Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Jimerson doesn't show up on Rivals (150), Prep Hoops (250), 247sports (250), ESPN (100), or Future150 (150), which are the rankings I tend to look at most. The 247sports Composite ranking has him #382 nationally, #71 shooting guard, and #27 in the state of Virginia (would be different now in Florida). This definitely makes him look like a bit of a reach, if you're just looking at rankings. The rankings also won't be final until spring, so if scouts from these services get a good look at him between now and then, he can always move up.

Here are his Montverde teammates*:

Precious Achiuwa (2019, uncommitted) - 5-star, top-10 nationally.

Omar Payne (2019, Florida) - 4-star, ranked in the 35-45 range mostly, with an outlier or two.

Harlond Beverly (2019, uncommitted) - 3-4-star, ranked in the 75-115 range by most services.

Trae Broadnax (2019, uncommitted) - 2-3-star, ranked 338 by the 247sports Composite.

Oton Jankovic (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (Croatia)

Lachlan Bofinger (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (Australia)

Mihaolo Jocic (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (Serbia)

James Lee (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (reclassified from 2018)

David Petrusev (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (Serbia - younger brother of Gonzaga freshman and Montverde alum Filip Petrusev)

Seth Pinkney (2019, uncommitted) - 2-3-star, ranked 385 by 247sports Composite.

Tony Zhang (2019, uncommitted) - Not ranked (China?)

Balsa Kopravica (2019, uncommitted) - 4-star, ranked in the 40-70 range.

Brandon Newman (2019, Purdue) - 3-4-star, ranked in the 100-125 range.

Pavel Zakharov (2020, uncommitted) - Not ranked (Russia), but being most heavily recruited by Gonzaga.

Tibet Gorener (2020, uncommitted) - 3-star (Turkey), ranked in the 140-160 range.

Moses Moody (2020, uncommitted) - 5-star, ranked in the 10-30 range.

Cade Cunningham (2020, uncommitted) - 5-star, ranked in the 8-15 range.

Justin Powell (2020, uncommitted) - 3-4-star, as high as 45 and unranked by some.

Hank Jiang (2020, uncommitted) - Not ranked (China?)

Davidson Sam (2020, uncommitted) - Not ranked.

Dariq Whitehead (2022, uncommitted) - 5-star, or expected to be a top-10 freshman this year.

Jeremy Torres (2022, uncommitted) - Not ranked yet.

*Montverde has a Varsity team and a CBD (Center for Basketball Development) team. Both teams travel nationally and play nationally competitive schedules, but only the CBD team has fifth-year players. They'll play a prep school schedule, with teams like Hillcrest (AZ), and the Northeastern prep schools, whereas the Varsity team will play teams like Vashon, Simeon, and other nationally competitive high schools. Jimerson is on the CBD team. Players in bold are on his team, whereas non-bold players are on Varsity. There may be some players that play on both or switch; I'm not entirely clear on how it works. I'm not sure why some underclassmen are on the CBD roster and some varsity; maybe they choose to go CBD if they don't make varsity. Varsity is clearly the prestige program, but CBD looks ideal for prep year and international transfers.

Jimerson reclassified early on (freshman year), so he's technically a 5th-year player. That's why he couldn't return to his HS in Richmond, and that's why he's only eligible for the CBD squad at Montverde. This explanation is kind of amazing. He dropped 50 (!) pounds from his original freshman year to mid-2017.

-I had no idea they had two teams, thank you for the education

-someone named their son 'Precious'? kid had to grow up being great at something to get past that

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I had no idea they had two teams, thank you for the education

-someone named their son 'Precious'? kid had to grow up being great at something to get past that

Yeah, I knew they had two but wasn't quite aware of how they split them until today. Karrington Davis transferred there from Chaminade last year and got stashed on the Varsity team's bench. He'd have been better off staying at Chaminade or taking a year with their CBD team after graduating HS.

As for the name Precious, he's Nigerian by birth. His brother is named God's Gift. There are dozens of ethnic groups in Nigeria, and some of them have a naming culture in which parents give descriptive (often anglicized) names that either try to express the parents' feelings when the child is born, or a quality they hope the child has, or some other circumstance around the birth. A lot of Nigerians are even named after the day of the week they were born on, for example. They've had presidents named Lucky and Goodluck. Basically, there is a belief that names have serious consequences for children so they try to express something hopeful or unique.

I have an acquaintance named Yemi (his parents are from Nigeria) and he says his name means "I am worthy" or "I am honorable" as a signal to outsiders. Anyway, this turned into an old guy post.

tmyk.gif

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, I knew they had two but wasn't quite aware of how they split them until today. Karrington Davis transferred there from Chaminade last year and got stashed on the Varsity team's bench. He'd have been better off staying at Chaminade or taking a year with their CBD team after graduating HS.

