Recruiting - 2016

It might be helpful to replace all these recruiting threads with a sticky:

EVERYBODY GOOD IS GOING TO COMMIT EVERYWHERE ELSE.

Until May and Crews are gone, that is. Need to pay a legit young coach $2mil a year or we can all piss up a rope.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be helpful to replace all these recruiting threads with a sticky:

EVERYBODY GOOD IS GOING TO COMMIT EVERYWHERE ELSE.

Until May and Crews are gone, that is. Need to pay a legit young coach $2mil a year or we can all piss up a rope.

Agreed. Been saying this for a year. Take down these pointless recruiting threads listing strong D1 players. We won't get them. Maybe start listing the 1-2 star players we have a chance with.

Agreed. Been saying this for a year. Take down these pointless recruiting threads listing strong D1 players. We won't get them. Maybe start listing the 1-2 star players we have a chance with.

All of the six (6) 2014 recruits were ESPN 3* and 2*, one (1) this year was 3*, one (1) 2*, the one (1) from Canada (Neufield) is not rated.

So 8 of 9 recruits that Crews is responsible for are either 3* or 2*, + Neufield from Canada.

Going back 40 years, we pretty much never, ever, ever get 4*-5* other than the Hughes fluke and a few that are arguable.

So 2 yrs, eight (8) recruits that are all 3* & 2* + Neufield from Canada who seems to be a quality talent but who's rating might have not been captured.

So tell me when we have done better... sure we do not know if these nine will develop into top notch players... but coming in, that is damn good recruiting by Crews and staff.

but coming in, that is damn good recruiting by Crews and staff.

How is that? Is there a player in the A-10 that was not a 2-3 star recruit?

I guess I will wait until this season plays out, but we still potentially have issues at the point and rebounding. They have built kind of a strange roster in my opinion with a lot of guys who play similar positions.

Yeah, he'd just miss practice and possibly early games if it were a full tear. But it's being called less serious than that, so he should be all right by the summer. He's making his decision tomorrow. Duke is thought to be the leader and has been all along, but Kentucky has "come on strong lately" - interpret that however you want.

He chose Duke. May they struggle all this season and next, with first round exits for all.

Giles tore his other ACL on Tuesday during the first game of Oak Hill's season. That's torn ACLs in both knees in a three year span. On a personal note, this has been a miserable recruiting year as I'm a St. Louis native and long-time North Carolina resident with the favorite teams of SLU and Wake. With NOT FBJT choosing Dook and now Giles doing the same, there's a lot of suck in that.

2016 updates:

Kostas Antetokounmpo still just has offers from Iowa State and Memphis and says he has no leader between the two. He also said he's been hearing lately from St. John's, Florida, Arizona State, and Georgia.

Ben Coupet recently said he's "still considering" Bradley, Michigan, SLU, and East Carolina (which is a crazy top 4, eh?). He said of SLU: "I can come in and play a lot of guard. They recruit a lot of Illinois players. The coaching staff is good." He plans to make his official visits before the end of 2015. Coupet was highly touted coming into HS, one of those hyped freshmen, but things got relatively quiet for a couple years with his recruitment. His desire to play guard in college is interesting, given that he's 6-6 (or taller, depending on the source) and has a 7-foot-tall father.

Kieran Hayward is off the board. Signed with LSU.

Skyler Nash expects to play most, if not all, of this season. His cancer is in remission and he's been cleared but remains closely monitored. He had one offer before his health issues - K-State - that is now thought to be stale. Wisconsin, Purdue, and Santa Clara are in the mix but none have offered yet. He'll either be a spring signee or go to prep school for a year first.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some updates on the 2016 list:

Kostas Antetokounmpo had St. John's assistant Matt Abdelmassih out to see him this week. A week ago, he hit a game winner at the Rick Majerus WBY Shootout and won MVP of the tournament. He's now listed at 6-10, which is no surprise. Good genes. In addition to Iowa State, Memphis, St. John's, SLU, Florida, Arizona State, Minnesota, and Georgia, UMass and Marquette are also involved. His list of suitors isn't going to stop growing until he decides it's time.

Ben Coupet has been a double-double machine this season for Simeon, but not much news is available in terms of his recruitment.

Speaking of double-doubles, Lorenzo Edwards continues to fill it up for Lake Forest. How he doesn't have more offers now is kind of puzzling. He's growing, developing new facets to his game, and really dominating. He's emerged as a big-time shot blocker in addition to a consistent scorer and rebounder, averaging around 19 and 11 per game. Tennessee State and Loyola-Chicago remain his only offers, and he'd be a steal for either one.

