Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

On 9/12/2018 at 12:06 PM, brianstl said:

It would be interesting getting the low down on the whole Pickett thing.  The people at Ohio St. seemed to be pretty confident that Pickett wouldn’t be eligible to play at Ohio St. or Mizzou.  That one was strange all around.

To go along with the Watson and this post, was reading Eric Bossi's starting 5 today and Mizzou got a recruit for 2018 from Ohio over the weekend that wasn't expected to qualify.  He starts school today. Strange.  

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

To go along with the Watson and this post, was reading Eric Bossi's starting 5 today and Mizzou got a recruit for 2018 from Ohio over the weekend that wasn't expected to qualify.  He starts school today. Strange.  

He’s a great student so getting a late start on his PE major wont hurt him. (Blue font)

Forgot to mention that David Roddy is down to Minnesota, Northwestern, and Colorado State. Had a SLU offer.

He's a Twin Cities kid (Breck HS, Howard Pulley AAU) and a star QB on the football team, and all three programs have at least given him a look for football, too (although I'm not sure they've offered). It's basically impossible to play QB for a D-I football team AND play basketball - you can pull it off for certain positions but I'm not sure about QB - and he's a marginally higher-regarded basketball recruit despite his football-friendly frame (6-6, 250). So I think he'll end up playing just basketball in college, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to get some football minutes as a walk-on or something like that. He's really good. He's a fun player, too - doesn't look the part of a high-level recruit but has a skill set that lets him play pretty much any position. He surprises people. Really positive kid, good student. So I'll be rooting for him, wherever he ends up.

5 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

The Mizzou scandals are so blatent it isn't even funny. Glad we got our inside man there, but Ford knows about all the dirty tricks already. 

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Forgot to mention that David Roddy is down to Minnesota, Northwestern, and Colorado State. Had a SLU offer.

He's a Twin Cities kid (Breck HS, Howard Pulley AAU) and a star QB on the football team, and all three programs have at least given him a look for football, too (although I'm not sure they've offered). It's basically impossible to play QB for a D-I football team AND play basketball - you can pull it off for certain positions but I'm not sure about QB - and he's a marginally higher-regarded basketball recruit despite his football-friendly frame (6-6, 250). So I think he'll end up playing just basketball in college, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to get some football minutes as a walk-on or something like that. He's really good. He's a fun player, too - doesn't look the part of a high-level recruit but has a skill set that lets him play pretty much any position. He surprises people. Really positive kid, good student. So I'll be rooting for him, wherever he ends up.

@Pistol

Who would you peg as the main recruiting targets now that Yuri & TJ are in the fold? Ledlum? Markese Jacobs??? Curious on your thoughts. 

(I apologize if you just answered this somewhere)

9 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

@Pistol

Who would you peg as the main recruiting targets now that Yuri & TJ are in the fold? Ledlum? Markese Jacobs??? Curious on your thoughts. 

(I apologize if you just answered this somewhere)

Man, your guess is as good as mine. We don't have as many recruiting writers paying close attention as with some bigger programs, so there isn't as much noise around our relationships with recruits. By my count, we have 26 outstanding offers to players who haven't committed elsewhere or trimmed their lists wiithout SLU. I've been able to confirm that we're actively involved with Chris Ledlum and Jordan Dingle, but anything beyond those two would be speculation. So here goes (I'm not necessarily factoring in positional overlap with TH and YC):

John Bol Ajak: I've seen virtually nothing linking us to him since we offered last year. He had a disappointing spring/summer - and publicly acknowledged as much, which is rare - but Syracuse, Georgetown, George Washington, and VCU have seemed like the most involved schools here for a while. I'll be interested to see if he schedules officials soon or what his plan is because things have been quiet for a few weeks.

Myles Baker: We were invovled regularly after offering and he's one of the guys I'm most confident about our long-term relationship with, but things have been a little quiet in general for him lately. We remain his best offer. I think he'll probably be a spring recruit and count on a big HS season with a loaded Whitney Young team.

Chico Carter: He's a more recent offer but he's taken a couple official visits (Charlotte, Charleston), with another coming up (Murray State). I bet those are his three finalists and we'll see a commitment to one of them before the HS season starts.

Michael Christmas: I think we offered a couple years ago when his Boo Williams team played at SLU for that EYBL event. I haven't seen any signs of a relationship with him since almost that time. His stock has really dropped, too; he was a top-150 kid looking at ACC/A10/Big East schools and transferred a couple times and now Siena and Quinnipiac are his latest visits.

