Recruiting - 2016

Hello? Why do you assume someone will leave but not be from the current rising sophomores? That's exactly where the transfer(s) will come from. They will be on their way to being Juniors and will want playing time. Not all can start (6 competing for 5 spots) and hopefully the incoming Frosh (2 more) and rising Frosh (Neufeld, Welmer and Bishop).also compete and take a few spots. Once recruited over, kids see the writing on the wall and decide to transfer.

He didn't assume that. In fact, he is basically stating that its a problem if all 6 sophs stay around all 4 years. The implication is that the transfers will come from that class.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I feel like we oversigned like 5 years ago under Majerus? Maybe I just have the timing wrong.

To my knowledge, we've never oversigned. In fact, Majerus seemed to go out of his way not to oversign one year as Jeff Reed (Kansas kid with the concussion) left the program one day and the same day it was announced that Rob Loe had orally committed.

To my knowledge, we've never oversigned. In fact, Majerus seemed to go out of his way not to oversign one year as Jeff Reed (Kansas kid with the concussion) left the program one day and the same day it was announced that Rob Loe had orally committed.

This is probably what I'm thinking of. In reality we probably oversigned, it just wasn't public or official.

This is probably what I'm thinking of. In reality we probably oversigned, it just wasn't public or official.

Agreed. It would definitely be different this time around if we signed 3 to a LOI in the fall and had to wait until the spring to see who among the existing 11 players was leaving.

Agreed. It would definitely be different this time around if we signed 3 to a LOI in the fall and had to wait until the spring to see who among the existing 11 players was leaving.

Definitely. It still would be oversigning, but I guess it is possible (maybe likely?) that someone could leave in December.

Definitely. It still would be oversigning, but I guess it is possible (maybe likely?) that someone could leave in December.

I suppose if you want to continue speculating, someone could leave in December and then in the Spring. Let's just oversign and give JT his pick of who to play with?????

Who cares if we oversign if common sense dictates that at least one or two guys will be transferring next spring? There are only so many minutes to go around despite Crews' best effort to play a 12 man rotation with 12 marginal players, someone isn't going to be happy and Crews has shown the willingness to essentially cut kids that aren't performing (based on Jared Drew).

Who cares if we oversign if common sense dictates that at least one or two guys will be transferring next spring? There are only so many minutes to go around despite Crews' best effort to play a 12 man rotation with 12 marginal players, someone isn't going to be happy and Crews has shown the willingness to essentially cut kids that aren't performing (based on Jared Drew).

Absolutely. If Brett Jolly gets irked by a lack of minutes this year and transfers to Emporia State, I think the program will be fine.

Absolutely. If Brett Jolly gets irked by a lack of minutes this year and transfers to Emporia State, I think the program will be fine.

Right, so you might as well be prepared for that happening and if that means oversigning, I have no problem with it. No reason not to recruit with the understanding that a transfer or two is a strong likelihood (especially given our current roster with 6 guys in the sophomore class) instead of rummaging through scraps in the spring when it actually does happen.

Possibly. What comes to my mind, though, is when RM was lining up his Spring commitments for his first full year of recruiting If correct, didn't rumors come out about our offering/signing of Cotto and another (Cassity?) about a week prior to RM's dismissal of Knollmeyer, MItchell and others?

I think that is just the environment of college sports these days. Big time college football and baksetball programs oversign, but they kind of have to with the increase in guys transferring or leaving college early for the pros. I don't think it is controversial to say that two guys on our current roster will not be with the team a year from now. Didn't one of our past transfers, Drew maybe, essentially say that he was cut by Crews? That didn't seem to hurt the team chemistry too much.

You mean Jared Drew? If so, wasn't he cut and dismissed from the team in the Summer or early Fall because he was a problem? If so, no one is saying that we shouldn't cut kids who are problems -- even Roy agrees with that. Roy's position, of course, is that no kid should be cut if he is not a problem (still going to class, practices, abiding by team rules, etc. If I am correct, Drew was both a problem and a bad player..

The problem I have is officially signing letters of intent in the Fall when no kid has asked to leave or been asked to leave. If Crews wants a kid gone, send him packing that Spring and help him find another place but don't be silent, keep him on the team, use him the entire basketball year and leave him wondering if it is him really going after watching too many kids signing official letters of intent in the Fall. Team chemistry will suffer was this kid is left dangling in th e wind all season long. To me, that is wrong. Now, if Crews tells the kid he can either leave that Spring or stay one final year and then go, then at least that would be honest. By comparison, though, how many employers say your fired but can hand on another year and then leave?

Looks like Zags blog just posted a new entry about FBJT's recruitment. He talks about each of his final schools in it.

