Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Pistol

Recruiting - 2019

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

My brother in law went to Penn, and he said the Quakers were getting tired of Harvard being the darling of Ivy League Hoops. That used to be Penn's domain. He said they want the crown back and are probably admitting kids that otherwise wouldn't qualify as Penn material. I think this has been said about Harvard as well.

I mean, the overlap between "student who would be one of the few percent admitted this year" and "student who can play D-I basketball" is almost none. Even kids with 4.0 GPAs, top-few-percent test scores, and plenty of extras on their resumes usually don't get admitted. It's crazy difficult to get into those schools.  The top few dozen schools are so competitive these days, it's a crap shoot if you're in the top few percent of kids.

So if they're taking guys who might not have made it in otherwise, that's not really saying much. They're not reaching for C-students here. Both MLL and Dingle are basically 4.0 students who had multiple Ivy League offers and would get into most colleges even if they weren't basketball players. Maybe they only got a 1420 on the SAT instead of a 1490. They'll be fine.

Maybe your BIL is saying they wouldn't otherwise qualify as Penn material because their parents aren't wealthy alums, in which case I say "good".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how I missed this but:

Dischon Thomas - PF, 6-9, 207 - Laveen, AZ (Hillcrest Prep) - Twitter: @DischonT

Offers: SLU, SIUC, Princeton, Cornell, Texas Southern, Kennesaw State, Northern Arizona, UC-Irvine, Cal State-Northridge.

Interest: Georgetown, West Virginia, Arkansas, Arizona State, Utah, Cal, Washington State, Oregon State, UNLV, Nevada, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Loyola-Marymount, Bradley, NC Central.

Latest News: Thomas received an offer from SIUC. (10/1/18)

Scouting Report: Thomas is a versatile forward with a big frame. He was originally a guard who kept growing. His late growth spurt means he's a bit raw still, but he can play and defend multiple positions, and scores on all three levels. He can shoot it from the perimeter, rebound, and block shots. He missed most of the 2016-2017 season with a strained growth plate. He played two seasons before that at Cesar Chavez HS in Laveen, then transferred to Hillcrest, where he is now entering his postgraduate season. Thomas originally committed to Nevada in the fall, but got a call in early August from Eric Musselman that they were no longer interested.

-So he wanted to commit somewhere early to get the process over with, saying he just wanted to go play and be comfortable and not waste his or anyone else's time once he knew where he wanted to go. But it backfired when Nevada went on a run and started getting involved with higher-profile recruits. He was a teammate of Demarius Jacobs' at Hillcrest. Raw but intriguing prospect. He says he partly committed to Nevada because he likes their "positionless style, which fits my game perfectly" - which would probably help him fit in at SLU.

Note: About half of his offers were from his "original" recruitment, and about half have been since. I'm including all but Nevada in his offer list, even though it's possible not all are still fresh. It looks like SLU may have offered both the first time around and again after his decommitment, but it's weird how this never hit my radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Not sure how I missed this but:

Dischon Thomas - PF, 6-9, 207 - Laveen, AZ (Hillcrest Prep) - Twitter: @DischonT

Offers: SLU, SIUC, Princeton, Cornell, Texas Southern, Kennesaw State, Northern Arizona, UC-Irvine, Cal State-Northridge.

Interest: Georgetown, West Virginia, Arkansas, Arizona State, Utah, Cal, Washington State, Oregon State, UNLV, Nevada, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Loyola-Marymount, Bradley, NC Central.

Latest News: Thomas received an offer from SIUC. (10/1/18)

Scouting Report: Thomas is a versatile forward with a big frame. He was originally a guard who kept growing. His late growth spurt means he's a bit raw still, but he can play and defend multiple positions, and scores on all three levels. He can shoot it from the perimeter, rebound, and block shots. He missed most of the 2016-2017 season with a strained growth plate. He played two seasons before that at Cesar Chavez HS in Laveen, then transferred to Hillcrest, where he is now entering his postgraduate season. Thomas originally committed to Nevada in the fall, but got a call in early August from Eric Musselman that they were no longer interested.

-So he wanted to commit somewhere early to get the process over with, saying he just wanted to go play and be comfortable and not waste his or anyone else's time once he knew where he wanted to go. But it backfired when Nevada went on a run and started getting involved with higher-profile recruits. He was a teammate of Demarius Jacobs' at Hillcrest. Raw but intriguing prospect. He says he partly committed to Nevada because he likes their "positionless style, which fits my game perfectly" - which would probably help him fit in at SLU.

Note: About half of his offers were from his "original" recruitment, and about half have been since. I'm including all but Nevada in his offer list, even though it's possible not all are still fresh. It looks like SLU may have offered both the first time around and again after his decommitment, but it's weird how this never hit my radar.

I believe we offered him the second time shortly after he decomitted in August. Seems like an intriguing prospect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pistol said:

I mean, the overlap between "student who would be one of the few percent admitted this year" and "student who can play D-I basketball" is almost none. Even kids with 4.0 GPAs, top-few-percent test scores, and plenty of extras on their resumes usually don't get admitted. It's crazy difficult to get into those schools.  The top few dozen schools are so competitive these days, it's a crap shoot if you're in the top few percent of kids.

So if they're taking guys who might not have made it in otherwise, that's not really saying much. They're not reaching for C-students here. Both MLL and Dingle are basically 4.0 students who had multiple Ivy League offers and would get into most colleges even if they weren't basketball players. Maybe they only got a 1420 on the SAT instead of a 1490. They'll be fine.

Maybe your BIL is saying they wouldn't otherwise qualify as Penn material because their parents aren't wealthy alums, in which case I say "good".

