Recruiting - 2016

The good news is that Barnes could come into a nice situation where we have other PG's on the roster and he can sit back and develop. I think he could be a player as a junior and senior.

The bad news is that it still remains to be seen if any of the guys that would be ahead of them can handle the point.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pro Barnes and I'm pro building a relationship with the Eagles but I'm not sure your analogy to the AIS is really all that applicable. We ended up getting only one more player (Ellis) from the AIS so it's not like we built some huge pipeline. Rather the pipeline to Oceana was all Chris Harriman.

SLU's relationship with the Eagles is important and a pipeline should be developed. But Rich Grawer once said that if you recruit local kids you'd better be sure they can play because if they can't and you bury them on the bench, you'll never hear the end of it from the local coaches. An easy way to make sure the Eagles pipeline never develops would be to bring in a player and never play him because he sin't good enough or even worse run him off later.

Agreed. Best case scenario is Barnes improves significantly before he hits campus. Right now if you stay at home on him he doesn't have a counter to make you pay. If we expect to build local support by bringing in local kids, they have to be contributors.

I'm pro Barnes and I'm pro building a relationship with the Eagles but I'm not sure your analogy to the AIS is really all that applicable. We ended up getting only one more player (Ellis) from the AIS so it's not like we built some huge pipeline. Rather the pipeline to Oceana was all Chris Harriman.

SLU's relationship with the Eagles is important and a pipeline should be developed. But Rich Grawer once said that if you recruit local kids you'd better be sure they can play because if they can't and you bury them on the bench, you'll never hear the end of it from the local coaches. An easy way to make sure the Eagles pipeline never develops would be to bring in a player and never play him because he sin't good enough or even worse run him off later.

+1 Excellent points.

And as for Barnes, I have absolutely no doubt that he would like to play for the Billikens and with Jayson as well. Then, again, there are hundreds of other local kids who would like the same. Who wouldn't want to play with Jayson? And for full disclosure, I have not seen Barnes play so I offer no opinion as to whether or not he would be a good fit for us here at SLU. At the same time, I am more interested to know who Jayson would like to play with. And, of course, Jayson cannot and will not come out and say that he does not want to play with XYZ player(s) -- especially teammates, but if Jayson is only playing college ball for one year, maybe the Jayson can/will bring another top player from Memphis or elsewhere.

And I am all for building local pipelines, but I question the timing more than anything in that we only have 2 scholarships for next year (and 1 already is reserved for Mr. Tatum), we already have alot of young players, we won only 11 games this past year, so really need help now -- not later.

The good news is that Barnes could come into a nice situation where we have other PG's on the roster and he can sit back and develop. I think he could be a player as a junior and senior.

The bad news is that it still remains to be seen if any of the guys that would be ahead of them can handle the point.

Again, I have no idea how good Barnes may be. But if we take your assumption that he would not contribute much until his Jr and Sr years, then I would have a concern in that we won only 11 games last year and don't have the luxury of waiting 2 years for kids to develop. Last year, we relied heavily upon our Frosh -- and even played 5 of them at the same at times. Next year, they will be joined and hopefully pushed by Bishop. And in a little over a year from now, all of them may need to be pushed by our other 2016 recruit. That's how good programs are formed -- competition caused by good recruiting class after good recruiting class.

If Jordan Barnes were actually playing with Jayson in his one season of college basketball it would likely be a bad sign of the development of our current guards.

For those who have not seen him play, Jordan Barnes is about 5'10 and 160 lbs. He has a nice outside shot and handles the ball well, but is really small and lacks elite quickness/athleticism to make up for that.

It is believed that Tatum will make his decision this summer, so no need to worry about Barnes at this point. IF/WHEN he picks us, then we figure out just how important playing with Barnes is to young Mr. Tatum. At this point, all we have is Justin (Barnes' HS coach) floating out the idea. We don't really know how important the idea is to Jayson. Maybe Jayson would rather we pursue one of his high level buddies on the AAU circuit. IF playing with Barnes is really, really, really important to Jayson, then of course we offer.

Also, if you are worried about a kid possibly not working out just completly quit recruiting locally. We have had plenty of local kids that have not worked out over the years. We have took plenty of local kids that would qualify as projects. Have one of those kids on the roster now.

I'm all for recruiting QUALITY local players, but over the years it seems to me the AAU coaches, HS coaches, media folks, various self-styled power brokers that criticize SLU for not doing a good job of recruiting local players are usually trying to push us to take second tier, marginal players. Yet, when a truly good local recruit comes along, they never tout the idea of the young player considering staying home and playing for SLU. These local bball types without fail are blinded by the bright lights. They are happy to see the quality players leave town for a "big time" program, yet they want us to be there for all the leftovers (not sure why a guy like vtime is popping into my head right now).

