Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

Joe Girard to Syracuse.

Tyson Etienne to Wichita State.

Michael Christmas to James Madison.

All had SLU offers but we weren't finalists for any. 2019 names are dropping quickly.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrell Jones to Auburn. I think he had like 40 offers and we were relatively anonymous in a crowded pool and clearly not among his leaders.

Malik Hall cut Texas and Oklahoma and is down to Purdue, Michigan State, and Oregon. He's had a very predictable, smooth recruitment. Oregon and Purdue have seemed like his leaders from very early on. Michigan State was clearly a big deal to him when they offered. I could see him going to any of the three from here, with almost equal odds.

Other 2019 tidbits:

Terrence Shannon, Jr. had scheduled his announcement for 11/1, but is now saying that he will announce at a later time. I can't get a read on why. He's taken all 5 official visits. Maybe he's just gun shy after the initial DePaul commitment and decommitment.

Lester Quinones has not taken any official visits and said he would commit and sign in the spring. My take here is that he knows how good he is and is waiting for the bluebloods to catch up, and if an elite program has a spot in the spring, he will have proven himself worthy by then (he already has, in my opinion; he's awesome).

Chris Ledlum took his third official visit (after Harvard and Yale) to Georgetown. No word yet on who's getting the last two. I thought Notre Dame might get one but they have reportedly parted ways.

Things are quiet with the other known 2019 names at this point.

41 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Other 2019 tidbits:

Terrence Shannon, Jr. had scheduled his announcement for 11/1, but is now saying that he will announce at a later time. I can't get a read on why. He's taken all 5 official visits. Maybe he's just gun shy after the initial DePaul commitment and decommitment.

Lester Quinones has not taken any official visits and said he would commit and sign in the spring. My take here is that he knows how good he is and is waiting for the bluebloods to catch up, and if an elite program has a spot in the spring, he will have proven himself worthy by then (he already has, in my opinion; he's awesome).

Chris Ledlum took his third official visit (after Harvard and Yale) to Georgetown. No word yet on who's getting the last two. I thought Notre Dame might get one but they have reportedly parted ways.

Things are quiet with the other known 2019 names at this point.

I assume we still have one schollie left for this period?

7 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Not SLU but Tray Jackson, who was committed to Minnesota, decommitted and then committed to Mizzou.  Martin strikes again continuing to go after a kid that commits.  Mr. Ethics continues his streak.  

This one looks especially bad.  Jackson decommitted from Minnesota and committed to Mizzou a couple hours later.  There wasn’t even the usual dog & pony show of the kid “looking” at other schools for a period of time like with Porter, Tilmon or Watson.

Dave Matter seems especially proud of it. From today's Post Dispatch article: "Commitment flips have been Cuonzo Martin’s specialty since he came to Missouri last year. Jackson is the seventh recruit who has picked Mizzou after being committed to play elsewhere since the spring of 2017, following Michael Porter Jr., Jontay Porter and Blake Harris (all pledged to Washington), Jeremiah Tilmon and Javon Pickett (both signed to play at Illinois) and Torrence Watson (Ohio State)."

I guess these kids just automatically think about Mizzery when they walk away from their promises. The Porters you can understand, i.e. Hires Dad as AC. The others, however, don't seem that clear cut. Is this apparent meddling on the Poacher's part legal under NCAA rules? Would be nice to see some coaches turn the table on him or report him if it's not kosher. 

It's legal.  Nothing is forever until they actually enroll.  Even LOI's get voided and players 'poached.'  That is the state of affairs and you either adapt or die.  I never put Gordon into the fold until he enrolled for the summer.  Only then do you have them.  Look at thay 5-star big man that committed to Western Kentucky last year.  He only tried to decommit after enrolling for summer classes and by then it was too late.  At that point, a change meant he had to actually transfer and sit out.  And I don't recall what happened to him.  I think his name was Robinson or something.

And, of course, after they enroll, transfers are still a way of life.

Remember when the rumors were swirling about Gordon last fall, somebody reported (maybe frank) that cuonzo called Ford and told him “that’s not how he operates” and he’d only recruit Gordon if he decommitted from SLU.

Stuff like that makes me laugh. Mr. Integrity!

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Remember when the rumors were swirling about Gordon last fall, somebody reported (maybe frank) that cuonzo called Ford and told him “that’s not how he operates” and he’d only recruit Gordon if he decommitted from SLU.

Stuff like that makes me laugh. Mr. Integrity!

Coach Integrity starts recruiting when kids commit. 

brianstl likes this

18 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

It's legal.  Nothing is forever until they actually enroll.  Even LOI's get voided and players 'poached.'  That is the state of affairs and you either adapt or die.  I never put Gordon into the fold until he enrolled for the summer.  Only then do you have them.  Look at thay 5-star big man that committed to Western Kentucky last year.  He only tried to decommit after enrolling for summer classes and by then it was too late.  At that point, a change meant he had to actually transfer and sit out.  And I don't recall what happened to him.  I think his name was Robinson or something.

And, of course, after they enroll, transfers are still a way of life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Robinson

sat on the Knicks bench last night 

Poach Martin says if you ain’t poaching you ain’t recruiting.

Watch out Ohio State remember Watson Liddell will be next.

With Poach Martin around none of SLU’s recruits are safe I will feel better when Hargrove signs but even better when he enrolls.

I like coach Ford’s approach if they commit move on there are plenty of players.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Not at all.  Wrong.

Actually you never heard Illini fans talk about him.  There were several fan bases around the country that were convinced Ford was dirty when we hired him.  

They were wrong, but that rep has been out there.

39 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Poach Martin says if you ain’t poaching you ain’t recruiting.

Watch out Ohio State remember Watson Liddell will be next.

With Poach Martin around none of SLU’s recruits are safe I will feel better when Hargrove signs but even better when he enrolls.

I like coach Ford’s approach if they commit move on there are plenty of players.

Liddell isn’t going to change his mind.  That one is over. They already threw everything they could at Liddell.