Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

The PD has never covered Billikens recruiting ever.  There will be a blurb when we sign someone but dont expect anything else.  

Stu, to his credit, must have heard the criticism of the MBMs like me and has made an adjustment this year. He is now dealing with recruiting a bit on social media. Usually not earth shattering news, but he at least is covering it, where he previously ignored it completely.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, CBFan said:

It seems to me that SLU's biggest need is the center position because of Elliot Welmer's broken foot.

SLUs biggest need is better talent at every single position, 1-13. 

19 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Thank you for the information Pistol.

Classy of some Illinois fans knocking the kid because of the offers.

Do you think Mr. Pickett would be a good pick-up for SLU?

It seems to me that SLU's biggest need is the center position because of Elliot Welmer's broken foot.

Tilmon would fit the bill

10 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am in agreement that with our current roster makeup, there is more of a hole at Power/Paint than at Shooter/Ball Handler.

Today we have French, Bess, Foreman, Gillmann and an injured Welmer to play in the paint.  Foreman had surgery on his hip last fall, so he comes in with a question mark as to health and endurance.  Time on the court may erase that question mark before October.  And we all pretty much agree Gillmann is not the answer in the Paint.  So really that leaves French and Bess coming in with no issues. If Foreman is ready, this still leaves SLU with only three bodies for two positions.

Ball handlers / shooters we have Bishop, Goodwin Graves, Henriquez, Hines, Johnson, and Roby.  Goodwin will come in with the question mark on his shoulder.  And of course Graves is second semester.  That still leaves five bodies with no physical issues.

Whaley is a 'hot Big recruit' but his physical stats and the write up from the scouting service on him puts him as a possible Red Shirt (if he signs with SLU), in my opinion. 

24 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Classy of some Illinois fans knocking the kid because of the offers.

I agree that a big is the top priority and I expect us to land one, but I think you also take Pickett if he is a dynamic scorer (which he appears to be based on his stats). Zeke has left, so think of Pickett as a better version to replace him. I have not seen the kid play, but is he a good 3-point shooter? If so, I think there is a need on the team.

Keep stockpiling talent regardless of position. Worst case scenario, Welmer is slow to recover and a freshman big we bring in is not ready to contribute right away, I think we can do just fine with a smaller lineup. Ford was able to get a lot of mileage out of Jalen Johnson last year, who was not a traditional four. Villanova has shown that you can do fine without a great collection of bigs, as long as you are really good at other positions - which we figure to be.

34 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I'll leave the first question to those who have seen him play more, like @billiken_roy and @3star_recruit and others. My feeling is yes, he'd be a good get, but I honestly haven't been paying any attention to him for 15 months, since he committed early.

I've wanted a center for this particular roster more than any other position, and that's been true for quite some time. Even if Neufeld and Gillmann returned, they clearly aren't priorities for Ford, since they sat healthy. Welmer is more of a stretch 4, not yet comfortable under the basket because of his skinny frame. Foreman and French are both power forwards, with French more of a face-up player. Foreman has durability questions. I just think a true center would be an asset here, but as we've seen, Ford doesn't really seem to recruit or sign them. So you're right, that's absolutely the direction that would address the biggest need. However, Ford seems to be targeting juco and prep big men who aren't traditional centers but are still bigger than French and Foreman, so I think frontcourt depth is a priority, regardless of actual position.

Not saying this is true, but Ford may not be interested in Tilmon or Pickett.  We are at a point where he's going to need to be a bit more selective about who he takes.  We don't have to take every top local guy just because they are ranked as a top local guy.  If he sees something he doesn't like with either of these two, and thinks he can recruit over them in the next two or three recruiting classes, then I'll trust his judgment.  Remember that every kid he signs is a spot we no longer have open for someone else.

25 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Not saying this is true, but Ford may not be interested in Tilmon or Pickett.  We are at a point where he's going to need to be a bit more selective about who he takes.  We don't have to take every top local guy just because they are ranked as a top local guy.  If he sees something he doesn't like with either of these two, and thinks he can recruit over then in the next two or three recruiting classes, then I'll trust his judgment.  Remember that every kid he signs is a spot we no longer have open for someone else.

