Coaching movement that might affect SLU

14 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I agree with all of this. He is a high character guy. Bash Mizzou all you want, it's your right, but don't let your Mizzou hatred turn to Zo hatred.

Great. We shouldn't worry about Gordon then

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I would bet Illinois will not give anyone any release until the new coach is signed and has a chance to talk to recruits.   at that point I agree with cowboy, good chance their release will have limits.  

You would have to be a real sleaze to tell a kid he can't play for the school in his backyard (Tilmon-SLU). Aren't these usually centered around teams within your own conference?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, wgstl said:

he had two in just one class?

And again, I dont count MSU when talking about recruiting. 

So again, 2 5* in 6 years isnt bad.  o Ya, those two 5 stars he got to play at Berkeley.  BERKELEY.

The class signed at Cal the season before Martin got hired had a 5* kid in it.  Getting 4 and 5* kids to commit to Cal isn't a miracle.

4 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

You would have to be a real sleaze to tell a kid he can't play for the school in his backyard (Tilmon-SLU). Aren't these usually centered around teams within your own conference?

Not necessarily. Sometimes it includes teams on the schedule. Allegedly Rotnei Clarke had interest in transferring to SLU from Arkansas 5 years ago, but Mike Anderson put some restriction on his release that meant he couldn't go to SLU. I don't recall who the kid was, or what transpired, but I thought there was a school that tried to exclude Mizzou from a release because they thought Mizzou might have been tampering with the situation. Think that was during Frank Haith's tenure.

Michael Porter to Mizzou, I'm guessing?

If Gordon and Thatch stay committed (and I have no reason to suspect they won't) I'm not too worried about mizzou long term. SLU will have a ton of momentum on the winning and recruiting front before Martin gets up and running I think 

Porter will spend his one year in college playing for a .500 team. 

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Michael Porter to Mizzou, I'm guessing?

If Gordon and Thatch stay committed (and I have no reason to suspect they won't) I'm not too worried about mizzou long term. SLU will have a ton of momentum on the winning and recruiting front before Martin gets up and running I think 

Porter will spend his one year in college playing for a .500 team. 

Whatever happens, 2017-18 and beyond will be a whole lot more interesting for St. Louis-area hoops fans and media than the last three years have been!

I have to think SLU will be just fine under Ford.  He's been very proactive.

9 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Jesus

The STLtoday story on the hiring says that Porter Jr. will seek to get out of his LOI, so I'm not sure which is accurate.  Also, I was surprised to read that Kim Anderson had offered (then women's team assistant coach) Porter Sr. a spot on his staff before he wound up going to join Romar's staff.

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I'm sure that the porters were part of the recruiting pitch to get Martin. 

I'd give Washington (firing Romar) more credit than Cuonzo when it comes to landing the Porters (if that indeed comes to fruition), regardless, what a day to be a Mizzou fan. Dumpster fire to nation's number one recruit

10 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The STLtoday story on the hiring says that Porter Jr. will seek to get out of his LOI, so I'm not sure which is accurate.  Also, I was surprised to read that Kim Anderson had offered (then women's team assistant coach) Porter Sr. a spot on his staff before he wound up going to join Romar's staff.

He never signed a LOI

7 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I'd give Washington (firing Romar) more credit than Cuonzo when it comes to landing the Porter's (if that indeed comes to fruition), regardless, what a day to be a Mizzou fan. Dumpster fire to nation's number one recruit

I don't know... this whole situation is shady. Porter wouldn't coach under Anderson at Mizzou. May have told the powers at Mizzou, "Get Martin and I'll come home."  That is then part of the pitch to Martin, as well as part of the reason Romar just now gets fired- Porters leaving, no reason to keep him around. 

In summation: Romar's firing is the result of the porters leaving, not the cause of their leaving. 

17 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I don't know... this whole situation is shady. Porter wouldn't coach under Anderson at Mizzou. May have told the powers at Mizzou, "Get Martin and I'll come home."  That is then part of the pitch to Martin, as well as part of the reason Romar just now gets fired- Porters leaving, no reason to keep him around. 

Anything's possible I guess, and it did come together rather quickly. STL media can resume slobbing the Tigers while ignoring the Bills in 3.. 2.. 1.. 

I want Tilmon bad now