Coaching movement that might affect SLU

Here is why I'm concerned about this using the arguments against it as references:

* He wouldn't move his family two years in a row - His family could stay right in the house they are in now and go to the schools they are going to right now while he coaches and commutes from Columbia.  I assume, given his recruiting schedule, that they don't see him a ton as it is.  A two hour drive isn't going to hold this back.

* He wouldn't leave the recruits he has coming in - The prize recruit he has a commitment from, Gordon, absolutely could go with him and Tate to Mizzou.  So could Thatch.

* No one would respect a coach that leaves after one year - The guy many consider the best coach going right now, Calipari, doesn't have much respect among a lot of people.  Respect, unfortunately, doesn't matter much.  Recruiting and winning matters.  This is why Calipari gets paid millions to do what he does.  Does anyone really think that Mizzou would shy away from Ford because of this issue.  If they think he's the right guy, because of his recruiting skills, they won't hesitate.

* Ford might be pissed that he didn't get things he was promised by SLU - If it is true that Ford was promised a swanky players locker room and Pestello is telling him he can't have it because Pestello crapped his pants with regard to the school's finances, then Ford might be saying to himself that he needs to get out of here before it's too late.

* Ford hasn't proved himself, yet, during his one year at SLU - Mizzou doesn't care.  Look at Illinois.  Groce continues to fail to prove himself every year, but the fans and administration get hypnotized by his recruiting classes.  Look at us.  Ford hasn't changed the results much from a record standpoint, but we are all overly impressed with his recruiting and what the future may hold.  Mizzou may simply see Ford's ability to recruit this area and see that he could bring Gordon and Thatch and say "done deal."

If Ford leaves to take the Mizzou job, Pestello needs to pack his bags to head back to the East Coast.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are people 

45 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Here is why I'm concerned about this using the arguments against it as references:

* He wouldn't move his family two years in a row - His family could stay right in the house they are in now and go to the schools they are going to right now while he coaches and commutes from Columbia.  I assume, given his recruiting schedule, that they don't see him a ton as it is.  A two hour drive isn't going to hold this back.

* He wouldn't leave the recruits he has coming in - The prize recruit he has a commitment from, Gordon, absolutely could go with him and Tate to Mizzou.  So could Thatch.

* No one would respect a coach that leaves after one year - The guy many consider the best coach going right now, Calipari, doesn't have much respect among a lot of people.  Respect, unfortunately, doesn't matter much.  Recruiting and winning matters.  This is why Calipari gets paid millions to do what he does.  Does anyone really think that Mizzou would shy away from Ford because of this issue.  If they think he's the right guy, because of his recruiting skills, they won't hesitate.

* Ford might be pissed that he didn't get things he was promised by SLU - If it is true that Ford was promised a swanky players locker room and Pestello is telling him he can't have it because Pestello crapped his pants with regard to the school's finances, then Ford might be saying to himself that he needs to get out of here before it's too late.

* Ford hasn't proved himself, yet, during his one year at SLU - Mizzou doesn't care.  Look at Illinois.  Groce continues to fail to prove himself every year, but the fans and administration get hypnotized by his recruiting classes.  Look at us.  Ford hasn't changed the results much from a record standpoint, but we are all overly impressed with his recruiting and what the future may hold.  Mizzou may simply see Ford's ability to recruit this area and see that he could bring Gordon and Thatch and say "done deal."

If Ford leaves to take the Mizzou job, Pestello needs to pack his bags to head back to the East Coast.

Lol. Just why 

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Good points - he really hasn't accomplished anything yet on the bottom line.  Yes he has turned the roster around quickly but do we really know if they will be that good? - we all hope but lots of good recruiting class don't pan out.  I have high hopes but if you are a power 5 school do you really think that Ford has done enough to wash the stink of OKS off yet - probably not.  I agree he will not retire from here but he isn't going anywhere just yet.

+1

I still cannot understand so many on this Board.  Apparently, the blue koolaid is more intoxicating than many realize.  Sorry to add a few facts to the discussion:

1.  Travis Ford is proven turnaround agent/coach having done so at every institution in rather short order.

2.  Travis Ford is an excellent communicator, salesman, advocate, etc.  Jealous people like Illini fans called him a snake oil con man, etc.

3.  Travis Ford recruited very well at every prior institution and now doing the same here and we sure see light at the end of our tunnel.

4.  Travis Ford left Eastern KY and UMass on his own, and rather shortly, but instead stayed at OK State for a longer time and was fired by them for not having enough coaching success despite his doing the above  paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 (the exact same we have seen him here do at SLU).