Nobal Days: Another kid whose stock has dropped (he was fringe top-50 at one point), he just got back from an official visit to Tulane. This was supposed to be a Wisconsin-Marquette battle for an in-state kid. The knock here is that he has no offensive game. He's a fantastic rebounder, shot blocker, passer, and defender, smart player, good kid, whole package - except he doesn't score and rarely looks to do so. I think programs have been tepid on him for that reason. Still, I think Tulane and a few Ivies are on him hardest right now, with others probably seeing him as a back-up plan. I haven't seen SLU mentioned either before his stock drop or since.

Jordan Dingle: See post from earlier today. We're involved.

Tyson Etienne: Looks like Oklahoma (OV this past weekend), Seton Hall, Minnesota, VCU, Wichita State, and Auburn are the leaders here. I'm surprised we didn't make more of a push after offering; or maybe we did and he's not interested. PSA Cardinals kid.

DaJuan Gordon: Took an official visit to SMU and Ole Miss is next. Chicago kid. We remain among his top 5 or so offers, but I'm not sure where the relationship stands. He's high on SMU, and I know Cincinnati is sniffing around, too.

Gibson Jimerson: Got a few nice offers - SLU, K-State, Cincinnati - and it's been a little quiet since. I don't know if he's looking at fall or spring as a commitment. He transferred to Montverde, which has a dozen D-I kids and I could see him getting lost in the shuffle like Karrington Davis did last year. So I don't see his stock boosting this HS season. Still, he's an intriguing player and fairly recent offer so I'd be surprised if we weren't involved.

Tony Johnson: We offered when he was a 2018 player and he is taking a prep year at The Skill Factory (GA). No sign of SLU here, but it could change this season.

Treyon Johnson: We offered in May, and there has been literally no public activity since then. Injury? Something else? No clue. We're his last and best offer.

Tyrell Jones: This pool is very, very crowded. He's one of those guys who has been around the #100 mark for a long time, high enough to draw the power conference attention and low enough to get lower-level offers. So it's a ton of offers on paper, but it looks like Louisville, Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida, and a few others are the favorites. Not us.

Xzavier Jones: The other Wisconsin kid who never took off like he was supposed to. He's another tough defensive player but probably doesn't have as high a ceiling as Days. Very quiet recruitment in the last six months, so it's really hard to read the situation. I think he ends up in the Horizon or Valley or similar, and I think he signs this spring.

Chris Ledlum: Has blown up since we offered but we're still involved. Look for a finalist list soon, and hope like crazy we're on it, but it's an uphill battle. Tons of Big East, ACC, and other high-level offers and attention.

Julius Marble: Fairly recent offer, and we're also his best so I'd think we're involved here. Texas kid. Hasn't taken or scheduled any official visits but has done some unofficial visits recently. Might be another spring recruit.

Anderson Mirambeaux: See Christmas, Michael - except he was never as highly rated. Big beefy forward and rebounding machine. Played for the Dominican Republic for the FIBA U17 Championships this summer. One of the top rebounders on the EYBL (Boo Williams). And yet his recruitment has been quiet. Maybe schools are hoping he drops a few lbs. or they don't want to spend time molding him? I think he'd be a solid banger somewhere, though. But SLU doesn't appear to be involved here anymore.

Michael Moreno: Western Kentucky kid who we offered this year. He's a really smart, active player for maybe the best program in Kentucky (Scott County). Took an official visit to EKU recently (their head coach is a Scott Co. guy) and has one coming up to Richmond. I'd be surprised if we're not in the mix here, but I don't know where he stands as a priority.

Harry Morrice: Recent offer, big man from Scotland who will play this season at Beckley Prep (WV). He's got a few other offers but we're the best. He looks great on video and I'd be surprised if he's not a sought-after recruit in the spring. Let's hope we can stay in the mix as he draws more attention.

Chris Payton: He had committed to Illinois State early and then backed off. He's not as high-profile as he once was but he'll be a nice player wherever he ends up; I like his game quite a bit. Valpo, SIUC, Murray State, New Mexico, and Illinois State seem to be recruiting him the hardest. I'm not sure if he wants to commit in fall or spring, but clearly he backed out of ISU with higher goals in mind so he might wait.

Kasean Pryor: Another more recent offer, he's a late bloomer with high potential. SLU is probably his strongest offer, but he just took an official visit to New Mexico earlier this month and may have gotten an offer there. If I had to guess, I'd say he's a spring signee.

