Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Notre Dame Assistant Coach Martin Inglesby has been in contact by SLU according to my sources. He has also been contacted by UCF and Drexall. WOuld be a good catch to get.

He would fit a good bit of the mold that has been outlined. Someone who is here to develop players both on the court and off the court in the ideals laid out by the university. Coming from Notre Dame, he has experience at a major program based at a Catholic university. Throw in the fact that he also played for ND, and you have someone who has a good idea of what environment his bosses are looking for. His work with Demetrius Jackson, Jerian Grant, and Pat Connaughton in recent years is a huge plus as well. I could get behind him being looked at.

Ingelsby is definitely worth a serious look: strong player developer, considered the best scout on Brey's staff (in terms of putting together a game plan), committed to analytics - I'd want to get a better sense of his recruiting abilities, but he seems to have the game and practice coaching abilities. He's interviewed for open jobs in the past two years - Mt. St. Mary's, Monmouth, Princeton, possibly others.

He's from the Philly area. Not really any STL ties except that his dad, a former Villanova standout in the early 70s, played a couple seasons for the Spirits of St. Louis.

Beard has now become my first choice, but he's probably headed for one of the big 12 openings.

The one year turnaround that Beard has engineered at Little Rock is impressive, but I question just how good of a fit he'd be at SLU. He has spent close to his entire career coaching in Texas, with a year each at jucos in Kansas and Oklahoma 15 years ago, and of course this year at Little Rock. He seems to have quite a bit of connections to jucos. Does that really help us when we've had trouble getting juco players eligible at SLU?

Notre Dame Assistant Coach Martin Inglesby has been in contact by SLU according to my sources. He has also been contacted by UCF and Drexall. WOuld be a good catch to get.

Played at ND with the UCF AD. Might make that a natural fit.

Played at ND with the UCF AD. Might make that a natural fit.

And the natural worry is that in 6-7 years, a guy like Inglesby is going to pull a LoRo and go back to his alma mater, leaving the cupboard bare and we're back at square one. This, of course, if Brey retires or is run out on a rail by that basketball-crazy school in South Bend.

And the natural worry is that in 6-7 years, a guy like Inglesby is going to pull a LoRo and go back to his alma mater, leaving the cupboard bare and we're back at square one. This, of course, if Brey retires or is run out on a rail by that basketball-crazy school in South Bend.

Nearly anyone we hire will be someone who could leave in X number of years for a bigger job. In order for that to happen said coach would have had to be pretty successful during his time here, and odds are wouldn't be leaving the cupboard bare.

Nearly anyone we hire will be someone who could leave in X number of years for a bigger job. In order for that to happen said coach would have had to be pretty successful during his time here, and odds are wouldn't be leaving the cupboard bare.

This guy wouldn't....we'd be his destination job

Coach_Drew_Deiner.jpg

We should see if Kobe wants to coach after he retires in a few weeks....

Hear hear! I hope someone DOES use us to move on to his dream job. That would mean that SLU would almost certainly be in great shape upon his departure. Our job would then be to build upon his success and not let that success fade into oblivion. Its how programs like ours become Gonzagas, Xaviers, Marquettes. etc.

his dad, a former Villanova standout in the early 70s, played a couple seasons for the Spirits of St. Louis.

which years? Another example of st. Louis getting hosed. most ABA teams ended up in the league. Us an abandoned NBA city, get none. and Spirits were supported and had a lot of the names that made ABA ripe for takeover.

BREAKING: Stanford has fired Johnny Dawkins, source told @CBSSports.

That's a plum job along w/ OK State. Other BCS's looking that I know about are TCU and Rutgers. Other big names looking UNLV and who else? The coaching carousel seems rather light compared to previous years, so a good year to be looking for a new guy.