Coaching Candidates

JMM28

According to Stu, Bennett being considered for Stanford. No offense to SLU, but that would be a no brainer.

The problem I have with going the old ball coach approach is that these guys have been around and most likely are financially secure. You tick them off, say like no ice cream cones and dropping charters, and they say "eff it, I'm outta here!" We've seen that before, haven't we? Still, those two elders delivered us the best teams in the last 20 years.

All this talk about Romar, has anyone heard UW's had enough and we can expect another Stanford surprise? I really wouldn't mind seeing him back at SLU, as I'm sure he's learned his lesson about recruiting WC players to the Midwest unless you're a Kansas or a UK. He could probably deliver us a lot of the good kids in the '17 class.

I'm leaning toward finding the next great up and comer mid major HC, ala Marshall at WSU, and keeping him happy and here. A lot easier said than done. The problem I have with a big time AC is they've never sat in the hot seat. It's a lot more than just recruiting and coaching.

So far, of the names that have been tossed around, Beard seems to stand out, but seriously I haven't looked at any of them that hard. I'm not off giving the Kelsey guy a look see, although some have soured on him since he didn't win his conf tourney.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sodie is on Bennett's staff at Virginia right? Not that I want him back, but he's made a career for himself at his various stops.

Sodie has had one great guardian angel in his D1 coaching career - Dick Bennett. It's a pretty good one to have as it helped him land the UVa assistant job. Beyond that, not sure Sodie has much of a network.

Interesting, but how many current head coaches with a track record of success are out there that are realistic options for SLU. Depends on your definition of success I guess. One could argue that Crews had success as a head coach before he came to SLU. If that's the bar, we'll definitely find someone, but not sure it'll be enough of an upgrade.

Save for coaching Rick's Kids and a few good seasons at Evansville, Crews was the definition of mediocrity. If I recall, when they ran his career record the other day on TV, if you took away the two years of Rick's kids, he was under .500 or right at it. Only Hoosier Pal and MB73 would argue Crews had success as a HC.

Crews had four of the five NCAA berths in Evansville's history. He had success. It was just in a smaller conference a really long time ago.

A really long time ago.

Crews tenure here has just been disastrous. Brett Jolly is on our roster.. This stuff is hard to even comprehend. Bad bad bad.

A really long time ago.

Crews tenure here has just been disastrous. Brett Jolly is on our roster.. This stuff is hard to even comprehend. Bad bad bad.

My point was ignoring Crews' tenure at SLU. Looking at his time at Evansville and Army (and just about anyone would dismiss his lack of success at Army), you could make a reasonable argument that Crews was a "head coach with a track record of success". If a "head coach with a track record of success" is what we're looking for, it would be interesting to find out their definition of success. Too high of a bar, and your options are very small and probably unrealistic. Too low of a bar, and your options include the Jim Crews' of the world.

My sources in the athletic department are saying that if a former Billikens coach (not sure if it is a former HC or assistant) wants the job--then it is his to take. She wouldn't give me a name though. They are playing this one a lot closer to the chest than the Majerus and Crews hirings. Everyone and their mothers knew who was getting those positions.

i think they should go get Darian Devries out of Creighton. Fresh blood, Jesuit connection, and 2nd to none at mid major level recruiting and coming up with a game plans.

Take it for what it is worth.

This has GOT TO be referring to Jensen or Harriman, right? I would view both of those as 'okay/slightly above average' hires...Furthermore, given that the stated criterion was head coaching experience, that has to be Jensen (NBDL).

Charlie Tuna is also full of it.

I agree, but thought I would mention it. He actually brought it up about a month ago when someone asked on Frank's show if he would be a possibility for Mizzou. Said Romar's wife didn't really enjoy St. Louis, so there was no way in hell he would ever consider COMO. I could see it compared to Westwood, Malibu and Seattle.

FWIW,

http://www.ruleoftree.com/2016/3/15/11225772/stanford-basketball-head-coaching-search-russell-turner-jarron-collins-mark-madsen

Note the last name listed for Stanford: Archie Miller of Dayton.

Somewhere the Theme from The Jefferson's is playing: Well we're moving on up, to the Left Coast, to a deluxe condo in Palo Alto ...

It's ok to make the Sweater Vesters sweat it out and take off those vests, isn't it? It's getting hot in here ...

FWIW,

http://www.ruleoftree.com/2016/3/15/11225772/stanford-basketball-head-coaching-search-russell-turner-jarron-collins-mark-madsen

Note the last name listed for Stanford: Archie Miller of Dayton.