As for the name Precious, he's Nigerian by birth. His brother is named God's Gift. There are dozens of ethnic groups in Nigeria, and some of them have a naming culture in which parents give descriptive (often anglicized) names that either try to express the parents' feelings when the child is born, or a quality they hope the child has, or some other circumstance around the birth. A lot of Nigerians are even named after the day of the week they were born on, for example. They've had presidents named Lucky and Goodluck. Basically, there is a belief that names have serious consequences for children so they try to express something hopeful or unique.

I have an acquaintance named Yemi (his parents are from Nigeria) and he says his name means "I am worthy" or "I am honorable" as a signal to outsiders. Anyway, this turned into an old guy post.

tmyk.gif

This is true.  I had two Nigerian brothers I worked with.  They were named Marvelous and Excellence.

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

tmyk.gif

-with the other names on the list identified by country I did not expect Precious to be foreign born, thanks for more education, you are having a very enlightening day

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-with the other names on the list identified by country I did not expect Precious to be foreign born, thanks for more education, you are having a very enlightening day

The Montverde program is probably stronger in the name game than in basketball, the way I see it. Gibson Jimerson, of course, but Lachlan Bofinger is a next-level swaggy name. Trae Broadnax, Oton Jankovic, Tibet Gorener, Balsa Koprivica, Cade Cunningham, Davidson Sam, Dariq Whitehead, Hank Jiang - foreign or domestic, these Montverde kids (or I guess their parents) are absolutely bringing it. When Moses Moody is like the 9th best name, it's an all-time great program.

39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Sounds better than the American names becoming popular lately. Give me Lucky, Goodluck, and Precious over Ayden Hayden and Jayden any day. 

QUAILMAN and Pistol like this

3 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Sounds better than the American names becoming popular lately. Give me Lucky, Goodluck, and Precious over Ayden Hayden and Jayden any day. 

Yep. Or all the crazy spellings. My cousin and his wife named their firstborn Bently; if you're gonna give him a redneck name, might as well spell it correctly (his wife's sister has a boy named Gaven, so misspelling runs in the family, I guess).

Looking ahead at basketball recruiting, I can tell you the unusual name boom is not going anywhere anytime soon. The trend cuts across all demographics, too. People are getting wild with names.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yep. Or all the crazy spellings. My cousin and his wife named their firstborn Bently; if you're gonna give him a redneck name, might as well spell it correctly (his wife's sister has a boy named Gaven, so misspelling runs in the family, I guess).

Looking ahead at basketball recruiting, I can tell you the unusual name boom is not going anywhere anytime soon. The trend cuts across all demographics, too. People are getting wild with names.

I saw a story on CBS Sunday Morning about a kid with the last name Ayer whose parents named him Billion. Yep... Billion Ayer... Billionaire... 

Pistol likes this

Just now, rgbilliken said:

I saw a story on CBS Sunday Morning about a kid with the last name Ayer whose parents named him Billion. Yep... Billion Ayer... Billionaire... 

I mean, if you're gonna go for it, go for it.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

tmyk.gif

No, it has not turned into an Old Guy post Pistol. This is the real thing. I had friends from Nigeria, Ghana, and Gabon during grad school. One of the Ghanians had a child while in school, so I was told how they name their children. First of all they do not consider the child to be a full living person deserving his/her own name until 30 days after the birth. I was told this is because a very high infant mortality there. After 30 days they have a great big party, the religious procedures are completed (baptism in this case, my friend was Catholic), and then the child is given two names: A name for everyone to know, and a name that only the father and the child, in this case a boy, will know. The secret name is the real name and it contains the hopes of the family for the child. The common name is just the name everyone will name him/her by. I am not sure if the mother is the one to name a baby girl with her real name or not. Any way that is it. My friend was the Chief Medical Officer for the Northern Region of Ghana, and was rewarded with his Harvard years by having fought successfully a major outbreak of Cholera in the region. His name was or is Kwasi, really a great guy, his wife's name was Kwami. 

The thing that made my friend's success against Cholera really amazing and deserving his reward was that the whole region ran out of IV fluids, which means certain death with Cholera. To solve the lack of fluids he had people climbing coconut trees to get  coconuts, take the water out, filter it, and give it IV to the sick patients. This is AMAZING and unheard of, but he did it and saved lots of lives in the process. Great guy, I bet he had a real powerful secret name given to him.

Band Legend and HoosierPal like this

4 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Markese is off the table.

Interesting. A video too. Guessing this one was in the works for a bit then. Maybe Shannon ends up back at DePaul?

All the best to Markese. Would have been cool to have both brothers in BIlliken Blue. 

5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Interesting. A video too. Guessing this one was in the works for a bit then. Maybe Shannon ends up back at DePaul?

All the best to Markese. Would have been cool to have both brothers in BIlliken Blue. 

Might have too many guards in 2019 with Yuri. We are probably going for a forward 

bauman likes this