Recruiting - 2016

Aleem Ford received a SLU offer a week ago.

Aleem Ford: SF, 6-7, 195, Lawrenceville, GA (IMG Academy, FL)Offers: SLU, Richmond, Rutgers, Marist, American. Interest: Seton Hall, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Northeastern, Wofford, Hofstra, Georgia Southern, Texas State, USC Upstate. Latest News: SLU was out to see Ford last week and extended an offer. He’s been hearing from Richmond, Hofstra, Georgia Southern, Texas State, and Georgia lately. He plans to wait until after the season before making a decision. He mentioned Richmond and Rutgers as schools he wants to visit at the end of the season. Scouting Report: Ford was a D-II recruit but felt like he lacked exposure in HS, so he took a post-grad year at IMG Academy in Florida. He runs the floor well and has a quality outside jumper, but is frequently used to take advantage of bigger, slower power forwards. He’s an active rebounder and is thin but adding muscle to his frame. Twitter: @A_Ford5

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aleem Ford received a SLU offer a week ago.

Aleem Ford: SF, 6-7, 195, Lawrenceville, GA (IMG Academy, FL)Offers: SLU, Richmond, Rutgers, Marist, American. Interest: Seton Hall, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Northeastern, Wofford, Hofstra, Georgia Southern, Texas State, USC Upstate. Latest News: SLU was out to see Ford last week and extended an offer. He’s been hearing from Richmond, Hofstra, Georgia Southern, Texas State, and Georgia lately. He plans to wait until after the season before making a decision. He mentioned Richmond and Rutgers as schools he wants to visit at the end of the season. Scouting Report: Ford was a D-II recruit but felt like he lacked exposure in HS, so he took a post-grad year at IMG Academy in Florida. He runs the floor well and has a quality outside jumper, but is frequently used to take advantage of bigger, slower power forwards. He’s an active rebounder and is thin but adding muscle to his frame. Twitter: @A_Ford5

Great, another skinny wing player. How about a point guard or a post player.

I think more likely he'd be Eileen Ford for four years. That would be model Gus behavior.

I expect him to start uttering lines from car dealer commercials. Imagine the starting lineups..

Starting at 13998.. Ford Akeem!

• 2 weeks later...

I just read an article where it said that he committed to Indiana St...

Anyway, when we get a new coach, do these 2016 players still come?

I cant imagine anyone committing right now...

Really? Being outrecruited by Terre Haute means its #FireCrewsorD2

(I am not advocating or speculating that we change divs. I am advocating firing Jim Crews.

Verballed to Indiana State in October but reopened his recruitment in January.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/ct-spt-0129-prep-bbk-recruiting-note-20160128-story.html

He's back open.

I'd think that a new coach would be a stronger selling point. Be part of the rebuilding rather than part of the extended bottoming out.

We're going to have a minimum of 3 transfers. 2016 shouldn't be a 1-man class.

The question is what happens to these specific offers when this staff is gone. I like a few of the 2016 guys we're after.

He's back open.

I'd think that a new coach would be a stronger selling point. Be part of the rebuilding rather than part of the extended bottoming out.

We're going to have a minimum of 3 transfers. 2016 shouldn't be a 1-man class.

The question is what happens to these specific offers when this staff is gone. I like a few of the 2016 guys we're after.

I would like to retain 1 of the assistant coaches to help the new coach sort out who we have been recruiting. We will have scholies to fill. Who do you keep? Tanner,Calbert ? Thats up to the new coach.

Willie this current staff has been so inept I couldnt care less about who they have been recruiting. Whomever we get as a new coach was/is currently chasing players. I'm good with blindly saying I'd prefer whatever recruits he's after now compared to anthing the crews crew is watching now. Clean house on the coaches.

Willie this current staff has been so inept I couldnt care less about who they have been recruiting. Whomever we get as a new coach was/is currently chasing players. I'm good with blindly saying I'd prefer whatever recruits he's after now compared to anthing the crews crew is watching now. Clean house on the coaches.

I think this approach is an overreaction . Why throw away a couple years of work when keeping somebody for 1 year is an easy thing to do. Besides who's to say all of the assistants haven't done a good job. When Tanner worked for Rick he must of done a decent job or Rick would have gotten rid of him. Calbert might be a great recruiter but Crews can't close the deal. If nothing else someone needs to tell the coach how to get to Pappys.

I have been told that Bronson and Cheney have been rendered somewhat ineffective by Crews, who apparently prefers to let Platt do much of the recruiting. While this should tell you all you need to know about Crews, it's hard to know if the other two are good evaluators/recruiters or not. I just wouldn't necessarily judge them based on the overall staff's performance.

A coach will choose his own staff so Bronson and/or Cheaney are going to have to reach out to the new coach if they want to stay on the staff here. My guess is Cheaney will have other offers. Who knows about Bronson.

Personally I'd wipe the slate clean from Crews down to the DBO. Between poor recruiting (agree that's more on Crews/Platt) and the lack of player development, it's time to start over. Bronson or Cheaney could be a good assistant coach under a competent head coach, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over getting rid of them. Give the new coach total and complete control of the program along with a 7 figure salary and we'll land somebody big.

A coach will choose his own staff so Bronson and/or Cheaney are going to have to reach out to the new coach if they want to stay on the staff here. My guess is Cheaney will have other offers. Who knows about Bronson.

Personally I'd wipe the slate clean from Crews down to the DBO. Between poor recruiting (agree that's more on Crews/Platt) and the lack of player development, it's time to start over. Bronson or Cheaney could be a good assistant coach under a competent head coach, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over getting rid of them. Give the new coach total and complete control of the program along with a 7 figure salary and we'll land somebody big.

Absolutely it's up to the new coach. I'm just saying that if I'm the new coach I would want to keep someone at least for the first year.

Absolutely it's up to the new coach. I'm just saying that if I'm the new coach I would want to keep someone at least for the first year.

If any of them have been overruled on recruiting decisions by the two-headed Crews/Platt monster and could get us some guys who could help us, then they'd be worth keeping. If not, start fresh.

The fact that Jim Platt draws a paycheck for his "work" angers me. But if he is actually involved in recruiting, Crews should be fired tomorrow. The guy is just awful at coaching and evaluating. He might have even fingered Freddy.

I have been told that Bronson and Cheney have been rendered somewhat ineffective by Crews, who apparently prefers to let Platt do much of the recruiting. While this should tell you all you need to know about Crews, it's hard to know if the other two are good evaluators/recruiters or not. I just wouldn't necessarily judge them based on the overall staff's performance.

Good Lord. The hits just keep on coming with Crews. You have the all-time leading scorer in Big 10 history in Cheaney, and a seemingly hard working young coach in Bronson, but you put Jim Platt in charge of recruiting??