Recruiting Top 150 talent is probably enough to win at SLU and get us to the NCAA Tourney and be deemed a success here at SLU.  But recruiting Top 150 talent and making the NCAA is expected in the Power 5 and, as seen at OK State, is not enough.  Now, everyone deserves a second chance, we all learn from our mistakes and OK State probably has some real inherent problems which make winning there (against OU and KU) rather tough so I am not down on Coach Ford.  At the same time, we are dishonest if we deny that a certain "stink" remains associated with Coach Ford.

Finally, I guarantee you that no HC will ever go directly from SLU (even if we win the National Championship) to a Basketball Royalty school like Kentucky (or Duke, KU, NC) and that if Travis Ford had not played for Kentucky that no one would be suggesting him as their next coach.  Kentucky will want the next guy who dominates Power 5 competition and doesn't struggle with it like Ford did at OK State.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

What exactly has Chris May done to be such a Teflon Don around here? The amount of happy horsehockey he has survived already is incredible. Now, in this hypothetical future disaster, we are going to blame the President but not the AD?

22 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

+1

I still cannot understand so many on this Board.  Apparently, the blue koolaid is more intoxicating than many realize.  Sorry to add a few facts to the discussion:

1.  Travis Ford is proven turnaround agent/coach having done so at every institution in rather short order.

2.  Travis Ford is an excellent communicator, salesman, advocate, etc.  Jealous people like Illini fans called him a snake oil con man, etc.

3.  Travis Ford recruited very well at every prior institution and now doing the same here and we sure see light at the end of our tunnel.

4.  Travis Ford left Eastern KY and UMass on his own, and rather shortly, but instead stayed at OK State for a longer time and was fired by them for not having enough coaching success despite his doing the above  paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 (the exact same we have seen him here do at SLU).

Recruiting Top 150 talent is probably enough to win at SLU and get us to the NCAA Tourney and be deemed a success here at SLU.  But recruiting Top 150 talent and making the NCAA is expected in the Power 5 and, as seen at OK State, is not enough.  Now, everyone deserves a second chance, we all learn from our mistakes and OK State probably has some real inherent problems which make winning there (against OU and KU) rather tough so I am not down on Coach Ford.  At the same time, we are dishonest if we deny that a certain "stink" remains associated with Coach Ford.

Finally, I guarantee you that no HC will ever go directly from SLU (even if we win the National Championship) to a Basketball Royalty school like Kentucky (or Duke, KU, NC) and that if Travis Ford had not played for Kentucky that no one would be suggesting him as their next coach.  Kentucky will want the next guy who dominates Power 5 competition and doesn't struggle with it like Ford did at OK State.

What about Hall

On 3/7/2017 at 1:06 PM, cgeldmacher said:

I'm confused.  You say several donors swore they wouldn't give while Biondi was in charge.  I've also heard that one of the big problems with the financial situation right now is that donations are way down since Biondi left and Pestello took over and that they are bringing Biondi back to get the donors back that bailed.  Maybe the donors you are referring to all graduated with social work degrees (meaning not really donors at all).

Didn't Biondi get run out of town by the faculty, staff, and students because he was trying to institute tenure rules that would keep costs down?  So, Biondi wants to put measures in place to keep control over costs, he gets chased, we get Pestello, and a few years later we have a financial crisis.  It's been a long time since I graduated from the Business School, but I think the facts add up pretty well.

Now, your trying to twist those facts to make it sound like donors swearing off Biondi was the problem.  If that was the case, then we should have seen rise in donations in recent years.  I don't think that is what happened.

Well, no. I used the words "high-ticket" donors. I think it's clear what that means. I also said "several," which only in a grossly convoluted way could be construed to mean that somehow these donors would balance out the donations that have been lost. 

And to oversimplify it, Biondi got "run out of town" because he was an arrogant son-of-a-beatch, a quality that served him well as he made many of the sweeping changes that improved SLU's stature, campus and a lot of other things. But an academic institution is not just a business, and its faculty is a great deal more than a bunch of employees. He was a dick to a lot of people, but he really shot himself in the food when he used his usual bulldozer style (I just thought of that, and it's fabulously accurate, no?) on the most important people in terms of what makes a university great. You should go back and read some of the history -- Biondi personally reviewed every faculty raise recommendation and approved or disapproved it. What does your long-ago business degree say about a CEO that supersedes his managers to look at 1,500 employee salaries? What's the word here? Microeconomics? Microscope? Microgram? Ehh, micro-something.

