Recruiting - 2016

Just to point add to my point about how playing locally in college impacts your legacy in this metro area.........

Without looking, how many people would know who the last consensus First-Team All-American from St Louis was?

How about the last consensus Second-Team All-American from St Louis?

We are talking about players that were among the ten best college players in a single season and I bet even most basketball fans in this town don't have a clue when it comes to answering those two questions.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked through a couple lists and see some names that might make sense, but I'll wait and see until we actually see SLU's name tied to some guys there.

I'd imagine that 2016 recruiting is really going to heat up now. As posters have said, this staff really needs a good class. As much as I wanted Tatum and thought we had a shot, I never fully counted on him and still think we have the ability to make it a strong year. But things need to start breaking sooner than later, as a lot of players are trying to trim their lists before the school year starts up again.

Dru Smith is one name I read before that SLU has been watching. Ben Weixlmann replied to a tweet that linked to a Indy star article.

The most the #1 pick in the draft can sign for is $26.6 million over 4 years. The second pick can go for $23.8 million, the third $21.3, the fourth $19..3. It is at the 14th pick that your contract value drops below $10 million. Again, all for four years. The free agents are the ones getting the top dollars, likely when this sliding rookie scale is over. So FBJT ain't getting $100 million any time soon. But I happen to believe $1 million the first year that is just about anyone can live on. All 30 of the first round picks get at least $1.1 million. Second rounders have no such guaranteed money. He'd be toip ten no matter where he played an dhow he finished that one-and-doen year because the NBA drafts on potential more than results to date.

Here is the article that mentions SLU is interested in Dru Smith with the paragraph below. Also mentions we are in contact with 2017 kid Cooper Neese.

Smith has offers from Ball State, Evansville, Indiana State, Northern Kentucky and South Alabama. Bradley, Loyola (Ill.) and Saint Louis have also been in contact and all had coaches at his game with Pocket City on Wednesday night at North Central. Butler's Lewis also watched his game before watching Gordon. Evansville coach Marty Simmons and Ball State coach James Whitford were also in attendance.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/07/08/eron-gordon-says-will-look-lsu/29895025/

Edit: Just realized this was already mentioned on here but didn't see the name on Pistols list when I looked.

So FBJT ain't getting $100 million any time soon. But I happen to believe $1 million the first year that is just about anyone can live on.

That is not exactly correct Taj, whether or not you can live on $1M per year depends on who you marry and how much you spend. Let's say that you were divorced at the time Kim Kardashian became available and that you married her. I would estimate an income of $1M would fall woefully short to support this wife at the level she likes to live.

Thanks for the Dru Smith tips, fellas.

One interesting note as I'm putting together a profile for him: the lead Ball State recruiter on him is Jason Grunkemeyer, former SLU assistant under Brad Soderberg.

Dru Smith: G, 6-3, 180, Evansville, IN (Reitz)Offers: Evansville, Indiana State, Ball State, Northern Kentucky, South Alabama. Interest: SLU, George Mason, Butler, Loyola-Illinois, Bradley. Latest News: SLU has shown interest in Smith lately, checking out recent AAU games. Smith said he’s waiting through July before planning 2-3 official visits. So far, he really seems to be responding to Ball State’s in-state recruiting message. Scouting Report: Smith has a thick frame for his age, causing him to frequently guard forwards on the defensive end despite being a combo guard on the other end. He’s a high energy player who does a little bit of everything. Twitter: dru_smith_12

Smith is maybe a little bit of a late bloomer. Didn't have any offers until February. Like Roby, he's on one of the best teams in the state without putting up big scoring numbers, but doing a little bit of everything (10.5 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 4.5 APG, 3.6 SPG). Last year, all five starters averaged double digits, and the first two reserves averaged about 8 PPG. So Smith may be called upon as more of a scorer his senior year

SLU's involvement is very recent, but they're not more than a few months behind anyone else. He's starting to rise on a lot of Indiana recruiting ranking lists and is on every "players to watch" list. Right now, Ball State appears to be the leader but we should have a clearer picture in a couple weeks; he wants to schedule his official visits before heading back to school.

That is not exactly correct Taj, whether or not you can live on $1M per year depends on who you marry and how much you spend. Let's say that you were divorced at the time Kim Kardashian became available and that you married her. I would estimate an income of $1M would fall woefully short to support this wife at the level she likes to live.

Give her the big stick and she'll settle for a lot less.

I understand we are all disappointed but I doubt this is true. JT is the highest level basketball recruit to come from St. Louis maybe ever. IF he lives up to the hype, he will be more popular than Hughes and Bonner combined. I would agree that he would not be more popular than Hughes & Bonner among SLU fans, for obvious reasons. Anyway, it is hard to measure popularity of NBA players here because this is such an anti-NBA town.

He will never be close to being as popular in St. Louis as Bonner and Hughes. David Lee and Bradley Beal are not even in the same conversation at Bonner and Hughes as far as popularity in St. Louis.

Also, St. Louis is not an anti-NBA town. We have a local hockey team and yet the NBA finals got something like twice the ratings of the Stanley Cup Finals in St. Louis. St. Louis had higher TV ratings for the NBA finals than several NBA cities.

He will never be close to being as popular in St. Louis as Bonner and Hughes. David Lee and Bradley Beal are not even in the same conversation at Bonner and Hughes as far as popularity in St. Louis.

Also, St. Louis is not an anti-NBA town. We have a local hockey team and yet the NBA finals got something like twice the ratings of the Stanley Cup Finals in St. Louis. St. Louis had higher TV ratings for the NBA finals than several NBA cities.

For the younger generation, Beal is already bigger than Hughes was

For the younger generation, Beal is already bigger than Hughes was

It is not even close to what Larry was back in the day. He owned this town and was starring in the video for the number one song in the country. Everyone knew who Hughes was.

It is not even close to what Larry was back in the day. He owned this town and was starring in the video for the number one song in the country. Everyone knew who Hughes was.

Then people need to watch what tense they use when referring to people's feelings toward Hughes. Because there's not a question that Beal is more popular in 2015

I first want to acknowledge that this is silly but its the offseason. My premise is that IF JT lives up to hype then he will be more popular than Hughes and Bonner. Lets say Hype = Best Player on National Champion Duke team, Top 3 draft pick, a top 5 NBA player within 5 years of being in the league and winner of at least 1 NBA championship and 1 MVP. Are you saying that if that all came true he would still be less popular in St. Louis then Bonner (6 NBA seasons 6.9 ppg 5.4 reb) and Hughes (above average NBA player)? I doubt it.

Then people need to watch what tense they use when referring to people's feelings toward Hughes. Because there's not a question that Beal is more popular in 2015

i would be willing to bet if both showed up at a billiken game and were introduced by gus and shown on the big screen, beal might get a golf clap. hughes would get a standing ovation.