Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer Gordo's question of is SLU all in, I'd say very much so. The speed at which Crews was released w/some buyout shows me they want to fill the Fetz and keep it filled. Plus that NCAA money ain't a bad carrot either. In the past, Before Majerus, we would have let the Crews era run it's course.

I hope we don't go the recycle route as there is no Majerus out there. Underwood' s intriguing. Drew, Valpo for SLU? Hmmm, not feeling it.

As for other schools we'll be competing against only Rutgers and UNLV seem more attractive. And if Pitino and UL part ways, I can see Pitino heading to Vegas. Hopefully, no other big name programs will be joining in the new HC lottery.

My hesitation about McGrath from UNC is the whole academic scandal there; I don't think the dust has even settled from that yet. Does he have any ties to it?

He's been with Williams since he was a player, so it's hard to say how he'd fare out on his own.

If we wind up with one of the assistants from a big-time program like that, they're going to struggle with the talent level here. So even if people think that some of the potential transfers would stay now that Crews is gone, I'm still betting we see at least 3-4 go, if not more.

Can we get the authorities to conduct a welfare check on MB?

First place to look would be the Trump rally...

Dane Fife or CB McGrath

Dane Fife is interesting a few years HC experience at a very tough place IPFW in their first years in D1 built it from 10 wins to 18 then went to work under Izzo. Also he was a player under Bobby Knight so has some top level exposure to big time coaches.

C.B. McGrath? Come on why has the dude worked as an Assistant for 13 years with the same guy? Maybe he doesn't want to be a HC or maybe he doesn't have it. I did learn one thing while reading about him UNC has a JV team that plays local DII, DIII schools the UNC Assistants rotate as HC. You can be on it 2 years then try out to be a Walk On to varsity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_junior_varsity_basketball#Notable_coaches_and_alumni

Stone was a Home Run Hire. Did May hire our current Baseball Coach? If so that one was good too. I'm not sold on our current Soccer Coach.

PS Diener Express Toot Toot

My hesitation about McGrath from UNC is the whole academic scandal there; I don't think the dust has even settled from that yet. Does he have any ties to it?

He's been with Williams since he was a player, so it's hard to say how he'd fare out on his own.

If we wind up with one of the assistants from a big-time program like that, they're going to struggle with the talent level here. So even if people think that some of the potential transfers would stay now that Crews is gone, I'm still betting we see at least 3-4 go, if not more.

Haase and McGrath - both coaches the JV program at North Carolina under Williams, Haase has fared pretty well at UAB since he left UNC. Also both played at Kansas with Ryan Robertson, paging Troy.

Stone was a Home Run Hire. Did May hire our current Baseball Coach? If so that one was good too. I'm not sold on our current Soccer Coach.

Baseball HC Hendrickson was one of Levick's last (and probably best hire, as Majerus was hired by Larry Legend). McGinty was a Chris May hire.

To answer Gordo's question of is SLU all in, I'd say very much so. The speed at which Crews was released w/some buyout shows me they want to fill the Fetz and keep it filled. Plus that NCAA money ain't a bad carrot either. In the past, Before Majerus, we would have let the Crews era run it's course.

I hope we don't go the recycle route as there is no Majerus out there. Underwood' s intriguing. Drew, Valpo for SLU? Hmmm, not feeling it.

Agree about the recycle route. I think Underwood would be a very god hire.

Coaching searches are the kinds of things you hope your team doesn't have to go through, because if you're doing a coaching change, it normally means things aren't going well. Anyway, I find coaching searches to be really interesting, so I'm kind of geeking out right now.

I don't have a clear way I want us to approach this. Experienced coach, up and coming assistant, just get a guy who will make SLU basketball fun to watch again. I had a list a few weeks back that I posted. I'll review that and get an updated list when I have a little more time.