Recruiting - 2016

Offer him as a preferred walk on for year one and give him Tatums scholarship after he leaves.

Although if he has a commitable offer from Indiana State, he isn't that huge of a reach for an A10 level recruit.

I agree in the level of play. It's not like the kid is Daniel Lisch or something

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind a non athletic scholarship player is not allowed to participate in most of off season work and not afforded the athletic amenities that the roster gets. Second the answer is not academic scholarship or financial aid if the student in question doesn't really have the normal qualifications that the students at large would get.

For example slu only gives out a very limited number of presidential scholarships (believe it is less than 50) and that is the only full tuition scholarship the school gives out. And that does not include room and board, books etc. These are the off the chart high achievers with extra curricula resumes that are out of this world. Their interpersonal skills resemble a world ambassador.

If we provide a full academic scholarship to someone less than that I can guarantee you the ncaa would see that as a masked athletic scholarship.

It is not so simple to get around the rule. This is why it is common for heartless coaches to just cut the lesser plsyers to make roster space As a school really has no other choice to make room

Closer to Paul Eckerle at this point. He can contribute, just not right away.

Which is fine, because we don't need him to be a major player right away. He's a decent player, is friends with Tatum, and goes to a school where it would be beneficial to have a good relationship for recruiting purposes.

#barnesfor2016

Keep in mind a non athletic scholarship player is not allowed to participate in most of off season work and not afforded the athletic amenities that the roster gets. Second the answer is not academic scholarship or financial aid if the student in question doesn't really have the normal qualifications that the students at large would get.

For example slu only gives out a very limited number of presidential scholarships (believe it is less than 50) and that is the only full tuition scholarship the school gives out. And that does not include room and board, books etc. These are the off the chart high achievers with extra curricula resumes that are out of this world. Their interpersonal skills resemble a world ambassador.

If we provide a full academic scholarship to someone less than that I can guarantee you the ncaa would see that as a masked athletic scholarship.

It is not so simple to get around the rule. This is why it is common for heartless coaches to just cut the lesser plsyers to make roster space As a school really has no other choice to make room

+1

Besides Eckerle we've never done this, so I don't understand why it keeps coming up. furthermore, the NCAA has very strict rules about trying to gain extra athletic scholarships by handing out academic scholarships to basketball players. Put differently, its not happening.

Just curious, who do you see?

None of them as a for sure thing, but I think Bartley will get there. Then Reynolds and Bishop both with a chance.

If we think Barnes isn't good enough to ever play for us, I can buy that argument. But the idea that we're set at point guard is crazy to me.

None of them as a for sure thing, but I think Bartley will get there. Then Reynolds and Bishop both with a chance.

If we think Barnes isn't good enough to ever play for us, I can buy that argument. But the idea that we're set at point guard is crazy to me.

Agree 100%

-I don't remember or know who is doing the blog, but good on you!!!

-a July or August, if before the school year starts, decision would seem to remove The Hat Ceremony, a very good sign

-if offering Barnes who seems to have ability to play A10 ball makes a difference tell FBJT you sign and we'll get Barnes here, too

This board sure does write off some recruits right away...Bishop and Welmer has 0% chance of amounting to anything according to this board. Youtube video scouting is an amazing thing. As a fan/mbm, I am in favor of just letting Tatum choose his own roster, be player/coach, and all that stuff...However, there has to be some cutoff point where someone/somewhere needs to look past the one-Tatum year...and keep some program integrity.

Regarding point guards, I would like to see an MR develop any semblance of a jumpshot. His quickness is a real nice asset. He is kind of like Luis Mendoza off of the Mighty Ducks (D2). Someone needs to set up a wall of aluminum cans or something to see if he can add coordination to his speed.

-a July or August, if before the school year starts, decision would seem to remove The Hat Ceremony, a very good sign

-if offering Barnes who seems to have ability to play A10 ball makes a difference tell FBJT you sign and we'll get Barnes here, too

How does a decision in July or August remove the hat ceremony?

Typically the hat ceremony takes place in a school library. If he does one, it likely wouldn't be at school. Maybe he'll have one at Applebee's. I recall we lost Patrick Ingram and Quinton Chievous on the hat deal.

Agreed. Blog guy>Stu

Maybe instead of hats he will go with the Lee Corso approach and pull the Billiken mascot head from underneath the table and throw it on. I think that would be the way to go.

That would be awesome! That would go viral as the kids like to say.

Typically the hat ceremony takes place in a school library. If he does one, it likely wouldn't be at school. Maybe he'll have one at Applebee's. I recall we lost Patrick Ingram and Quinton Chievous on the hat deal.

Turns out they weren't losses.

+1 -- but minus the word "heartless" :D

-my recollection is that these have typically been done in school gyms with the audience being the other students, if the students aren't in session there is no audience, just trying to find as many positives as possible

-I love the Corso idea!! talk about creating a legacy, that would do it

He's good enough to eventually play for us, IMO. The major impediment right now is he can't get deep in the paint against good high school competition. For a kid who is his team's primary ballhandler, he doesn't get to the free throw line often. Also, he's not particularly adept at scoring off the bounce.

So you're left with a skinny 5'10 stand still jumpshooter. That's a tough act to pull off in the A-10. Even more so than our current roster, the weight room will be critical to his development if he comes here. He's got good enough handles to hold his own offensively. He just needs the strength.