SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

6 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Depends on how many underdogs advance in these P5/6 tournaments Cincy was bubble team right?  Those teams will knock them out.

Yep, we need to be rooting for chaos in conference tourneys.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TRN said:

Yep, we need to be rooting for chaos in conference tourneys.

All of these brackets likely aren’t taking into account the A10 bid stealer, and the growing potential for a PAC 12 bid stealer too.  If Indiana State gets in, I’d be surprised

N.C.State adding to the Chaos( again?)

How should we want American to play out??? South Florida and or FAU 

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Would we potentially have to wait for an Indiana St. NIT run, or could a hiring be announced if they’re not selected Sunday?

Good question.  You’d think a coach would be willing to bypass coaching the old team in the NIT.  The bad thing would be if someone coaches in it and they keep winning…. 😬

We know that May is an expert at slow walking the hiring process.  He did it with Ford until all the viable candidates were either gone or pulled their names because of all the time May was taking.  He probably wanted Ford along and dragged it out to make sure Ford was the only real one left - May probably did this because he was hearing mixed things about Ford from the fan base/donors.  A guy like May always gets his way because he knows how to manipulate the system for his benefit.  Hiring a D1 basketball coach is not like hiring a volleyball or soccer coach - you can slow walk that but not a D1 basketball coach.  Teams zero in quickly and grab their guy as soon as possible.  This idea that you have to wait until a team's season is over is nonsense.  Often the deal is done through a backdoor process.  I really hope May is not controlling this process and he has gotten his orders from others so he doesn't screw it up.

I want Indiana St to make the NCAA tournament.  I then want the ISU AD to hold a press conference where he has to state, "An Indiana St. man will coach Indiana St!" as he announces Matt Graves will coach the team in the tournament.

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I wonder what SMSU is up to with not announcing McCollum yet, I wonder if we, or others, are in his sandbox

McCollum hits me as the kind of guy that won't officially accept a gig until he team is done playing.  

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I went Indiana St to make the NCAA tournament.  I then want the ISU AD to hold a press conference where he has to state, "An Indiana St. man will coach Indiana St!" as he announces Matt Graves will coach the team in the tournament.

I am going to die with the prediction that it's Josh Schertz, it was always Josh Schertz and it will get done. I don't trust May as far as I can throw him (javelin is the best strategy), but I have to hope the fact that SLU fans have made enough noise that everyone else involved understands what fans are looking for and the gravity of this hire. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I am going to die with the prediction that it's Josh Schertz, it was always Josh Schertz and it will get done. I don't trust May as far as I can throw him (javelin is the best strategy), but I have to hope the fact that SLU fans have made enough noise that everyone else involved understands what fans are looking for and the gravity of this hire. 

Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man 

TheA_Bomb likes this

17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

And I have a feeling that this hire has the “assistance” of one or two major donors guiding it, like the Majerus hire.  We’ve seen rock bottom and have to ensure this hire doesn’t bring us there again.  

Worst case scenario with Schertz is he elevates the program and leaves in 3-4 years.  Then, we get the next version of him.

billikenfan05 likes this

1 minute ago, TRN said:

And I have a feeling that this hire has the “assistance” of one or two major donors guiding it, like the Majerus hire.  We’ve seen rock bottom and have to ensure this hire doesn’t bring us there again.  

Worst case scenario with Schertz is he elevates the program and leaves in 3-4 years.  Then, we get the next version of him.

Seems like much more of a Kalish hire in that respect. 

TRN likes this

Coaching Carousel Tracker and Candidate Thoughts

UofL-Targets per Norlander of CBS Sports, Baylor's Scott Drew, FAU's Dusty May, USF's Amir Abdur-Rahim and Indiana State's Josh Schertz

tOSU-per CBS Sports writers possible targets Bruce Pearl (Auburn), Mick Cronin (UCLA), Dusty May (FAU)

OSU- per Norlander targets Texas A&M's Buzz Williams (not sure why he’d leave an SEC school in fertile recruiting territory for this job), Drake's Darian DeVries and USF's Amir Abdur-Rahim

UW-rumored to be hiring D. Sprinkle but haven’t heard anything new on that lately and Kyle Smith (WSU) mentioned as a candidate and maybe Leon Rice of Boise St

Vandy-likely hiring Mack, Norlander also mentions Colgate coach Matt Langel, Princeton coach Mitch Henderson, and Indiana State coach Josh Schertz.

WVU- haven’t seen any names mentioned in association with this one, they have basketball history, rabid fanbase, in the toughest conference

Non P6 that matter to SLU due to region or status

SIUC- Norlander says he’s heard 10 names connected to this opening but didn’t write any of them. So who knows.

SMS- rumors are it’s McCollum

So looking at the above we can use it to analyze our candidate list.

