Recruiting - 2016

Barnes is to Jayson Tatum as Justin Tatum was to Larry Hughes.

Offering Justin to help Larry feel better about coming here is still paying dividends today. I wonder if Billiken fans were vigorously debating offering Justin back then. Let's stop debating whether Barnes is worthy of a scholarship to our lofty program. He's a D-1 player. He could come here and develop into a very good player.

Facts: Jordan Barnes by himself, maybe not worthy of a scholarship offer. Jordan Barnes and FBJT, definitely worthy of two scholarship offers. This is a no brainer. Tell FBJT if he commits, Jordan can come too.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's good enough to eventually play for us, IMO. The major impediment right now is he can't get deep in the paint against good high school competition. For a kid who is his team's primary ballhandler, he doesn't get to the free throw line often. Also, he's not particularly adept at scoring off the bounce.

So you're left with a skinny 5'10 stand still jumpshooter. That's a tough act to pull off in the A-10. Even more so than our current roster, the weight room will be critical to his development if he comes here. He's got good enough handles to hold his own offensively. He just needs the strength.

I completely agree with this assessment, good stuff.

Offering Justin to help Larry feel better about coming here is still paying dividends today. I wonder if Billiken fans were vigorously debating offering Justin back then. Let's stop debating whether Barnes is worthy of a scholarship to our lofty program. He's a D-1 player. He could come here and develop into a very good player.

Facts: Jordan Barnes by himself, maybe not worthy of a scholarship offer. Jordan Barnes and FBJT, definitely worthy of two scholarship offers. This is a no brainer. Tell FBJT if he commits, Jordan can come too.

Justin Tatum was a legit player. He was worthy of an offer whether Larry came or not. A more apt comparison is offering Troy Robertson to get Ryan.

Not sure on Barnes. I doubt if we can sustain 4 years of Bishop and Barnes at pg and be good. They just don't project to be A10 players.

Justin Tatum was a legit player. He was worthy of an offer whether Larry came or not. A more apt comparison is offering Troy Robertson to get Ryan.

Not sure on Barnes. I doubt if we can sustain 4 years of Bishop and Barnes at pg and be good. They just don't project to be A10 players.

All we have is YouTube clips but Bishop does seem to have a knack for penetrating. If he has a legit floater that may compensate for his lack of explosiveness.

Seems to be very positive for SLU's chances.

Article on Jayson with lots of quotes from Justin.

https://t.co/ZbQSqAd4RC

As always a little bit for those that think he will be a Billiken as well as some for those that are convinced he won't be.

Best news I read in there is a mid July or August timeline for a decision.

If we can take chances on multiple project bigs........ we should be able to find a spot for a project pg who will help you land the best player in the country, plays for the top AAU team in the region and plays for a high school that produces D1 talent.

The treatment we are giving Barnes could come back to haunt the program in multiple ways.

Justin Tatum was a big time recruit in his own right. He had offers from Oklahoma and other big conference schools.

If we can take chances on multiple project bigs........ we should be able to find a spot for a project pg who will help you land the best player in the country, plays for the top AAU team in the region and plays for a high school that produces D1 talent.

The treatment we are giving Barnes could come back to haunt the program in multiple ways.

Just what "treatment" are you talking about? Do you know what we have done with regard to Barnes? Have Ky, Duke and NC all offered Barnes? I didn't think so!

Come on Brian. You used to be a lot more positive, now you are down on just about everything!

Just what "treatment" are you talking about? Do you know what we have done with regard to Barnes? Have Ky, Duke and NC all offered Barnes? I didn't think so!

Come on Brian. You used to be a lot more positive, now you are down on just about everything!

We just had or worst season in decades. That is why I am down.

The key to moving forward at this point appears to hinge on landing Tatum or at least landing many of the younger Eagle's players down the line. I would do everything possible to make that happen. Offering Barnes isn't really all that much of reach for the program on its own. Factor in the Tatum and Eagles connections, it is a no brainer.

The key to moving forward at this point appears to hinge on landing Tatum or at least landing many of the younger Eagle's players down the line. I would do everything possible to make that happen. Offering Barnes isn't really all that much of reach for the program on its own. Factor in the Tatum and Eagles connections, it is a no brainer.

Brian, you didn't answer my question. What "treatment" of Barnes are you talking about?

