Ford and Assistants

3Bill

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We ain't a state school, nor are we a "high major" program, nor will we ever be. You used the key term above: "arms race." You might recall that in the last real-world arms race, the loser went bankrupt and dissolved.

Maybe, somewhere down the line, a new locker room might climb up the list of priorities. Promoting it right out of the gate wasn't the best possible statement Ford could have made. (Which is, of course, just my opinion and may or may not be representative of other middle-aged, middle-class fans.)

-bonwich I am missing your optics, please explain

-as I see it, the new coach thinks a change in the locker room would help the program, i don't know who is paying for it or how much it will cost, but I don't see this statement or act dampening any enthusiasm that might be out there

-I was told during the season by an ADept staffer that the locker rooms were too small, which kind of amazed me given Rick's involvement in the building and I do remember Rick touting the classroom part, which seems to be going bye bye

Watching that video caused a couple thoughts to pop into my head:

1. Clearly that was T. Boone money buying that situation. That was much nicer than most pro teams.

2. We would have to give the team Lorenzini's to have enough room to replicate that situation.

3. I hope the 4 star players that Ford was getting to come there were coming due to his outstanding recruiting skills and not simply because they saw that locker room and said "I'm home!"

I'm thinking we have no official announcements of assistants because they were out 'cruitin'. At least that's what I hope. I'm sure Coach Ford has a short list of guys he knows he wants (within his new budget) and they are lined up. Maybe just maybe SLU is being smart for once working the angles.

So far we kept Nashida what's his stage name again?

I'm thinking we have no official announcements of assistants because they were out 'cruitin'. At least that's what I hope. I'm sure Coach Ford has a short list of guys he knows he wants (within his new budget) and they are lined up. Maybe just maybe SLU is being smart for once working the angles.

So far we kept Nashida what's his stage name again?

Final Boss?

Has there been any leak on how much we are paying Ford? Presumably we can find out when Oklahoma state makes its first payment to him right? I'm very curious to see what type of language was in his Oklahoma state contract about next employer. From my reading online there was not many restrictions so we shouldn't really be paying him much of anything, but I can't find the full contract yet.

Has there been any leak on how much we are paying Ford? Presumably we can find out when Oklahoma state makes its first payment to him right? I'm very curious to see what type of language was in his Oklahoma state contract about next employer. From my reading online there was not many restrictions so we shouldn't really be paying him much of anything, but I can't find the full contract yet.

Stu's radio interview speculated that the deal was 5 years in the $10M range but with the OSU dollars factored in. So he speculated SLU's contributions were back loaded.

Stu's radio interview speculated that the deal was 5 years in the $10M range but with the OSU dollars factored in. So he speculated SLU's contributions were back loaded.

Thanks.

And just to be safe, I sure hope there is a buyout clause!! Read the article I posted about Josh Pastner at Memphis without one!!

"Bailey works directly with the guards and played a key role in the development of Earl Pettis (A-10 Most Improved Player, All-Big 5), Ramon Galloway (two-time All-District and All-Atlantic 10) and Tyreek Duren (three-time All-Big 5, two-time All-Atlantic 10). La Salle ranked fourth nationally in three-point percentage at 40.6% in 2011-12 thanks in part to Bailey's instruction"

I don't know anything about Bailey so I don't have an opinion, but why did people think we were going to get a bunch of great assistants? We've been horrible the last two years and we hired a coach who was just fired. Assistants aren't exactly going to be eager to sign on with a bad team coached by a guy who could cost them their job if he's fired again. I just hope we can land one or two guys known for their X's and O's

From a quick read, it appears that Bailey works with guards. At least a few years ago, LaSalle's guard play was pretty good. 2-3 years ago, there apparently was a rumor that Bailey might become an assistant at DePaul, so a DePaul fan went over to a LaSalle board to get their take on Bailey. They seemed to suggest that it would be a loss for LaSalle to lose him.

Obviously La Salle's bio will be biased to Bailey but it certainly can't hurt to have an assistant who is good at developing players. We need a major talent upgrade and Ford can't do that in just one year so based on the little we know, this seems like a decent hire. We won't be getting any outstanding assistants so this is a good start. And as kshoe said, it's especially good with recruiting periods coming up.

I'm not expecting to have much reaction to any of his assistant hires. Most assistants out there, we're just not going to know a ton about them. I'm just hoping for the right mix of guys on his staff, good recruiters, good practice coaches. We won't know for a while if that's the case. But the sooner the staff fills out, the better.