Recruiting - 2016

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually expecting more out of Sneed in this tournament.

Agreed, I am lukewarm on him. Does anyone have any idea who the leaders for him are? Tyler Cook seems to continue to improve, but add him to the list of highly regarded local recruits who kick out of town for a high-major. Jeremiah Tilmon is another guy who I was a little disappointed with after seeing him play this past winter and thinking he looked like a definite one and done type talent with his fluidity for his size.

Sneed is Mizzou bound I would imagine.

I have heard that too but is it from him or more from Tate being assistant at Mizzou now? Hasn't seemed like Sneed has talked a lot about recruiting but I was distracted paying attention to a different 2016 recruit however I can't recall his name anymore.

I don't think people realize how difficult it is to convince a 17 year old to stay home for college. My daughter is a rising senior in high school. She thinks Wash U and SLU are great schools but she has no desire to stay here. She thinks Missouri is to close. Very few people in her circle of friends are even considering staying home. I don't blame them.

It is probably much easier to recruit outside of STL.

We have some crybabies on this board. The fact that we didn't get Tatum is on the staff in my opinion, not because Tatum is a bad guy. And if Tatum was never going to come here, well, that is on the staff too because they should have read the tea leaves. They make the decision on how to allocate resources. I think our double-A staff was trying to play in the big leagues and didn't know how to compete.

It sounds like we were never under consideration, but Cook is the type of player we need.

We have some crybabies on this board. The fact that we didn't get Tatum is on the staff in my opinion, not because Tatum is a bad guy. And if Tatum was never going to come here, well, that is on the staff too because they should have read the tea leaves. They make the decision on how to allocate resources. I think our double-A staff was trying to play in the big leagues and didn't know how to compete.

It sounds like we were never under consideration, but Cook is the type of player we need.

How long have we asked for a low post presence?

I agree with you on that point for sure.

I don't see anything good in ripping the kid.

I don't think people realize how difficult it is to convince a 17 year old to stay home for college. My daughter is a rising senior in high school. She thinks Wash U and SLU are great schools but she has no desire to stay here. She thinks Missouri is to close. Very few people in her circle of friends are even considering staying home. I don't blame them.

It is probably much easier to recruit outside of STL.

Agreed, regrettably.

We all knew the worst case scenario (finishing 2nd) was a very likely - if not the most likely possibility.

That said, the upside was worth the risk. You always take a shot at the local prodigy with family connections to the program and only back off when they tell you it's not happening.

I understand people want to assign blame - and Crews deserves some blame for the season they just had - but to say we should write off all local AAU talent or that Jayson or Justin screwed the program over by wasting their resources, that's just reactionary nonsense.

Justin wanted Jayson to go to SLU. He also respected his son's ability to make his own decision.

I suspect there was a significant period of time when Jayson envisioned himself going to SLU. Kids change their minds. The appeal of chasing a national title with his friend while playing for a HOF coach beat out the appeal of being a home town hero. I think there's a strong case to be made that SLU's dreadful 2014-15 cost them any realistic shot at Tatum, but on that note I think Duke's title run and their ability to make Jayson (and his buddy Giles) feel like Royalty was the decisive blow.

The only thing I can really fault Tatum/his family with is that they didn't inform the staff before the Peach Jam. If they had, I highly doubt we would have had 3 coaches at every one of this games even if we were recruiting other Eagles' players.

Between that and the leaked news about "SLU chatter", I don't think they handled this weekend very well.

Assuming SLU had a legit shot before Jayson spent 4 weeks room with Giles between Greece and the USA Camp in Colorado, I can't blame our staff for going all out (they probably could have done a little more here or there, but not sure it would have made a difference).

On to the next guy. It's not really a shot at Jayson, but I just don't care about him anymore. I kind of think that's how it will be for a lot of people around here once the excitement of the commitment wears off. He can talk all he wants about how he wants to represent the city but he went 800 miles away for school and won't be playing for anyone local in the NBA so it's hard to see him ever recognized as anything more than Beal or Lee. People know they're STL guys but they just don't really care.

The only thing I can really fault Tatum/his family with is that they didn't inform the staff before the Peach Jam. If they had, I highly doubt we would have had 3 coaches at every one of this games even if we were recruiting other Eagles' players.

Between that and the leaked news about "SLU chatter", I don't think they handled this weekend very well.

Assuming SLU had a legit shot before Jayson spent 4 weeks room with Giles between Greece and the USA Camp in Colorado, I can't blame our staff for going all out (they probably could have done a little more here or there, but not sure it would have made a difference).

On to the next guy. It's not really a shot at Jayson, but I just don't care about him anymore. I kind of think that's how it will be for a lot of people around here once the excitement of the commitment wears off. He can talk all he wants about how he wants to represent the city but he went 800 miles away for school and won't be playing for anyone local in the NBA so it's hard to see him ever recognized as anything more than Beal or Lee. People know they're STL guys but they just don't really care.

I guess family and being "homegrown" doesn't mean