Lester Quinones: Looked fairly realistic when we offered, but not anymore. His Rivals ranking just went up to 46 and he's a top priority for Florida, LSU, St. John's, and several others. We're out of this one.

Antonio Reeves: SLU is his strongest offer right now, but he just went out to Wisconsin for an unofficial visit so he might be a spring recruit to see if a good HS season back in Chicago (Simeon) can draw some Big Ten offers out.

Quinn Richey: We offered a long time ago when his AAU team was in town, and he was the lowest-profile of the five we offered. He's starting to draw more interest currently, and it seems like Davidson, Richmond, James Madison, Belmont, and a couple others are in the mix. I don't think he goes higher than A10, and I'm not sure about timing.

Terrence Shannon: SLU was squarely in the mix before his DePaul commitment, but since he backed out, I haven't seen us mentioned with him once. DePaul is still involved but probably not going to get him back. He just went to Texas Tech for an OV, and Illinois is next. UCLA and Florida came out to see him. Florida State and Maryland were already involved. I think we were his #5-6 before the first commitment, but we're being squeezed out.

Kyky Tandy: We offered too late. Iowa State and others had made stronger inroads. They're getting his first OV this month, and Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, and Ole Miss are all still in the mix, with maybe a couple others.

Tyson Walker: We offered when he was a 2018 player and it seemed stale not long after. He's a 2019 recruit and the offers have been a trickle, mostly smaller NE schools (Vermont, Manhattan, etc.).

I still haven't seen that we've actually offered Markese Jacobs. He got that flurry of offers after decommitting from Kansas, but the past couple weeks have been quiet. Still, people seem to think SLU is involved because of his brother and I'm hoping that's the case. Despite his similar size, he and YC are much different players and can coexist.

I would expect that we're still in touch with Alonzo Verge, and there are some other juco kids in the region (like David Sloan) who might also be on the radar.

I also have a couple guys on the interest list that we're probably not still involved with (Mahamadou Diawara and John Michael Wright).

tl;dr - We're still actively going after Dingle and Ledlum for sure, and almost certainly a lot of other names above that I can't confirm yet. But based on how these things go, I'm guessing we'll see the next couple commitments in the spring and they probably won't be guys I've been tracking yet.

4 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'm not able to see the video on my computer, but my guess is that no amateur athlete appearing in the ad was compensated by Nike.  Did they just use footage of teams they sponsor?

No it is a video with Markese talking, dribbling, working out like a typical athlete commercial.  

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Markese Jacobs is in an ad for Nike Chicago. Is this permissable?

As long as he wasn't paid and didn't endorse the product he is good.  The NCAA would place themselves in a real bad position if they go after an athlete who didn't get paid after using athletes in the same way for their own ads.

On 9/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, Pistol said:

Man, your guess is as good as mine. We don't have as many recruiting writers paying close attention as with some bigger programs, so there isn't as much noise around our relationships with recruits. By my count, we have 26 outstanding offers to players who haven't committed elsewhere or trimmed their lists wiithout SLU. I've been able to confirm that we're actively involved with Chris Ledlum and Jordan Dingle, but anything beyond those two would be speculation. So here goes (I'm not necessarily factoring in positional overlap with TH and YC):

John Bol Ajak: I've seen virtually nothing linking us to him since we offered last year. He had a disappointing spring/summer - and publicly acknowledged as much, which is rare - but Syracuse, Georgetown, George Washington, and VCU have seemed like the most involved schools here for a while. I'll be interested to see if he schedules officials soon or what his plan is because things have been quiet for a few weeks.

Myles Baker: We were invovled regularly after offering and he's one of the guys I'm most confident about our long-term relationship with, but things have been a little quiet in general for him lately. We remain his best offer. I think he'll probably be a spring recruit and count on a big HS season with a loaded Whitney Young team.

Chico Carter: He's a more recent offer but he's taken a couple official visits (Charlotte, Charleston), with another coming up (Murray State). I bet those are his three finalists and we'll see a commitment to one of them before the HS season starts.

Michael Christmas: I think we offered a couple years ago when his Boo Williams team played at SLU for that EYBL event. I haven't seen any signs of a relationship with him since almost that time. His stock has really dropped, too; he was a top-150 kid looking at ACC/A10/Big East schools and transferred a couple times and now Siena and Quinnipiac are his latest visits.

