Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Illini fans are kinda low key dumping on Pickett following this news. Saying he wouldn't play at all this year anyways, isn't a real loss, Antigua will bring in better transfers, etc... I'm sure most of this is a reactionary mechanism, but what is the rundown on Pickett? 3-star, traditional SG? 

Pickett can play the 2 or the 3.  Solid ballhandler, good rebounder and knows how to score.  Style of play and athleticism is similar to Roby.  Would have gotten Zeke's minutes and some of Crawford's minutes last year.  Don't see significant minutes available for him with all the talent at the 2/3 next year.

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I'd take Pickett over Tilmon in a heartbeat. And I wouldn't really care about a log jam. Those things have a way of working themselves out. 

Agree. I'd love Pickett in billiken blue.

I guess here's my question: for those who have seen all the kids play, where would Pickett rank among Torrence Watson and Karrington Davis? I've only seen Davis, and that was for slightly more than one half. The way I see it is if you get Pickett, when you add the 2018 commit from Thatch, you might be giving up on a guard out of 2018 like Watson or Davis. 

9 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I guess here's my question: for those who have seen all the kids play, where would Pickett rank among Torrence Watson and Karrington Davis? I've only seen Davis, and that was for slightly more than one half. The way I see it is if you get Pickett, when you add the 2018 commit from Thatch, you might be giving up on a guard out of 2018 like Watson or Davis. 

In my uneducated opinion if you have the chance to add a good player in 2017 you can't be concerned how that impacts 2018 recruiting 

11 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush

10 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I like Pickett but I'm all about putting local players in a position to succeed. And he isn't better than Henriquez, Bess, Roby or JJ right now . Goodwin is a newbie at the 1 so he's going to play some minutes at the 2/3 as well.    I wouldn't offer a local player in spring unless 1) I think he's going to play double digits right away 2) he's open to redshirting.  Otherwise it's just a wasted scholarship.

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

At this stage in Karrington's development Pickett is better.  Watson is offensively better than Pickett imo. Pickett and Goodwin are friends and i do believe SLU would be interested in another guard in the 2017 class.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I like Pickett but I'm all about putting local players in a position to succeed. And he isn't better than Henriquez, Bess, Roby or JJ right now . Goodwin is a newbie at the 1 so he's going to play some minutes at the 2/3 as well.    I wouldn't offer a local player in spring unless 1) I think he's going to play double digits right away 2) he's open to redshirting.  Otherwise it's just a wasted scholarship.

I understand your point, but do guys always have to be put in a position to produce as a freshman?  Roby will be gone after his freshman year, Henriquez and Bess after his sophomore year.  As long as he doesn't have wild dreams of needing to play in the NBA, he can take the traditional path to a productive career here at SLU.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

right tI like Pickett but I'm all about putting local players in a position to succeed. And he isn't better than Henriquez, Bess, Roby or JJ right now . Goodwin is a newbie at the 1 so he's going to play some minutes at the 2/3 as well.    I wouldn't offer a local player in spring unless 1) I think he's going to play double digits right away 2) he's open to redshirting.  Otherwise it's just a wasted scholarship.

I understand what you are saying, but Pickett has a higher upside down than at least two of the guys on your list.  A slight improvement in Pickett's 3 point shooting and you got yourself a great offensive weapon.

8 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Also taking Pickett could also land us Tilmon, possibly. Thats just from what I've been seeing. Apparently Pickett didn't like how Tilmon was being treated with the coaching switch

Can you cite a source? Or is this all just being pulled out of your a$$?