Our scholarships are very limited the next couple of years. I would agree with what someone wrote earlier, JT & JB would be worth it, but not JB on his own. Somehow I don't think offering JB would seal the deal with FBJT. If who he is playing with his one and only year in college is so important then he would probably do one of those package deals with one or two of the other top ranked recruits and go to one of the other 3 schools still on his list. If playing with JB was so critical then why did they go to different high schools? I think some on this board are over estimating the influence of JB on FBJT

Just my opinion. By the way, I share your thoughts about last year and as I wrote two seasons ago, I disagreed with JC's decision to play 5 seniors most of the time, especially Jake B when we had MC sitting on the bench with similar skills. I felt then, and I feel somewhat vindicated now, that the lack of concern about getting playing time for MC and TL was a big mistake. At the least, playing the FR more that year would have let us know what we had, besides getting them some experience. Had we played MC, TL and RA more then, I believe last year might have been somewhat better.

Like you, I share some concern about JC's decisions, e.g. not putting someone at the FT line when we are shooting, however, he is going to be here and he will be part of the reason we have a shot at FBJT so we need to get behind him and support the program.

I think more apt would be Salecich to Ellis. Except, Barnes has a much higher upside than Salecich and Ellis wasn't nearly as good as Jayson. Rickma took the chance committing to Salecich hoping it would lead to Ellis and open a Aussie pipeline.

Brian, you didn't answer my question. What "treatment" of Barnes are you talking about?

Our scholarships are very limited the next couple of years. I would agree with what someone wrote earlier, JT & JB would be worth it, but not JB on his own. Somehow I don't think offering JB would seal the deal with FBJT. If who he is playing with his one and only year in college is so important then he would probably do one of those package deals with one or two of the other top ranked recruits and go to one of the other 3 schools still on his list. If playing with JB was so critical then why did they go to different high schools? I think some on this board are over estimating the influence of JB on FBJT

Agreed. Playing with Barnes was one many things on Jayson's wish list. We have no idea where it ranks amongst the other factors on his list. In reality he wouldn't be playing with Barnes anyway. He would be abusing him and the rest of the B teamers in practice. Barnes would be hard pressed to see the floor his freshman year.

Just my opinion. By the way, I share your thoughts about last year and as I wrote two seasons ago, I disagreed with JC's decision to play 5 seniors most of the time, especially Jake B when we had MC sitting on the bench with similar skills. I felt then, and I feel somewhat vindicated now, that the lack of concern about getting playing time for MC and TL was a big mistake. At the least, playing the FR more that year would have let us know what we had, besides getting them some experience. Had we played MC, TL and RA more then, I believe last year might have been somewhat better.

At the risk of taking the recruiting thread off topic, I just don't get this. No amount of playing TL his freshman year would have made him a better player last year. He just isn't that good. RA was hurt the second half of his freshmen year and couldn't contribute much even if we wanted him to.

So then you are left with MC. Maybe playing him more in 2013-14 would have benefited us marginally last year but what are we realistically talking about here, one or two extra wins? And what if playing MC his freshman year would have cost us a game that season? Given all the close games we played that year its not far fetched to believe that is possible. I'd gladly concede two wins last year for 1 extra win the year before when every win was the difference between seeding in the NCAA tournament and another A-10 championship.

Fact is, the sophomores just aren't that great and playing them a lot as freshmen wouldn't have changed that. As for the theory that it would have benefited us to know what we had, how does that work? We had only one scholarship available last spring so even if we knew that none of the sophomores would be major contributors I'm not sure I see how that leads to additional wins last season.

I disagree on the key to moving forward. If we landed FBJT that would be huge but if we don't SLU can still be successful in the future. I'm not sure why SLU hasn't offered they've had ample time to evaluate him and aren't ready. Seems this coaching staff puts a premium on size maybe that is why.

SLU has to make these scholarships count and get capable guys. It might be Barnes might not. I think the staff has time to make that decision.

I disagree on the key to moving forward. If we landed FBJT that would be huge but if we don't SLU can still be successful in the future.

Agreed. Gradually building your roster works, it just takes longer. I like most of the 2 and 3 star players the staff is tracking in case they have to resort to plan B. It would be a bit of a letdown after all the Tatum excitement but that's life. The board, on the other hand, would go into meltdown mode.

The board goes into meltdown mode not infrequently. I agree that with or without JT we will rebuild our team and make it competitive. It is a matter of determination and hard work for all involved. Lucky draws are nice but you cannot count on them.

The board goes into meltdown mode not infrequently. I agree that with or without JT we will rebuild our team and make it competitive. It is a matter of determination and hard work for all involved. Lucky draws are nice but you cannot count on them.

Let's see how next year plays out, then we will know how good our freshmen really are, considering they had more minutes than most freshmen on other teams. We shall see. Reality check.

@scottybscout: @STLEaglesBBall moving the ball all around the floor. Jordan Barnes w 12 second half pts. Eagles lead LV Prospects 50-36 w 9 min left

@prepbullseye: Strong shooting from 5'11 2016 PG Jordan Barnes & easy buckets in transition give Eagles 52-39 ld on Vegas Prospects w/ 8 & a half left.