• Josh Schertz - Indiana State: Top target at this time but also a candidate at numerous other schools that would be more attractive than SLU. But UofL fans would see it as a bad hire. We have to wait until Selection Sunday and possibly after the tournament and after some big school dominoes fall UofL, etc
  • Chris Mack – Looks like he’s headed to Vandy at this time but I wouldn’t put him out of the running at UW or tOSU.
  • Porter Moser – Says he’s staying put at OU.
  • Darian DeVries – Suspiciously quiet? But he has to be as he’s for sure in the NCAA tournament needs to focus. Would his son stay 1 more season or go pro? Probably going P6
  • Brian Wardle – Bradley, his name isn’t showing up in the coaching searches maybe because he’s only been in the NCAA or NIT first round (sound familiar?) he did finish first in the MVC last season. Could be fall back option #3. He reportedly makes $708,000.
  • Blake Ahearn - Memphis Grizzlies (assistant) seems to want the job, pushed by one prominent booster that may or may not have good salad dressing.
  • Mike Brey - Atlanta Hawks (assistant), resigned from ND after a bad season, had ND ranked 2nd in the ACC in 21-22, has been in the NCAA a lot with quite a few deep runs. I don’t hear him mentioned in any of the coaching searches so maybe there’s no competition for him.
  • Dustin Kerns - Appalachian State is always a feeder school to the SEC and southern ACC schools.  If Bruce Pearl gets poached look for Auburn to hire this guy. Or this could possibly be WVUs guy.
  • Bruce Weber – Retired, why? Just why?
  • Mark Byington - James Madison has been making a lot of good choices lately and they moved up in conference and still improved on the floor. Limited experience but intriguing up and comer.
  • Bryce Drew - Grand Canyon, family name that’s doing well at GCU that flamed out spectacularly at Vandy so maybe the mid-major level is his sweet spot?
  • Ben McCollum - Northwest Missouri State, all he does is win but can he do it with taller more athletic DI players that get paid in the NIL, transfer portal era? We don’t know.
  • Mike Morrell - UNC Asheville which is a great town kinda like Austin in that people from the north are moving there and slowly ruining it for everyone. Anyway, this guy is from the Shaka Smart coaching tree VCU then UT, and is doing well. Could be a solid up and comer, I know nothing about his system just the results and they’re pretty good.
  • Chester Frazier - Illinois (assistant) UI is a darkhorse final 4 team this year. That’s all I know.
  • Bucky McMillan – Samford small school with no history and this dude is fun. They press non-stop and this guy is from Birmingham, AL and never left. If dominoes fall and App St. coach moves on this guy is a candidate there for sure.
  • Jake Diebler - Ohio State (interim) doing pretty well but how would he do with guys he has to recruit?
  • Preston Spradlin - Morehead State has won the OVC and that’s all I know about this guy besides he’s from the Calipari tree and even worked with Cal on the Dominican Republic Staff so we can lockdown DR recruiting.
  • DeAndre Haynes - Marquette (assistant), Marq is doing really well and other Shaka guys have gone on to do well.
  • Chris Holtmann - Fired by Ohio State - DePaul
  • Dusty May - Florida Atlantic, I think he’s going to a big time school.  I don’t think this is a realistic option for SLU right now.
  • Pat Kelsey – Charleston locked him down with a big buyout so probably not realistic for SLU to pay Ford $10mil then pay the $6mil buyout for Kelsey. He’d be great but that money means he’s going P6 level.
  • Danny Sprinkle - Utah State only 1 year? Sorry USU, looks like UW but who knows may
  • Tom Crean – Retired just why?
  • Chris Carrawell - Duke (assistant), I heard he’s a Cardinals fan and met Willie McGee one time so we should lock him up now.
  • Chris Harriman - SLU (assistant), dig the accent but besides being with Majerus he’s been on the staff of some bad programs.
  • Cuonzo Martin – Retired, another retread who didn’t really get it done at his last stop plus I hate SPUMAC and SPUMAC adjacent things.
  • Joe Gallo – Merrimack come on man really?

Tier 1 Likely option: Schertz

Fall back options: Brey

Tier 2 options: Mike Morrel, Preston Spradlin, McCollum

My out of left field candidate Dave Smart former Carleton University (Canada) Head Coach now an assistant at TTU (which had a very good year in the B12) he was an 18 season HC. Carleton beat some good NCAA D1 teams on occasion.

https://texastech.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/dave-smart/3927

https://newsroom.carleton.ca/story/can-am-shootout-results/

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm fully with you here. I did think a guy like Holtmann was going to be a serious candidate as he seems like a typical May hire and a guy boosters could get behind. But with him off the board I just don't see any other scenario. Also maybe this is wishful thinking but the fans were right about Ford and I feel a lot of times after a fired coach, you kind of go in the opposite direction. Scherz seems like a very big opposite of Ford.

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'm fully with you here. I did think a guy like Holtmann was going to be a serious candidate as he seems like a typical May hire and a guy boosters could get behind. But with him off the board I just don't see any other scenario. Also maybe this is wishful thinking but the fans were right about Ford and I feel a lot of times after a fired coach, you kind of go in the opposite direction. Scherz seems like a very big opposite of Ford.

I think you know that I am a kwisatz haderach and as such I see many possible outcomes many terrible in nature. There is a path and we must tread carefully to achieve it.

6 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

Kevin slaten went on 15 minute angry rant saying Blake Ahearn is slu only option and noone should considered. 

Lol these guys will do anything for darling media access.