Nobal Days: Another kid whose stock has dropped (he was fringe top-50 at one point), he just got back from an official visit to Tulane. This was supposed to be a Wisconsin-Marquette battle for an in-state kid. The knock here is that he has no offensive game. He's a fantastic rebounder, shot blocker, passer, and defender, smart player, good kid, whole package - except he doesn't score and rarely looks to do so. I think programs have been tepid on him for that reason. Still, I think Tulane and a few Ivies are on him hardest right now, with others probably seeing him as a back-up plan. I haven't seen SLU mentioned either before his stock drop or since.

Jordan Dingle: See post from earlier today. We're involved.

Tyson Etienne: Looks like Oklahoma (OV this past weekend), Seton Hall, Minnesota, VCU, Wichita State, and Auburn are the leaders here. I'm surprised we didn't make more of a push after offering; or maybe we did and he's not interested. PSA Cardinals kid.

DaJuan Gordon: Took an official visit to SMU and Ole Miss is next. Chicago kid. We remain among his top 5 or so offers, but I'm not sure where the relationship stands. He's high on SMU, and I know Cincinnati is sniffing around, too.

Gibson Jimerson: Got a few nice offers - SLU, K-State, Cincinnati - and it's been a little quiet since. I don't know if he's looking at fall or spring as a commitment. He transferred to Montverde, which has a dozen D-I kids and I could see him getting lost in the shuffle like Karrington Davis did last year. So I don't see his stock boosting this HS season. Still, he's an intriguing player and fairly recent offer so I'd be surprised if we weren't involved.

Tony Johnson: We offered when he was a 2018 player and he is taking a prep year at The Skill Factory (GA). No sign of SLU here, but it could change this season.

Treyon Johnson: We offered in May, and there has been literally no public activity since then. Injury? Something else? No clue. We're his last and best offer.

Tyrell Jones: This pool is very, very crowded. He's one of those guys who has been around the #100 mark for a long time, high enough to draw the power conference attention and low enough to get lower-level offers. So it's a ton of offers on paper, but it looks like Louisville, Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida, and a few others are the favorites. Not us.

Xzavier Jones: The other Wisconsin kid who never took off like he was supposed to. He's another tough defensive player but probably doesn't have as high a ceiling as Days. Very quiet recruitment in the last six months, so it's really hard to read the situation. I think he ends up in the Horizon or Valley or similar, and I think he signs this spring.

Chris Ledlum: Has blown up since we offered but we're still involved. Look for a finalist list soon, and hope like crazy we're on it, but it's an uphill battle. Tons of Big East, ACC, and other high-level offers and attention.

Julius Marble: Fairly recent offer, and we're also his best so I'd think we're involved here. Texas kid. Hasn't taken or scheduled any official visits but has done some unofficial visits recently. Might be another spring recruit.

Anderson Mirambeaux: See Christmas, Michael - except he was never as highly rated. Big beefy forward and rebounding machine. Played for the Dominican Republic for the FIBA U17 Championships this summer. One of the top rebounders on the EYBL (Boo Williams). And yet his recruitment has been quiet. Maybe schools are hoping he drops a few lbs. or they don't want to spend time molding him? I think he'd be a solid banger somewhere, though. But SLU doesn't appear to be involved here anymore.

Michael Moreno: Western Kentucky kid who we offered this year. He's a really smart, active player for maybe the best program in Kentucky (Scott County). Took an official visit to EKU recently (their head coach is a Scott Co. guy) and has one coming up to Richmond. I'd be surprised if we're not in the mix here, but I don't know where he stands as a priority.

Harry Morrice: Recent offer, big man from Scotland who will play this season at Beckley Prep (WV). He's got a few other offers but we're the best. He looks great on video and I'd be surprised if he's not a sought-after recruit in the spring. Let's hope we can stay in the mix as he draws more attention.

Chris Payton: He had committed to Illinois State early and then backed off. He's not as high-profile as he once was but he'll be a nice player wherever he ends up; I like his game quite a bit. Valpo, SIUC, Murray State, New Mexico, and Illinois State seem to be recruiting him the hardest. I'm not sure if he wants to commit in fall or spring, but clearly he backed out of ISU with higher goals in mind so he might wait.

Kasean Pryor: Another more recent offer, he's a late bloomer with high potential. SLU is probably his strongest offer, but he just took an official visit to New Mexico earlier this month and may have gotten an offer there. If I had to guess, I'd say he's a spring signee.

