GDT - SIUe

billikenbill

You mean Roby?

Although I don't know if it's the doghouse with him. Can't tell what's going on. But he and Bartley both appear to have regressed in the early going.

More so of MB, hes gonna have to step up TONS to see pt with how miles is playing

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basketball this early in the season is a pass/fail grade. The Bills did just enough to win. Pass.

We haven't been able to sustain an offensive rhythm. Crawford is the only one scoring in the flow of the offense. Everyone else is playing hero ball. These kids have got to learn to trust each other for more than 2-3 minutes at a time.

My turn. We won, we won by 10. Not pretty but we won.

The game was completely different than what we have played before, faster much more penetration. FTs were pretty bad, the bigs were not great (to be kind). A number of players deserve praise: Yacoubou, Crawford, Yarborough, Reynolds, and I think Reggie. We played much better with Reggie in than with the other bigs. Reynolds, Crawford, Yarbororough, and Yacoubou were much better than I imagined they would be.

SIUE a D+ team? perhaps statistically they are, but man alive they could play and push and that 30 year old African grad student was like an Abrams tank, just massive and capable. Carr was great and so was Elik. They play much better than D+ I think.

However we played better than they did, in the first half we did better in rebounds and turnovers (have not seen stats yet), the second half was tighter.

We won and I am happy. We will see what the future brings

Agree with 3star. Wins are wins but it's not gonna fly when it matters.

I can promise you the staff was not happy with Ash in the Bahamas and leading up to it. They think he's vastly improved and settled down since then.

Milik is so hard to judge. Hes unique and when he plays smart he makes us so much better. Then he'll force the issue and hang his head just like last year.

Agree with 3star. Wins are wins but it's not gonna fly when it matters.

I can promise you the staff was not happy with Ash in the Bahamas and leading up to it. They think he's vastly improved and settled down since then.

Milik is so hard to judge. Hes unique and when he plays smart he makes us so much better. Then he'll force the issue and hang his head just like last year.

The staff might not have been happy with Ash in the Bahamas but there is no way in hell you don't play your most talented player if you want to keep your job.

was that BJ with the shrieking "What???"

I won't pile on the guy cuz pretty much everyone else has tonight, but....I was at the game and though I didn't see it, he lost a battle (away from the ball) with that big stiff they had at center. I've heard the guy speak and he has a deep Texas voice but that squeaky shriek had everyone in the gym laughing.

I think it's going to take getting blown out by North Florida or Louisville before these kids commit to playing how they practice. Trying to out-athlete those teams isn't going to work.

Agreed, but I do like the fact that we got out and ran a little bit. We're not Louisville by any means, but we do have some exceptional athletes. An uptempo pace with Ash, AY, and Miles in the game might not be a bad idea. I don't know the exact fast break numbers, but it was good to see us push the ball up the court more so than last year.

I think it's going somewhat unnoticed that Crews did something pretty smart (IMO) in the second half. Have MY bring the ball up the court so you can start with your guards already in the post where we had a pretty good size advantage.

Only problem with that is he had Crawford on the bench and Malik was something like 2 for 7 at the line during that stretch. Not sure how that helped us.

Those of you who've perpetuated the notion that Ash Yacoubou was in the doghouse during the Bahamas trip are refusing to read between the lines of Crews' comments about such a trip being great particularly for underclassment (sophomores and freshmen). Crawford also played fewer minutes in the Bahamas, but he was more effective in that limited time than Yacoubou. Players like Yacoubou need time to get in the flow, but he didn't get that time in the Bahamas, because the staff was using the trip to focus on the underclassmen; players like Crawford can be Vinny Johnson-brand microwaves and flourish in limited time, so he was able to get some points even though his Bahamas minutes were limited because of the focus on the underclassmen.

Bottom line: I don't think Ash was in the doghouse in August.

Those of you who've perpetuated the notion that Ash Yacoubou was in the doghouse during the Bahamas trip are refusing to read between the lines of Crews' comments about such a trip being great particularly for underclassment (sophomores and freshmen). Crawford also played fewer minutes in the Bahamas, but he was more effective in that limited time than Yacoubou. Players like Yacoubou need time to get in the flow, but he didn't get that time in the Bahamas, because the staff was using the trip to focus on the underclassmen; players like Crawford can be Vinny Johnson-brand microwaves and flourish in limited time, so he was able to get some points even though his Bahamas minutes were limited because of the focus on the underclassmen.

Bottom line: I don't think Ash was in the doghouse in August.

The way he played in the Bahamas, if I'm the head coach, he'd be in the doghouse for that. Out of control, instant turnover, missing shots. From reading between the lines and what the coaches have actually said, he finally figured it out after the Bahamas trip, much to the surprise of everyone involved.

The way he played in the Bahamas, if I'm the head coach, he'd be in the doghouse for that. Out of control, instant turnover, missing shots. From reading between the lines and what the coaches have actually said, he finally figured it out after the Bahamas trip, much to the surprise of everyone involved.

Thanks in large part to his meetings with Larry Hughes. ;)

Yeah, it sounded like after that trip Crews and his assistants routinely would point out the work that Ash was putting in, so whatever the issue was for the Bahamas trip, they must have gotten thru to him. He is playing real well (wish he would stop shooting 3s for the most part, but that is my only complaint). Form those who would know, it sounds like Ash was in the doghouse, but at this point that is obviously in the past.

One pet peeve, Milik is his name, not Malik.

Only problem with that is he had Crawford on the bench and Malik was something like 2 for 7 at the line during that stretch. Not sure how that helped us.

Crawford played 30 last night, and sat out about 5 in both halves. He played a lot in the second half. Don't see that as a problem. I too liked Milik bringing the ball up the floor. I wouldn't do it against a press, but last night it was the right thing to do.

Yeah, it sounded like after that trip Crews and his assistants routinely would point out the work that Ash was putting in, so whatever the issue was for the Bahamas trip, they must have gotten thru to him. He is playing real well (wish he would stop shooting 3s for the most part, but that is my only complaint). Form those who would know, it sounds like Ash was in the doghouse, but at this point that is obviously in the past.

One pet peeve, Milik is his name, not Malik.

I am not ready to give up on Ash shooting the 3, it was on the road, and I think the 30 second shot has many players rushing things a bit. It is my understanding that Milik and Ash have both worked hard with jump shooting, it just needs to be in rhythm and not be rushed. While I do not want him taking them frequently, as we get into conference play we will need to establish a perimeter game to open up the interior for him and other guards.

Gillman's 3 was key but did my eyes deceived me or was that a Jump shot....I think he really got air!!...must have ate his Wheaties or perhaps we are seeing new form....