Oversigning is not a concern. We'll do it if we have to.

The thing that concerns me the most is where we go if we don't land Tatum. Curry is blowing up and we're obviously less appealing without Tatum. Other than that, there's not a ton of names out there that we're still in on I guess. I know a lot of recruiting contact isn't public for a school like SLU so who knows who we're really recruiting, but I just wish we had heard more. The 2016-17 season is probably the soonest we can expect to seriously compete for a NCAA bid so I'd like to have at least one frosh come in and at least contribute off the bench.

I'm all for recruiting QUALITY local players, but over the years it seems to me the AAU coaches, HS coaches, media folks, various self-styled power brokers that criticize SLU for not doing a good job of recruiting local players are usually trying to push us to take second tier, marginal players. Yet, when a truly good local recruit comes along, they never tout the idea of the young player considering staying home and playing for SLU. These local bball types without fail are blinded by the bright lights. They are happy to see the quality players leave town for a "big time" program, yet they want us to be there for all the leftovers (not sure why a guy like vtime is popping into my head right now).

Plain and simple: the local high school coaches, AAU coachs/organizers, trainers, etc. would much rather advertise and promote their services by they sent their kid to Duke, Kentucky, etc. than to SLU or even to Mizzou.

Elyjah Goss, a 6'7 forward out of Chicago is coming down for the SLU elite camp. He's not Curry, but he is an athletic finisher with a quick first step and good hands. He would contribute right away.

I will be attempting to attend the Elite Camp. Schedule is very busy that weekend, but I hope to be able to have a full report.

Though they would never say it publicly, SLU would oversign if absolutely necessary.

Especially this coming period. This isn't a normal signing period. You are supposed to be pulling out all the stops to sign the best player in the country and, also, positioning yourself for the wave of local talent coming through the following couple of years.

This is make or break time for the program.

Especially this coming period. This isn't a normal signing period. You are supposed to be pulling out all the stops to sign the best player in the country and, also, positioning yourself for the wave of local talent coming through the following couple of years.

This is make or break time for the program.

The coming period is about Tatum, but also about what talent can be brought in with him. Best case scenario he comes here and stays one year. That will be a great year, but hopefully the staff can find some talented 3 or 4 year players along with him. Oversign, hand out bags of cash, whatever. Get it done.

Also if the current rising sophomores all stay, that will lead us to another 6 or 7 man freshman class in 3 years that will provide 0 continuity to the program again.

Don't know who it will be. It is a safe statement to make based on recent history and the current structure of the roster.

I agree that some will likely want to transfer due to lack of playing time but this decision will not be made until the Spring. And while I am willing to encourage kids to leave in the Spring, I am not a fan of awarding more scholarships than available in the Fall. Wrong message to send to kids. Not good for team chemistry. Not fair for kids who will worry all year (and not develop in a positive atmosphere) and will not allow the kids to reach a decision on their own.

The coming period is about Tatum, but also about what talent can be brought in with him. Best case scenario he comes here and stays one year. That will be a great year, but hopefully the staff can find some talented 3 or 4 year players along with him. Oversign, hand out bags of cash, whatever. Get it done.

Also if the current rising sophomores all stay, that will lead us to another 6 or 7 man freshman class in 3 years that will provide 0 continuity to the program again.

Hello? Why do you assume someone will leave but not be from the current rising sophomores? That's exactly where the transfer(s) will come from. They will be on their way to being Juniors and will want playing time. Not all can start (6 competing for 5 spots) and hopefully the incoming Frosh (2 more) and rising Frosh (Neufeld, Welmer and Bishop).also compete and take a few spots. Once recruited over, kids see the writing on the wall and decide to transfer.

I agree that some will likely want to transfer due to lack of playing time but this decision will not be made until the Spring. And while I am willing to encourage kids to leave in the Spring, I am not a fan of awarding more scholarships than available in the Fall. Wrong message to send to kids. Not good for team chemistry. Not fair for kids who will worry all year (and not develop in a positive atmosphere) and will not allow the kids to reach a decision on their own.

I think that is just the environment of college sports these days. Big time college football and baksetball programs oversign, but they kind of have to with the increase in guys transferring or leaving college early for the pros. I don't think it is controversial to say that two guys on our current roster will not be with the team a year from now. Didn't one of our past transfers, Drew maybe, essentially say that he was cut by Crews? That didn't seem to hurt the team chemistry too much.