Not a fan of this post

Let's speculate a bit about Foreman's hip. We all know he had hip surgery last year, we do not  know why, what was the diagnosis. Apparently there is no history of trauma  to the hip, I least I have not heard a thing even hinting of trauma to his hip causing his surgery. He is young and athletic and I would speculate that his problem was avascular necrosis of the femoral head, and the surgery may  well have been a hip replacement (if it was AVN). Avascular necrosis of the femoral head (Legg-Perthes) is a self contained genetic condition in which the vascular bed of a femoral head develops in a faulty way, with insufficient bone vascularization. This causes the femoral head (normally shaped like a sphere or a ball placed at the end of a straight neck of bone) to flatten out and become painful. This condition is not uncommon and once treated surgically (usually with a prosthesis) it does just fine. Now, the just fine applies to normal people, not to athletes. I presume he has been taking it very easy and not pressuring the hip, in order to allow the full strength of the muscles and ligaments surrounding the prosthesis to fully develop. I would assume this may cause some trouble (lack of exercise and training) when he is allowed to start training and playing in earnest, but generally this should resolve in time. In other words, just because he had hip surgery (if it was due to AVN of the hip), he does not have a weak or frail hip and should fully recover in time. Should means complications may happen, nothing is really known until it is shown to be the case. 

Now my disclaimer,:I really do not know what the diagnosis was that caused this kid's surgery, period. I am just speculating about a particular disease and how treatment would affect a basketball player. If AVN was not the cause of his hip surgery, the paragraph above is just clinical talk and may not be applicable to him.

With Welmer out for the first few games and Foreman coming back from injury, we need a big. The staff offered 4 bigs in the last week for a reason. Whaley may be only 6'9 205 lb but he's got some bounce. Willie Reed was about the same size as a freshman and he worked out OK. Pickett would be a player that's nice to have. If he wants to take his chances beating out 4 other guards/swingmen for minutes, fine. But for the sake of class balance, offering that scholarship to a 2018 kid makes more sense to me. I'm confident the staff can land another talented 3 star in the fall.

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Let's speculate a bit about Foreman's hip. We all know he had hip surgery last year, we do not  know why, what was the diagnosis. Apparently there is no history of trauma  to the hip, I least I have not heard a thing even hinting of trauma to his hip causing his surgery. He is young and athletic and I would speculate that his problem was avascular necrosis of the femoral head, and the surgery may  well have been a hip replacement (if it was AVN). Avascular necrosis of the femoral head (Legg-Perthes) is a self contained genetic condition in which the vascular bed of a femoral head develops in a faulty way, with insufficient bone vascularization. This causes the femoral head (normally shaped like a sphere or a ball placed at the end of a straight neck of bone) to flatten out and become painful. This condition is not uncommon and once treated surgically (usually with a prosthesis) it does just fine. Now, the just fine applies to normal people, not to athletes. I presume he has been taking it very easy and not pressuring the hip, in order to allow the full strength of the muscles and ligaments surrounding the prosthesis to fully develop. I would assume this may cause some trouble (lack of exercise and training) when he is allowed to start training and playing in earnest, but generally this should resolve in time. In other words, just because he had hip surgery (if it was due to AVN of the hip), he does not have a weak or frail hip and should fully recover in time. Should means complications may happen, nothing is really known until it is shown to be the case. 

Now my disclaimer,:I really do not know what the diagnosis was that caused this kid's surgery, period. I am just speculating about a particular disease and how treatment would affect a basketball player. If AVN was not the cause of his hip surgery, the paragraph above is just clinical talk and may not be applicable to him.

You live for injuries.  I think you should have medical stats on all the players.

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Foreman having AVN of his femoral head would most likely be the worst case scenario and at his age I wouldn't imagine any doctor recommending a hip replacement for a D1 basketball player.  I think a more probable and common surgery would be for something Labrum related or Hip Impingement.  

Again, as OG said none of us know and this is all speculation, but I would think it was more of a minor hip surgery than a very serious surgery (hip replacement).  I would imagine by now he is moving around and cleared for almost all activity (not sure if anyone has any extra insight on this from Foreman sightings at Chaifetz or around campus). Hopefully all our guys stick to their rehab this summer and come back healthy and strong for next year.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

I dozed off at 2nd necrosis :) but does this have anything like what Bo Jackson had?

17 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge about people, who is Bo Jackson and what did he have?

Really???

Bo Jackson was a great football and baseball player in the late 80s/early 90s. Incredible talent in both sports, but it all came crashing down when he sustained a terrible hip injury in the playoffs with the LA Raiders. Ended his football career, and effectively ended his baseball career.

3 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Really???

Bo Jackson was a great football and baseball player in the late 80s/early 90s. Incredible talent in both sports, but it all came crashing down when he sustained a terrible hip injury in the playoffs with the LA Raiders. Ended his football career, and effectively ended his baseball career.

Probably was destined to most amazing career in history of pro sports IMO until the injury.

It does not matter whether I know Bo or not, by all posts above he had a "terrible injury" during the playoffs which ended his career. Foreman, as far as I know, has not had any traumatic injuries during play that stopped him from playing. Different animals, it looks like.