(BTW, long-ago B-school grad, did you have my old man for marketing?)

18 minutes ago, bonwich said:

Well, no. I used the words "high-ticket" donors. I think it's clear what that means. I also said "several," which only in a grossly convoluted way could be construed to mean that somehow these donors would balance out the donations that have been lost. 

And to oversimplify it, Biondi got "run out of town" because he was an arrogant son-of-a-beatch, a quality that served him well as he made many of the sweeping changes that improved SLU's stature, campus and a lot of other things. But an academic institution is not just a business, and its faculty is a great deal more than a bunch of employees. He was a dick to a lot of people, but he really shot himself in the food when he used his usual bulldozer style (I just thought of that, and it's fabulously accurate, no?) on the most important people in terms of what makes a university great. You should go back and read some of the history -- Biondi personally reviewed every faculty raise recommendation and approved or disapproved it. What does your long-ago business degree say about a CEO that supersedes his managers to look at 1,500 employee salaries? What's the word here? Microeconomics? Microscope? Microgram? Ehh, micro-something.

(BTW, long-ago B-school grad, did you have my old man for marketing?)

Still the critic, eh?

29 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

What exactly has Chris May done to be such a Teflon Don around here? The amount of happy horsehockey he has survived already is incredible. Now, in this hypothetical future disaster, we are going to blame the President but not the AD?

Not sure.  But according to some, Chris May deserves no blame for hiring Jim Crews either.

I simply don't think Mizzery fans would be excited about Travis Ford for a couple of reasons. First, he was axed by OSU. Second, he's done nothing in the NCAA's except win 1 game coaching a team that had a lot of talent. Third, do they really want to steal a SLU coach? Fourth, any school that does hire him where he finds success knows he's going to bolt for UK given the opportunity.

I have no idea what Travis Ford's thoughts on this matter are. First and foremost he's got to consider his family situation. That generally revolves around money = more security. But even though Mizzery would pay him more than us, he's gonna have a tough road to hoe in Columbia. He's coming off an 11 win season. Does he want to follow that up with another black spot on his overall record? And possibly even a few more given Mizzery's penchant for misdeeds. Yes, he's shown he can recruit, but I wonder what the general thoughts are about his ability to coach that talent? We have been asking that question since he was hired at SLU. As down as the SEC is in hoops he's still going to have a tougher road winning there than in the A10.

To my way of thinking, SLU can be Ford's redemption school. He comes in here and by year 3 or 4 we've got back to where Rick had us. Rick did it by coaching. Travis can do it by recruiting. If he does that, he puts himself in a much better position than he's in today. But as of today, he's no Archie Miller, no Greg Marshall, no Wade (VCU H/C). These guys would be splash hires for a Mizzery, especially Marshall.

24 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Not sure.  But according to some, Chris May deserves no blame for hiring Jim Crews either.

Well what else could he do but hire Crews - after all he would have been looked upon as a nut.  Gee whiz - what a bunch of bull hockey.  Good post

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well what else could he do but hire Crews - after all he would have been looked upon as a nut.  Gee whiz - what a bunch of bull hockey.  Good post

He could have easily not hired him.  Look up the name Russ Pennell.  Then ask yourself your self how Arizona couldn't have hired him as the permanent head coach.   

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Alot.  And you know better yourself.

For one, he could have made it clear from the beginning that Jim Crews was a going to be a 1 year temporary head coach and not the permanent head coach regardless of how the team does and that the new coach will need to be the following ......  As nearly everyone on this Board agrees, B Broy's aunt could have coached that team to success.  In short, getting out in front of the story and not waiting to be run over by the story is what a leader would have done.  Nothing from Jim Crews' past, or his efforts while at SLU, showed that he could truly relate with the players, teach them and recruit them. Keeping a steady hand and not making changes to RM's well oiled machine was his best attribute but this is certainly not proof of future success as a head coach.  Shame on Mays for sitting by idle and letting the sympathetic national college media award Crews Coach of Year and hire him as our next head coach.

Holy sheet I cannot believe this thread is going to turn into the Chris May did/did not have a choice when hiring Crews debate ????

I guess it's a slight upgrade from the Ford to Mizzou discussion

(p.s. he did not have a choice, contract should have been shorter though)

(p.p.s. lol)

8 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I'm hearing that Barry Hinson has the inside track for the Mizzou job. I think that would be a great hire...really good fit. 

That would be even more ridiculous than Mizzou hiring Ford.