Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

I'm the parent of a high school wrestler. He is not an elite prospect, but I think with hard work, he could get a partial scholarship somewhere. He is a good kid, but gets in trouble constantly for stupid stuff that any typical teenager would do. Just last night after scolding him, I began to think about the bar us MBM'ers (and society) places on these athlete's. It really put things in perspective. These are kids. They are disrespectful. They do stupid things in the name of "love". They mislead parents in order to go have fun with friends. I couldn't imagine the pressure these guys feel when they have a small mistep but the public labels them a "problem child".  Just something for us to keep in mind...

There are 2 types of high school boys.

1. The ones that do stupid .

2. The ones that do stupid but don't get caught.

I was in group 1 and was extremely jealous of group 2. 

I am really looking forward to this team getting out in transition over the next four seasons.  There should really be some highlight reel stuff with Collins throwing it up for guys like Goodwin, Thatch, D. Jacobs, Gordon and French to finish.  If we land Markese there could be some real insane stuff with Markese throwing it down.

HenryB and ChangeOfPace like this

On 9/13/2018 at 8:44 AM, brianstl said:

I am really looking forward to this team getting out in transition over the next four seasons.  There should really be some highlight reel stuff with Collins throwing it up for guys like Goodwin, Thatch, D. Jacobs, Gordon and French to finish.  If we land Markese there could be some real insane stuff with Markese throwing it down.

And Hargrove.  Dude can fly.

brianstl likes this

On 9/12/2018 at 7:55 PM, dlarry said:

There are 2 types of high school boys.

1. The ones that do stupid .

2. The ones that do stupid but don't get caught.

I was in group 1 and was extremely jealous of group 2. 

I was in Group 2, my son in group 1. Glad I didn't get caught for stupid crap, but it's not fun to see your otherwise intelligent child get busted for the same things. Kid was hitting in bad luck.

Lorca-Lloyd did indeed have a SLU offer, but we weren't among his favorites down the stretch. He chose Penn over Harvard, Stanford, Vandy, Cal, Princeton, Ohio State, and Baylor. A couple former players from his HS (Northfield Mount Hermon) are at Penn and really sold him. NMH has also sent like 8 guys to Harvard in the past couple decades. Elite academic and basketball school. SLU recruit Chris Ledlum transferred there for his final year.

A couple other SLU offers in the 2019 class have committed elsewhere: Noah Fernandes picked Wichita State (UMass fans seemed confident they'd land him) and Jaylin Williams chose Auburn (he's a really dynamic player; I'm not sure we were ever in it, though, and he always seemed to be prioritizing SEC schools).

This is regarding 2019 SG Jordan Dingle of Blair Academy (NJ). Good shooter, was a big scorer on the AAU circuit but has still flown under the radar as a recruit. SLU has offered, along with Penn, BU, Bucknell, and Holy Cross. Northwestern is now sniffing around, and he has plenty of other Ivy and similar level interest. They had a couple open gym sessions last week. I'm trying to figure out what other schools might be looking at him.

Still recruiting Chris Ledlum. Will be interesting to see who makes his list and gets his official visits. It would be big for SLU just to get that far with him, given how his stock has risen.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Still recruiting Chris Ledlum. Will be interesting to see who makes his list and gets his official visits. It would be big for SLU just to get that far with him, given how his stock has risen.

Interesting. I had written him off. Again - never know with this staff!

On 9/12/2018 at 8:57 AM, Pistol said:

Is Ford actually telling guys no? It's probably not quite that simple, but yes, there are D-I players in the STL metro who we are not recruiting or did not recruit. I won't include guys like McKinney, who we offered but didn't seem to recruit in earnest (he seemed uninterested in SLU all along), but here are some we didn't offer or haven't offered (yet), and I haven't been able to find evidence of interest: Noah Frederking (2017 - Evansville), Shaun Williams (2018 - K-State), Cameron Williams (2018 - SIUE), Rashad McDaniels (2020 - I have him on the interest list but that was a preliminary add over a year ago and I haven't seen us recruit him at all), Phillip Russell (2020), and I'm sure there are a lot more that aren't immediately coming to mind.

Here's another: