SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think there is definitely going to be mutual interest between Okie St. and Darian DeVries.

I said this earlier but in the span of a few weeks I’ve gone from thinking DeVries was beneath us to me thinking he probably views the SLU job as beneath him. Like YOU said earlier, it’s probably Drake or P5 for DeVries at this point. 

brianstl likes this

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I said this earlier but in the span of a few weeks I’ve gone from thinking DeVries was beneath us to me thinking he probably views the SLU job as beneath him. Like YOU said earlier, it’s probably Drake or P5 for DeVries at this point. 

#metoo

My concern is that following all of the changes in college basketball over the last few years - NIL, free agency and conference shuffling at the P6 level consolidating power - that the SLU job is not as attractive as it once was and as many SLU boosters think it is. Yes, we'll be able to throw some pretty good money around, but getting one mid-major coach to jump to another mid-major job (us) won't be easy. I wouldn't be shocked if we wind up having to dip into the low D1 ranks to get a coach ascending to the "mid-major" level.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, it can work if you get the right guy, but we just might not get a "name" coach.

34 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

The Iowa job seems tailor made for DeVries when McCaffrey gets fired or retires.

31 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I’m still not nearly as high on DeVries as some of the other guys mentioned so far.  It might be more of a fit at SLU thing.  I think he would win here and make tournaments, I just think he has a lower ceiling at SLU than some other guys would.  

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I’m still not nearly as high on DeVries as some of the other guys mentioned so far.  It might be more of a fit at SLU thing.  I think he would win here and make tournaments, I just think he has a lower ceiling at SLU than some other guys would.  

And I also think he'd be most likely to move up the second he gets the chance.  

Also, there could be another pool of candidates emerge soon - P6 coaches getting fired. I know the Ford experience is going to sour some folks, but I would keep an open mind - you never know who might become available over the next few days as team's have their season come to an end.

cgeldmacher likes this

Just now, ACE said:

Also, there could be another pool of candidates emerge soon - P6 coaches getting fired. I know the Ford experience is going to sour some folks, but I would keep an open mind - you never know who might become available over the next few days as team's have their season come to an end.

Yeah it's an interesting situation. Sounds like Porter is saying no. DeVries and Mack seem like they're shooting higher or waiting for a perfect fit. McCollum is likely off the board. I'm all for getting someone on board ASAP but if things fall apart with Schertz, we need to be patient and not panic on a Tom Crean type move. 

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yeah it's an interesting situation. Sounds like Porter is saying no. DeVries and Mack seem like they're shooting higher or waiting for a perfect fit. McCollum is likely off the board. I'm all for getting someone on board ASAP but if things fall apart with Schertz, we need to be patient and not panic on a Tom Crean type move. 

That's exactly the scenario where we end up with a clown. Patient, thorough, well-informed decision-making aren't exactly among our core competencies. 

2 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Pistol should edit the list as the day goes on.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Pistol needs to be editing it by the minute. 

I will edit the list as things become official. Rumors, no matter how solid, aren't official.

2 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

I think Brey is an assistant for Quinn Snyder in Atlanta. Teacher becomes the student kinda deal. He could bring that DeMatha / DMV pipeline directly westbound I-70. 

Edited, thanks.

2 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I'll add him.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

@Pistol might need to actually do his job to keep getting paid, or Mrs @Pistol will not be happy….

It's not my job she cares about. We have a 4-year-old who is now at 5+ days with strep throat and it's been a nightmare to deal with - not eating, not sleeping, up coughing all night, breaking out in rashes, maintaining a 100+ fever. Antibiotics seemed to work for a bit and then her symptoms returned. So when I have to head to my studio (basement corner) to hit record for a few hours, she's dealing with that (and a 7-year-old) solo. The timing for this couldn't be worse.

Lord Elrond likes this

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

I actually have serious misgivings about this name.

What would those be?

I don’t have those misgivings, but I can be swayed  Drew should have got the job last time.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

What would those be?

I don’t have those misgivings, but I can be swayed  Drew should have got the job last time.

Last time he moved up a level, he crashed HARD.

He also seems to be kind of a weirdo. Cycles through assistants quickly. Can sell a program but doesn't seem to build long-term relationships with players. I think he's a specific flavor and fits at certain places culturally (Valpo, GCU) that might not translate everywhere. Same for his brother - Baylor is the absolute perfect fit for him as the highest level program where he could thrive.

But Homer still lives in STL, right? Not surprising certain local media figures are pushing Bryce.