Although I think we all realize UNC is a long shot at best, I'd have to imagine their latest notice of allegations has to further diminish their chances. Why would a one and done commit there a year early with the possibility of a postseason ban, loss of scholarships, etc.

Looks like Zags blog just posted a new entry about FBJT's recruitment. He talks about each of his final schools in it.

So the visit last month to SLU was not an official.

When was that piece written? The dateline says May 28, but I was under the impression that Tatum's recent visit to SLU, when he met with the coaching staff and the president, was "official."

When was that piece written? The dateline says May 28, but I was under the impression that Tatum's recent visit to SLU, when he met with the coaching staff and the president, was "official."

It wasn't official. If it was, it would have been a waste. Most official visits span an entire weekend.

People on this board were calling it official because people on here don't know what that means. As slufan13 points out there is no reason to have an official visit when all he is doing is speaking with the coaches for a few hours. When we are prepared to host him over a weekend, pay for dinners, etc. he can have an official visit. If he wants one.

Rumor has it that Jayson will be a part of the U19 National Team that will be playing in the World Championships in Greece this summer. The team is coached by Sean Miller and Archie is an assistant. Just thought that was an interesting A10 connection.

Nothing is publicly finalized for the U19 team so I'm not sure exactly how it'll work out, but you could maybe see Jayson and Harry Giles both playing on that team and I can assure you that the idea of a "package deal" is legit although I think it's more likely that if they were to both end up at the same school, it would be independent decisions. By that I mean, let's say Jayson commits to Duke in late July. Giles would then maybe commit in early August. So not a package deal in the sense that they commit together but a package deal in that if Jayson commits to Duke, it could be the last bit of convincing that Giles would need. Not sure if it'll work the same in the other direction. Meaning Giles first and Tatum follows.

I believe that Tournament ends in early July (the 5th or 6th I believe). Jayson will then continue to gear up for the Peach Jam.

After Peach Jam, look for things to really slow down for Jayson. My understanding is that he may take some visits after that, and his main goal will be making his college decision. He'll obviously still be working out and working on his game, but I think he will be kind of shutting a bit and getting some well deserved rest before he begins his senior year.

To go along with our article after speaking with Justin, I would expect a decision post Peach Jam and pre senior year. Again though, as was reported yesterday, he will decide when comfortable.

And before anyone asks, I honestly have no clue where Jayson is leaning. We spoke to his father, some Duke guys, and someone who is close to the Chaminade program and nobody really knows. The Duke guys think he's heading to Duke but they did acknowledge SLU as a legit player based on their most recent discussions. We're hoping to speak to Jayson's mother as well.

Rumor has it that Jayson will be a part of the U19 National Team that will be playing in the World Championships in Greece this summer. The team is coached by Sean Miller and Archie is an assistant. Just thought that was an interesting A10 connection.

Nothing is publicly finalized for the U19 team so I'm not sure exactly how it'll work out, but you could maybe see Jayson and Harry Giles both playing on that team and I can assure you that the idea of a "package deal" is legit although I think it's more likely that if they were to both end up at the same school, it would be independent decisions. By that I mean, let's say Jayson commits to Duke in late July. Giles would then maybe commit in early August. So not a package deal in the sense that they commit together but a package deal in that if Jayson commits to Duke, it could be the last bit of convincing that Giles would need. Not sure if it'll work the same in the other direction. Meaning Giles first and Tatum follows.

I believe that Tournament ends in early July (the 5th or 6th I believe). Jayson will then continue to gear up for the Peach Jam.

After Peach Jam, look for things to really slow down for Jayson. My understanding is that he may take some visits after that, and his main goal will be making his college decision. He'll obviously still be working out and working on his game, but I think he will be kind of shutting a bit and getting some well deserved rest before he begins his senior year.

To go along with our article after speaking with Justin, I would expect a decision post Peach Jam and pre senior year. Again though, as was reported yesterday, he will decide when comfortable.

And before anyone asks, I honestly have no clue where Jayson is leaning. We spoke to his father, some Duke guys, and someone who is close to the Chaminade program and nobody really knows. The Duke guys think he's heading to Duke but they did acknowledge SLU as a legit player based on their most recent discussions. We're hoping to speak to Jayson's mother as well.

Thanks for the insight and for doing the blog. I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks for the update, BB. I saw on "SLU Talk" on the Post-Dispatch site that supposedly there's a rumor going around that Tatum notified Crews that he's coming here. I'm sure that's just your typical made up message board rumor though.

If that were true, I'm sure you could find the coaching staff at Humphreys buying house rounds. But hey, its a good rumor at least.