Coaching movement that might affect SLU

7 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Hmm nah I don't buy that. Rick showed the program's potential, but the program had the stink of CrewsPlatt all over it when Ford took over. Wasn't just interim. It was Crews' program at that point. 

Ford knew of the potential of slu under Rick M. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I view Crews as an interim coach while we were waiting for something better. Ford wasn't looking at SLU as a program under Crews, rather one started back up by Rick M. 

It doesn't work like that... Crews was the hired head coach for 2 years. You can't change history to fit your point

Just now, ACE said:

It's hard to say Fitzgerald built Gonzaga. He only made one NCAA Tourney trip in 15 years. Monson was only their for 2 years. First year was NIT, second was the Elite 8 and then he bolted. We'll never know if Monson would have been able to sustain that success, but Few certainly came in at a good time and took the program to another level of consistency. Really remarkable what Few has been able to do for so long. Monson's one NCAA Tourney trip would have just been a blip if Few hadn't taken the program to another level.

Fitzgerald took over a program that never had a post season appearance before he became the coach.  They had only two 20 win seasons.  In his last four seasons they won 20 games three times, two conference championships, made two NITs and one NCAA tournament.  He hired Monson as an assistant and main recruiter.  Monson eventually became associate head coach. Monson convinced Fitzgerald to hire Few as an assistant.  Monson took over when Fitzgerald stepped down.  In two seasons Monson won 52 games, two conference titles, made the NIT and had an Elite 8 NCAA run.

In the six seasons before Few took over, Gonzaga won 20 games 5 times, won the conference 4 times, made the NIT 3 times and had two NCAA appearnces that included an Elite Eight run the season prior.  Few is the best coach out of the three, but that program was built when he took over.

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Fitzgerald took over a program that never had a post season appearance before he became the coach.  They had only two 20 win seasons.  In his last four seasons they won 20 games three times, two conference championships, made two NITs and one NCAA tournament.  He hired Monson as an assistant and main recruiter.  Monson eventually became associate head coach. Monson convinced Fitzgerald to hire Few as an assistant.  Monson took over when Fitzgerald stepped down.  In two seasons Monson won 52 games, two conference titles, made the NIT and had an Elite 8 NCAA run.

In the six seasons before Few took over, Gonzaga won 20 games 5 times, won the conference 4 times, made the NIT 3 times and had two NCAA appearnces that included an Elite Eight run the season prior.  Few is the best coach out of the three, but that program was built when he took over.

Few certainly walked into a good situation, but two NCAA Tourney appearances in the 6 years prior is hardly a dynasty. Not sure it was fully "built." Few's 18 consecutive NCAA appearances is incredible.

On 3/6/2017 at 5:00 AM, Soderball said:

85 mil was not spent on Chaifetz Arena to play small-time games in.

It would be more likely that if SLU were to play SPUMAC or Kansas or Marquette or Illinois that the game would be played in the DOME, not in the kiel center.

You are wrong there.  The AD has already said that it is not out of the question that they'd play a game at the soon-to-be TD Ameritrade Center if the economics called for it.

However this would have to be for one-off situations.  It would never be a permanent or season long move, no matter how good the team gets.

In fact, how good SLU is would have nothing to do with it.  That situation would be driven by the demand for tickets from non-SLU fans to see Mizzou, Illinois, Duke, or North Carolina.

And the DOME is pretty much out of the question for any sporting event that doesn't involve bulls or monster trucks.

38 minutes ago, ACE said:

Few certainly walked into a good situation, but two NCAA Tourney appearances in the 6 years prior is hardly a dynasty. Not sure it was fully "built." Few's 18 consecutive NCAA appearances is incredible.

No doubt Few took it to another level.  It just seems like that everyone forgets what happened at Gonzaga before few took over.  

Plus, it was being looked being compared as far less situation than what McDermott took over in Creighton.  In the final six seasons of Altman's tenure with the Bluejay's they made the tournament only two times.  They never made it past the second round in his 16 seasons there.  They missed the tournament his last 3 seasons.  The arrow was pointing down for Altman with Bluejay's after he took and then didn't take the Arkansas job.