Will Gladson committed to Princeton. I like that.

Skyler Nash is back and playing well. Not much news on the recruiting front, but he may decide to do a prep year still.

I can't find much of anything on AJ Beckett (Champaign Central), and Jerry Myles appears to have vanished from the face of the earth.

Some updates on the 2016 list:

Kostas Antetokounmpo had St. John's assistant Matt Abdelmassih out to see him this week. A week ago, he hit a game winner at the Rick Majerus WBY Shootout and won MVP of the tournament. He's now listed at 6-10, which is no surprise. Good genes. In addition to Iowa State, Memphis, St. John's, SLU, Florida, Arizona State, Minnesota, and Georgia, UMass and Marquette are also involved. His list of suitors isn't going to stop growing until he decides it's time.

Ben Coupet has been a double-double machine this season for Simeon, but not much news is available in terms of his recruitment.

Speaking of double-doubles, Lorenzo Edwards continues to fill it up for Lake Forest. How he doesn't have more offers now is kind of puzzling. He's growing, developing new facets to his game, and really dominating. He's emerged as a big-time shot blocker in addition to a consistent scorer and rebounder, averaging around 19 and 11 per game. Tennessee State and Loyola-Chicago remain his only offers, and he'd be a steal for either one.

Will Gladson committed to Princeton. I like that.

Skyler Nash is back and playing well. Not much news on the recruiting front, but he may decide to do a prep year still.

I can't find much of anything on AJ Beckett (Champaign Central), and Jerry Myles appears to have vanished from the face of the earth.

Pistol, what would you say the chances are of us landing one of these guys with those long list of "suitors" as you call it?

Pistol, what would you say the chances are of us landing one of these guys with those long list of "suitors" as you call it?

We should still have at least one 2016 scholarship to give, assuming someone transfers (more likely, 2-3 guys transfer) or we move Hines back to walk-on status.

I think the ship on Kostas has sailed. Given who his brother is, he's too high-profile and I'm kind of shocked he doesn't have more offers already. He's grown fast and he's raw, but he's also clearly skilled and playing HS ball in the same town where his brother is a budding NBA star. He'll be good.

We were said to be very much in the mix for Beckett, but there is just nothing out there about this kid. Maybe he's a reach, and maybe that's why we were said to be a frontrunner over the summer.

Coupet was supposed to be the next big thing at Simeon but he's been inconsistent over his career, both in HS and AAU ball, and his star has waned. He's still grown a lot, though, and has some potential. I worry about the mental aspect of his game (from what I see and read; I haven't seen him first-hand), and whether a kind of fragile demeanor would work under Crews and on this roster; he'd be better off if we had a new coach (then again, everyone would). He's got us listed in his final four, so that has to mean something.

My guess is that Nash takes a prep year to get another year of playing and good health under his belt. He had Big Ten schools looking at him before the cancer hit. He's friends with Reynolds, from what I can tell, so we may stay involved.

But Edwards is the guy who I think is the best mix of a player who'd be a nice get for us, and who I think we have a good shot on. We just need to offer sooner than later. If his senior season keeps going so well, he's going to get noticed by more programs and could wind up with a decent list to choose from in the spring. I'd have to think we could beat out Tennessee State and Loyola-Chicago.

New name: Jamal Burton, a 6-3 guard from Morgan Park HS in Chicago. He only has an offer from lower-division Lewis, but SIUE, Loyola-Chicago, and SLU are all showing interest. He wasn't on many radars heading into his senior season, but he's turned a lot of heads so far. His break-out performance was against Evanston, where he guarded Nojel Eastern in a Morgan Park win. He's billed as a "glue guy" and a tough, gritty, defensive-minded player. He's working on consistency on the offensive end but has managed some big-time plays for close wins this season.

New name: Jamal Burton, a 6-3 guard from Morgan Park HS in Chicago. He only has an offer from lower-division Lewis, but SIUE, Loyola-Chicago, and SLU are all showing interest. He wasn't on many radars heading into his senior season, but he's turned a lot of heads so far. His break-out performance was against Evanston, where he guarded Nojel Eastern in a Morgan Park win. He's billed as a "glue guy" and a tough, gritty, defensive-minded player. He's working on consistency on the offensive end but has managed some big-time plays for close wins this season.

-can he dunk?

-but seriously, is it impossible for us to find kids that be effective on both ends of the floor at this level? we see them playing against us

Yes! Sign him up.

do we need more guards?

do we need more guards?

We need more better guards, forwards, centers, coaches, you name it if they are better we need more of them. 1983