Lester Quinones: Looked fairly realistic when we offered, but not anymore. His Rivals ranking just went up to 46 and he's a top priority for Florida, LSU, St. John's, and several others. We're out of this one.

Antonio Reeves: SLU is his strongest offer right now, but he just went out to Wisconsin for an unofficial visit so he might be a spring recruit to see if a good HS season back in Chicago (Simeon) can draw some Big Ten offers out.

Quinn Richey: We offered a long time ago when his AAU team was in town, and he was the lowest-profile of the five we offered. He's starting to draw more interest currently, and it seems like Davidson, Richmond, James Madison, Belmont, and a couple others are in the mix. I don't think he goes higher than A10, and I'm not sure about timing.

Terrence Shannon: SLU was squarely in the mix before his DePaul commitment, but since he backed out, I haven't seen us mentioned with him once. DePaul is still involved but probably not going to get him back. He just went to Texas Tech for an OV, and Illinois is next. UCLA and Florida came out to see him. Florida State and Maryland were already involved. I think we were his #5-6 before the first commitment, but we're being squeezed out.

Kyky Tandy: We offered too late. Iowa State and others had made stronger inroads. They're getting his first OV this month, and Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, and Ole Miss are all still in the mix, with maybe a couple others.

Tyson Walker: We offered when he was a 2018 player and it seemed stale not long after. He's a 2019 recruit and the offers have been a trickle, mostly smaller NE schools (Vermont, Manhattan, etc.).

I still haven't seen that we've actually offered Markese Jacobs. He got that flurry of offers after decommitting from Kansas, but the past couple weeks have been quiet. Still, people seem to think SLU is involved because of his brother and I'm hoping that's the case. Despite his similar size, he and YC are much different players and can coexist.

I would expect that we're still in touch with Alonzo Verge, and there are some other juco kids in the region (like David Sloan) who might also be on the radar.

I also have a couple guys on the interest list that we're probably not still involved with (Mahamadou Diawara and John Michael Wright).

I heard John Michael Wright reclassified (2020 now) and is in Atlanta now

15 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I heard John Michael Wright reclassified (2020 now) and is in Atlanta now

It's been a month, but he tweeted this:

Which was a month after the rumor was out there:

So it looks like he's staying 2019, but at Fayetteville Academy (NC) and not Northwood Temple, where he spent his junior year; he did his first two years at Fayetteville.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

So it looks like he's staying 2019, but at Fayetteville Academy (NC) and not Northwood Temple, where he spent his junior year; he did his first two years at Fayetteville.

My first reaction when I see multiple transfers in high school (though this isn’t even top 50% of worst offenders) is that these guys always flame out/never hit their potential/keep transferring in college. Maybe I’m wrong and just looking at outliers, but it seems to be a fairly significant red flag unless they’re a military brat or something to that effect. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

As long as he wasn't paid and didn't endorse the product he is good.  The NCAA would place themselves in a real bad position if they go after an athlete who didn't get paid after using athletes in the same way for their own ads.

It's maybe apples and oranges, plus a time difference, but in 1985 IU's Steve Alford was suspended for 1 game (against Kentucky) for appearing in a sorority sponsored calendar that was sold, with all proceeds going to charity.  (Yes, he was fully clothed.)  Alford was not paid a penny.  Back then, NCAA rules prohibited athletes from appearing in commercial advertisements and from promoting any products. This issue boiled down to the fact that the calendars were sold.  It did not matter where the proceeds went.  If the NCAA still has these rules, Jacobs may be in trouble.  But if so, Nike should know the rules. 

CBFan likes this

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

It's been a month, but he tweeted this:

Which was a month after the rumor was out there:

Thanks for the update.  

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/09/22/markese-jacobs-nike-commercial/ 

Jacobs decommitted from Kansas last month. He committed back in October of 2016.

“I just want to take this process slower this time,” Jacobs said. “I don’t think I’m going to take any visits soon. That may change, but I think I’ll wait until college basketball season starts.”

He still has an offer from Kansas and has picked up offers from Nebraska, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Illinois and DePaul.

“[Jacobs] had a great summer,” Mac Irvin Fire club coach Mike Irvin said. “It was huge. He showed that he is one of the best guards in the country.” 

Quinn Richey is off the board to James Madison. I don't think we were involved there for a long time; he was the reach offer when we offered his AAU team en masse.

Ismael Massoud committed to Wake Forest. We weren't among his finalists.