JMM28, brianstl and aj_arete like this

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

The next 2 weeks are going to test the strength of my marriage. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Wife and kids will be ignored a lot until we hire a coach.

You have to set these expectations during the courtship so they know what they're getting into. Same thing goes for gift giving don't go crazy early then they expect that forever. I should write a book.

@thetorch is dead on and I'm slightly afraid now of the outcome. Due to May still being in position. Yeah yeah he's not the one making the choice but he's the college athletics professional the one with the "connections" to agents, programs to give advice. I have zero confidence in his abilities. McCollum could be a fall back option if he's not locked up by SMS. A few key openings geographically close to SLU some better situated than us making this a dangerous game.  tOSU, DePaul, UofL, SMS, SIUC.  We could be 3rd or 4th in that pecking order.

41 minutes ago, ACE said:

My concern is that following all of the changes in college basketball over the last few years - NIL, free agency and conference shuffling at the P6 level consolidating power - that the SLU job is not as attractive as it once was and as many SLU boosters think it is. Yes, we'll be able to throw some pretty good money around, but getting one mid-major coach to jump to another mid-major job (us) won't be easy. I wouldn't be shocked if we wind up having to dip into the low D1 ranks to get a coach ascending to the "mid-major" level.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, it can work if you get the right guy, but we just might not get a "name" coach.

We don’t need a name coach. We just fired one. We need a good coach who has systems that work and can figure out what kind of players best fit his systems. 

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Last time he moved up a level, he crashed HARD.

He also seems to be kind of a weirdo. Cycles through assistants quickly. Can sell a program but doesn't seem to build long-term relationships with players. I think he's a specific flavor and fits at certain places culturally (Valpo, GCU) that might not translate everywhere. Same for his brother - Baylor is the absolute perfect fit for him as the highest level program where he could thrive.

But Homer still lives in STL, right? Not surprising certain local media figures are pushing Bryce.

Fair enough.  He wouldn’t be at the top of my list, but he wouldn’t be someone I would rule out either if stuff doesn’t work out with the top guys.  I think the best time for him to have got the SLU job would have been the last cycle.  I think it would have definitely worked then, but it seems at least from Stu’s tweet earlier today he wasn’t good enough for May.

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's not my job she cares about. We have a 4-year-old who is now at 5+ days with strep throat and it's been a nightmare to deal with - not eating, not sleeping, up coughing all night, breaking out in rashes, maintaining a 100+ fever. Antibiotics seemed to work for a bit and then her symptoms returned. So when I have to head to my studio (basement corner) to hit record for a few hours, she's dealing with that (and a 7-year-old) solo. The timing for this couldn't be worse.

Oh man.  That sucks.  MBM prayers for the 4 year old (and for the rest of the family's sanity).  As a parent, kids getting sick is a nightmare.  You do what you can, but the kid still feels miserable, so you feel miserable.

Lord Elrond likes this

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

From above who are realistically possible? Definition: They would have mutual interest.
Guys like Kelsey, Mays, Sprinkle, and DeVries are holding out for P6 jobs. They would view SLU as a lateral move not a step up. I think Mack falls into this group as well. 

Reminder:

2023 Salaries per some quick Google research:

Kelsey - $1.1 million

May - $1.25 million

Sprinkle - $900k

DeVries - $630k

Travis Ford - $2.34 million

All these guys would be adding at least a million to their salaries.  If they don't get P6 jobs, they'd be crazy to think that SLU is not a step up & jump at the chance for a million dollar+ raise.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

It’s a SLU basketball coaching search tradition. Local media types pushing the names of people with any connection to STL whatsoever…from STL, parents live/grew up there, the guy has eaten at an Imo’s or at a restaurant on The Hill before, knows a member of the local sports media, etc.

It’s really annoying, but it always happens. All we can do is hope that those people are not actually influencing anything.

Bizziken, TheBand and Pistol like this

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

It’s a SLU basketball coaching search tradition. Local media types pushing the names of people with any connection to STL whatsoever…from STL, parents live/grew up there, the guy has eaten at an Imo’s or at a restaurant on The Hill before, knows a member of the local sports media, etc.

It’s really annoying, but it always happens. All we can do is hope that those people are not actually influencing anything.

Don’t forget if they’re a Cards fan or have eaten Ted Drewes!

Probably not for us but under the radar excellent young coach - Ryan Ridder at UTM.   His father is a small college legend in FL, approaching 800 wins.   He coached at a JUCO and then at an HBCU school and did very well at both.   He has actually turned a dump like Tennessee-Martin into a winner.   Prediction he will be climbing the ranks somewhere soon.