Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobal Days is down to Wisconsin, Tulane, and Cornell.

Tyson Walker committed to Northeastern.

I didn't get the impression we were involved in either for quite a long time.

Tyson Etienne is down to VCU, Seton Hall, St. John's, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Auburn, and Wichita State. Had a SLU offer. I think we were late to the party and he was pretty far down the path with these other schools already.

Terrence Shannon took an official visit to Georgetown, and I think it was his fifth, so SLU didn't get one. Florida State just got another wing commitment. Illinois seems to be the leader, although DePaul, Texas Tech, Georgetown, and possibly 1-2 more are in the mix. I'd look for a finalist list and/or commitment soon.

Chris Ledlum just took visits to Harvard and Yale on back-to-back weekends, and Notre Dame and Pitt came out to see him and his family at home last week. I know we visited him recently but it doesn't seem like SLU is going to be a finalist here. (By the way, if he goes to an Ivy, that's yet another huge recruiting win for the conference.)

Michael Moreno took an official visit to Winthrop recently, and may have cancelled or rescheduled his OV to Richmond. He's a Kentucky kid and I'm not sure what our involvement is with him at this point but I'll keep an eye on it.

Not much else happening with our 2019 offers/interest in the past week.

52 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Tyson Etienne is down to VCU, Seton Hall, St. John's, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Auburn, and Wichita State. Had a SLU offer. I think we were late to the party and he was pretty far down the path with these other schools already.

Terrence Shannon took an official visit to Georgetown, and I think it was his fifth, so SLU didn't get one. Florida State just got another wing commitment. Illinois seems to be the leader, although DePaul, Texas Tech, Georgetown, and possibly 1-2 more are in the mix. I'd look for a finalist list and/or commitment soon.

Chris Ledlum just took visits to Harvard and Yale on back-to-back weekends, and Notre Dame and Pitt came out to see him and his family at home last week. I know we visited him recently but it doesn't seem like SLU is going to be a finalist here. (By the way, if he goes to an Ivy, that's yet another huge recruiting win for the conference.)

Michael Moreno took an official visit to Winthrop recently, and may have cancelled or rescheduled his OV to Richmond. He's a Kentucky kid and I'm not sure what our involvement is with him at this point but I'll keep an eye on it.

Not much else happening with our 2019 offers/interest in the past week.

@PistolI'm guessing we will see a "slow down" in SLU recruiting for the 2019 class, as the staff can be more selective on the final 2 spots. I know the staff never stops recruiting, but I assume we will see these spots filled not for a while. 

(Now Ford is going to get two quick commits to make me look like a fool)

Right now, where are we at? I have:

Out:

Santos

Bess

Wiley

Isabell

Foreman

In:

Hargrove

Collins

Jimerson

Pure speculation, but you have to think at least one will be a transfer.  Not necessarily a GT, but bottom line, TF still has three schollies to fill. I'm sure recruiting will become easier once (knock on wood) this team rattles off a few W's this fall.

Edited, thanks drkelsey

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

@PistolI'm guessing we will see a "slow down" in SLU recruiting for the 2019 class, as the staff can be more selective on the final 2 spots. I know the staff never stops recruiting, but I assume we will see these spots filled not for a while. 

(Now Ford is going to get two quick commits to make me look like a fool)

51 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think you attempt to fill all of the spots for the early signing period.  You can't count on picking up a grad transfer to fill an important need.  Plus, a spot or two on the roster will open up for the spring period.  They always do.

22 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Pure speculation, but you have to think at least one will be a transfer.  Not necessarily a GT, but bottom line, TF still has three schollies to fill. I'm sure recruiting will become easier once (knock on wood) this team rattles off a few W's this fall.

I'd be curious to know what the staff sees as their greatest needs right now. I'd assume at least one big man, but I'm not sure how they view the other currently available spot.

Given the depth of the roster along with the current commitments - a pure PG, a versatile wing, and a pure shooter - they have the luxury of being able to be patient and flexible, but I still think they're going to take the best player they can land whenever they can. If that means 1-2 more commitments this fall, I wouldn't be shocked. I don't think coaches enjoy having to recruit more heavily in the spring; I just think it works out that way sometimes. You always have to be ready for transfers, injuries, or whatever else comes up.

I actually would be prioritizing bigs for both open spots right now, given that we lost Santos and will be losing Foreman. Also, the fact that Santos is already gone means we can take on a transfer at any time. So the staff has a lot of options when good opportunities arise.

7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Thatch better fill the role of Bess or we will be in trouble after a loss of Bess, Tremaine, Wiley. We need another Goodwin type player to fill a role 

We'll still be okay as long as we don't lose the key underclassmen (esp. Goodwin, French, Gordon). I agree that Bess and Isabell are going to be two core players this year, and think Wiley is more of a role player - an important one, but won't be as tough to replace.

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

We'll still be okay as long as we don't lose the key underclassmen (esp. Goodwin, French, Gordon). I agree that Bess and Isabell are going to be two core players this year, and think Wiley is more of a role player - an important one, but won't be as tough to replace.

Four of the current freshman (KH, Thor, FT, DJ) will all have an opportunity to take on bigger roles next year. No one player will replace Bess. I think we'll see more 3-guard, plus Hankton and Hargrove will be options. Two bigs for the remaining scholarships seem to make the most sense at this point. If I could order it up, I'd like a freshman big to transfer in at this year's semester break and then we add a grad transfer big.

Just now, slu72 said:

Goodwin could fill Bess' role next year unless he's dead set on playing PG. 

For Goodwin to make the big league, imo he has to become a point guard.   

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

Shannon will announce on 11/1.