1 hour ago, ARon said:

You are wrong there.  The AD has already said that it is not out of the question that they'd play a game at the soon-to-be TD Ameritrade Center if the economics called for it.

However this would have to be for one-off situations.  It would never be a permanent or season long move, no matter how good the team gets.

In fact, how good SLU is would have nothing to do with it.  That situation would be driven by the demand for tickets from non-SLU fans to see Mizzou, Illinois, Duke, or North Carolina.

And the DOME is pretty much out of the question for any sporting event that doesn't involve bulls or monster trucks.

I would have a very hard time seeing how the dollars could ever make sense on this. Paying rent for one game at Savvis would negate a lot of the ticket sales revenue increase. Add in getting nothing from concessions and it's a break even proposition at best. 

Oregon must have saw another trend such as 20 wins a season average for Altman at Creighton and gave him a 7 year 18.45 million dollar contract.  It has paid off by Oregon being ranked 5th and 27-4.

54 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I would have a very hard time seeing how the dollars could ever make sense on this. Paying rent for one game at Savvis would negate a lot of the ticket sales revenue increase. Add in getting nothing from concessions and it's a break even proposition at best. 

Maybe just for the exposure... 8k more live spectators? 

41 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Just heard Ford on 101.1. After he was off they said they didn't ask him about the Mizzou job because they were requested not to ask him about by SLU and Ford. 

Wtf? 

I get it - negotiating tactic - yadda yadda - but seriously wtf? How about you say "I'm committed to SLU" on the air.

12 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Wtf? 

I get it - negotiating tactic - yadda yadda - but seriously wtf? How about you say "I'm committed to SLU" on the air.

Why would SLU request he not be asked about it? And why would the hosts add that in? It looks bad on all fronts. Like there is some sort of cover up. 

3 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Why would SLU request he not be asked about it? And why would the hosts add that in? It looks bad on all fronts. Like there is some sort of cover up. 

Maybe he is going to play it like Marshall at Wichita State. He readily admits that he is happy where he is, but is willing to listen to all offers. Takes them back to the Koch brothers and gets a raise. I really don't see how he could leave and have any credibility with future players. What about the 4 transfers who just sat out a year so they could play for him? He would have to have no conscious to leave them high and dry like that.

10 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Maybe he is going to play it like Marshall at Wichita State. He readily admits that he is happy where he is, but is willing to listen to all offers. Takes them back to the Koch brothers and gets a raise. I really don't see how he could leave and have any credibility with future players. What about the 4 transfers who just sat out a year so they could play for him? He would have to have no conscious to leave them high and dry like that.

I'm not worried about it. Why leave these next two recruiting classes behind to go to Mizzou?

27 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Maybe SLU doesn't want to give the rumors more legs by having him field questions about them? Not that having the host report that on the air is much better, but maybe that's the thought behind it.

8 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I'm not worried about it. Why leave these next two recruiting classes behind to go to Mizzou?

In reality it would only be the class of 2017 and the transfers. The 2018 commits could definitely follow him and Tate elsewhere.

That being said, it isn't happening.

Coaches don't jump after investing the resources Ford and staff have done this year into recruiting 4 transfers and 4 recruits (and actually exceeding expectations on the court). Non starter. As a dual Indiana/SLU fan, I am fairly confident that Tom Crean will be the next Mizzou head coach.

13 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

In reality it would only be the class of 2017 and the transfers. The 2018 commits could definitely follow him and Tate elsewhere.

That being said, it isn't happening.

Worst ten seconds of my week processing that first paragraph before moving down a line... 

Are we going to have to play this same paranoid game when Groce is canned? 

8 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Worst ten seconds of my week processing that first paragraph before moving down a line... 

Are we going to have to play this same paranoid game when Groce is canned? 

Nah. The Illinois power brokers would not be okay with Ford. I suspect they will try to make a splash hire if Groce is fired.