly is not foolish.  With that said if there is something to the "rumors" (which I don't believe there are) perhaps Coach Ford and Athletic Director May are in it together to get the facility upgrades.  Sometimes at any business you have to play a little politics to get what you want.  Saint Louis University is a business!  People tend to forget that in education.  Also what makes money at SLU and the the potential to make a lot more... Men''s Basketball.  The University understands this now and is prepared to invest accordingly.  The financial challenges at SLU are not as bad as reported, I know this, that's all I can or will say), and I applaud The University for making the tough fiscal decisions.  The cost of a college education in general is out of control, and many colleges and universities across the country are in similar situations.  Mizzou is dealing with a major shortfall in funding. 

Will Coach Ford leave at some time for greener pastures?  Perhaps?  Everyone does not aspire to coach / work at a giant state university in a small crap town.  Maybe he does, maybe he does not.  There is something to be said for work / life / family balance at a top flight institution that is basketball focused in a significant metropolitan city.  Marquette, Xavier, Butler, Creighton, SLU to name but a few.  Saint Louis is a great place to live and at this stage in the Ford's family life moving is not easy.  Those of you older folks on this board who have raised your family understand this.  The Millennials who do not have kids or have little ones will see when your your family gets to high school age.  A third school for his kids in two years is incredibly disruptive in the most formative of years.  For a little more money?  No way...

If I am wrong and Coach Ford does leave then I have every confidence that SLU would "step-up" again and hire an appropriate replacement.  I do not believe I am wrong so with that said, I am excited about Coach Ford and the future of Saint Louis University Men's Basketball and looking forward to watching Coach Ford and his staff continue their positive momentum.  And I am done with this silly thread.

Macallan 18 Out...  

15 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Wackadoos had a killer buffalo chicken sandwich. I also watched that ridiculous NIT game against ND there. Good times. 

+1, saw Jim Gaffigan there and Andy Ruther (LL Walsh alum)