Pistol some people can get in the  Ivys without much trouble depending on very specific factors. For example if the Harvard marching band is graduating its only piccolo player, they will be looking for a replacement piccolo player to take his/her place. Some lucky sod will be admitted, even with lower than the top level of admission scores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Ej liddell to Ohio state. That was best option of his 3 final schools for us. 

Mizzou isn't out of it yet.  After the commitment is when Martin starts to shine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now the poach coach is licking his chops. He got Watson to leave OSU, Lidell ought to be a walk in the park. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jalen Lecque to NC State. We offered but were never in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Jalen Lecque to NC State. We offered but were never in it.

D^MM!T, TF loses another one!  He just can't recruit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Ej liddell to Ohio state. That was best option of his 3 final schools for us. 

Even though the kid is a tool, I guess this decision makes him a little less of a tool? 

So much for the package deal with McKinney - never bought that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the 2019 top recruits and see that around 5 + of Gibson's teammates are all up there. This season will be a good indication of his talent compared to his eybl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Check the 2019 top recruits and see that around 5 + of Gibson's teammates are all up there. This season will be a good indication of his talent compared to his eybl

whats his ranking? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Not ranked but usually most Monteverde players make a top 250 

what does he need to do to make top 50?  I only want top 50 recruits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe Jimerson was in any national rankings. I have a meeting in three minutes and will double check afterwards, along with comparisons to this year's Montverde roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For any of you worried about rankings, see the 8 min video linked in the A10 Talk article and you will stop worrying about GJ's.  I know it's a highlight video, BUT we don't have a player on the roster that could produce enough shooting highlights to fill that video.  He looks to be an even better shooter than one of my all-time favorite Bills----Claggs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't believe Jimerson was in any national rankings. I have a meeting in three minutes and will double check afterwards, along with comparisons to this year's Montverde roster.

Whoa you have another job?  What the "good posts" we pay you with isn't enough for you?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bauman said:

For any of you worried about rankings, see the 8 min video linked in the A10 Talk article and you will stop worrying about GJ's.  I know it's a highlight video, BUT we don't have a player on the roster that could produce enough shooting highlights to fill that video.  He looks to be an even better shooter than one of my all-time favorite Bills----Claggs.

too bad he couldnt reclassify for this year     /    halfway kidding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimerson doesn't show up on Rivals (150), Prep Hoops (250), 247sports (250), ESPN (100), or Future150 (150), which are the rankings I tend to look at most. The 247sports Composite ranking has him #382 nationally, #71 shooting guard, and #27 in the state of Virginia (would be different now in Florida). This definitely makes him look like a bit of a reach, if you're just looking at rankings. The rankings also won't be final until spring, so if scouts from these services get a good look at him between now and then, he can always move up.

Here are his Montverde teammates*:

Precious Achiuwa (2019, uncommitted) - 5-star, top-10 nationally.

Omar Payne (2019, Florida) - 4-star, ranked in the 35-45 range mostly, with an outlier or two.

Harlond Beverly (2019, uncommitted) - 3-4-star, ranked in the 75-115 range by most services.

Trae Broadnax (2019, uncommitted) - 2-3-star, ranked 338 by the 247sports Composite.

Oton Jankovic (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (Croatia)

Lachlan Bofinger (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (Australia)

Mihaolo Jocic (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (Serbia)

James Lee (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (reclassified from 2018)

David Petrusev (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (Serbia - younger brother of Gonzaga freshman and Montverde alum Filip Petrusev)

Seth Pinkney (2019, uncommitted) - 2-3-star, ranked 385 by 247sports Composite.

Tony Zhang (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (China?)

Balsa Kopravica (2019, uncommitted) - 4-star, ranked in the 40-70 range.

Brandon Newman (2019, Purdue) - 3-4-star, ranked in the 100-125 range.

Pavel Zakharov (2020, uncommitted) - Not ranked (Russia), but being most heavily recruited by Gonzaga.

Tibet Gorener (2020, uncommitted) - 3-star (Turkey), ranked in the 140-160 range.

Moses Moody (2020, uncommitted) - 5-star, ranked in the 10-30 range.

Cade Cunningham (2020, uncommitted) - 5-star, ranked in the 8-15 range.

Justin Powell (2020, uncommitted) - 3-4-star, as high as 45 and unranked by some.

Hank Jiang (2020, uncommitted) - Not ranked (China?)

Davidson Sam (2020, uncommitted) - Not ranked.

Dariq Whitehead (2022, uncommitted) - 5-star, or expected to be a top-10 freshman this year.

Jeremy Torres (2022, uncommitted) - Not ranked yet.

*Montverde has a Varsity team and a CBD (Center for Basketball Development) team. Both teams travel nationally and play nationally competitive schedules, but only the CBD team has fifth-year players. They'll play a prep school schedule, with teams like Hillcrest (AZ), and the Northeastern prep schools, whereas the Varsity team will play teams like Vashon, Simeon, and other nationally competitive high schools. Jimerson is on the CBD team. Players in bold are on his team, whereas non-bold players are on Varsity. There may be some players that play on both or switch; I'm not entirely clear on how it works. I'm not sure why some underclassmen are on the CBD roster and some varsity; maybe they choose to go CBD if they don't make varsity. Varsity is clearly the prestige program, but CBD looks ideal for prep year and international transfers.

Jimerson reclassified early on (freshman year), so he's technically a 5th-year player. That's why he couldn't return to his HS in Richmond, and that's why he's only eligible for the CBD squad at Montverde. This explanation is kind of amazing. He dropped 50 (!) pounds from his original freshman year to mid-2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wgstl said:

too bad he couldnt reclassify for this year     /    halfway kidding

He actually could have. See my post above. He reclassified so early I hadn't seen it before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

 

Very interesting. Didn't want to wait for this season to play out, I guess. Most juco players go in the spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...