Somewhere the Theme from The Jefferson's is playing: Well we're moving on up, to the Left Coast, to a deluxe condo in Palo Alto ...

It's ok to make the Sweater Vesters sweat it out and take off those vests, isn't it?

Same league as his brother? That would be difficult. I have always thought he would wait for NC State, his alma mater.

Same league as his brother? That would be difficult. I have always thought he would wait for NC State, his alma mater.

I don't understand what Stanford is doing "Down on the Farm," but it's ok to put some heat on Dayton.

One wouldn't think guys like Randy Bennett or Archie Miller would be on Stanford's list, but both have State of Arizona (Inland Left Coast) ties.

As John McCain says, he considers himself California's 3rd US Senator.

Eric Reveno is out at Portland. Left Coast coaches are dropping almost daily, as one coach after another faces the Firing Squad. A small airplane pulling a banner calling for Steve Alford's dismissal flew over UCLA. But per the LA Times, Alford is safe for now, with 2 big time recruits incoming, and a massive buyout.

I think it's safe to say that the mantra out here is win or else.

I don't understand what Stanford is doing "Down on the Farm," but it's ok to put some heat on Dayton.

One wouldn't think guys like Randy Bennett or Archie Miller would be on Stanford's list, but both have State of Arizona (Inland Left Coast) ties.

As John McCain says, he considers himself California's 3rd US Senator.

Eric Reveno is out at Portland. Left Coast coaches are dropping almost daily, as one coach after another faces the Firing Squad. A small airplane pulling a banner calling for Steve Alford's dismissal flew over UCLA. But per the LA Times, Alford is safe for now, with 2 big time recruits incoming, and a massive buyout.

I think it's safe to say that the mantra out here is win or else.

I think the deal with the WCC schools is that take away BYU and you have some mostly similar schools. My guess is that a number of them keep seeing Gonzaga and St. Mary's and think that there is no reason for them to not be having success like that, at least once every few years.

Also, saw on Twitter that Herb Sendek is in the mix for Santa Clara and that Steve Lavin is in the mix at San Francisco. One or both of those guys would add some juice to the conference.

Archie ain't leaving and he's definitely not going to coach in the same conference as his brother

Stanford vs. Dayton?

With all due respect, ...

Money does talk, and if Stanford wants to spend big, Dayton will not be able to compete.

This being said, I highly doubt Archie Miller is really on Stanford's radar. The early returns show Stanford interested in one of its former players, Jarron Collins, one of the Collins twins, who is an Assistant with the Golden State Warriors across the Bay.

As for Archie not coaching against his brother at Arizona, I can tell you the Pac-12 sticks together. SLU was seeded into the de facto Pac-12 Invitational in the NCAA in San Jose in '13, with Oregon and Cal both there, forming in advance an Unholy Pac-12 Alliance, although when the SLU-Oregon game was actually played, the presence of Cal playing the next game did not make that much difference.

But I do hear about Pac-12 unity.

I don't follow UW basketball closely but with this being his 5th season in a row without making the tournament, it wouldn't surprise me if next year if he doesn't make the tournament he will be fired. Perhaps he knows he is on the hot seat so if offered slightly more money in a place he feels he could recruit, may be enough to leave. Not saying he is my top choice unless he would hire Michael Porter, Sr which would lead to Michael Porter Jr.

Like I said I have no inside knowledge or anything, just with 5 years in a row now of no tournament I could see the seat getting pretty hot and I'm sure he's aware of it.

5th youngest roster in the country, on the bubble until late February and a controversial last second shot at Oregon State, 4 years left on his contract, $3.5 million buyout, McDonald's AA signed for next year. He's fine.

you could make a reasonable argument that Crews was a "head coach with a track record of success".

No you couldn't.

Crew's record, other than the two years that Majerus gifted him, is mediocre, at best. Forget about his horrific record at Army (59-140!!!). In 17 years as head coach at Evansville, he never cracked the AP top 25. Not even after Coach Bobby Knight gifted him the legendary Mardy Simmons for a couple years. 17 years-294-209.

Since 1985, when Jim Crews started as Evansville's head coach, SLU would have NEVER considered him as a candidate for head coach in any other circumstances than the incredibly fortunate position JC fell into with HOF coach Rick Majerus.

I am going to call the ball: Cuonzo Martin to SLU. Cal has failed to renew his deal and he is free! Come on home!

Before he went to Cal he said he believes SLU can be a destination job. However, I read Cal is working on extending him. He certainly can recruit, but I don't see him coming here with how talented his team is going forward.