Transfers - 2024

ACE

27 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

On Mongo Mike...The computer gives a thumbs up....Even though most of the numbers don't compute. The only stat on his slash line that the computer thinks is valid is the 3P shooting...scoring him at a B+ and trending up.  The rest of the slash is S3 (small sample size).  The computer thinks that M2 could benefit from the CJS system by improving his 2P shooting which even with a small sample size is below average. It thinks the shot selection could push his 2P average up by having him shoot closer to the rim. By making that small change , he could become an A or B  2P shooter.

The problem with just looking at the raw data when it is not a full sample size is that it just isn't meaningful...ie volatile (both up and down).   @Bilzz made an interesting point on Kent(ISU)in an above post.  Talking about how 2 years ago his numbers weren't impressive.   The computer would argue that Kent's numbers weren't impressive not because the percentages were low but that there just weren't enough shots taken anywhere on the slash line to indicate what type player he was.  Low data rates  don't indicate good or bad ...they indicate an unknown. When you choose an unknown, it can go either way.  With ISU , they had 5 starting  unknowns.  CJS strength is finding players who fit and can adapt to his system. Because you are dealing with unknowns, it won't always work out but in Schertz case, he has a pretty good record of evaluating talent for his system.

After seeing Brian's post I'm curious what the computer thinks of Camren Hunter.

Another player I'd love to see run through Wiz's computer is Seydou Traore. Let me preface this by saying I don't think he's coming to SLU. I believe I read somewhere that SLU had interest but not sure it's mutual. 3P shooting is rough but would hope that improves under a Schertz system (just a freshman).  I really like this kid: 6'7 guard who averaged 12 points 8 rebounds 2 assists 2 steals and 1 block per a game as a freshman for Manhattan.

Seydou Traore College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

After seeing Brian's post I'm curious what the computer thinks of Camren Hunter.

Another player I'd love to see run through Wiz's computer is Seydou Traore. Let me preface this by saying I don't think he's coming to SLU. I believe I read somewhere that SLU had interest but not sure it's mutual. 3P shooting is rough but would hope that improves under a Schertz system (just a freshman).  I really like this kid: 6'7 guard who averaged 12 points 8 rebounds 2 assists 2 steals and 1 block per a game as a freshman for Manhattan.

Seydou Traore College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

On 4/24/2024 at 8:51 AM, The Wiz said:

A quick review on upcoming player visits as seen by the computer.  The computer is looking to see if these players are Schertz type/style players.  A side note...no review on Dotzler as he is an S3.(small sample size...only 4 min/gm )

nm=not meaningful

S3...small sample size

.....................mpg.........FG%.....2P%.....3P%....FT%...Reb...Fits Schertz style....

Sheffield.....30.9.........nm........B+........A..........A.......6.1..........Yes...no FG% because he is basically a 3 pt shooter...2P% not a full sample size but meaningful...good rebounder

Anya.............27.5.........nm........C.........S3........F-.......7.4.....Questionable...Very good rebounder...average 2P shooter...poor FT shooter...played only 2/3 of a season -injury. Could be playable if he improves his 2P shooting a few points.

Hunter..........34...........D...........D+.......F+........A+......5.....He likes apple pie when not shooting  FTs.

As you can see, I posted a review on Hunter a few days ago. The computer was not kind to Hunter.  One of the reasons it was brutal is because  unlike many others he has a full set of data.  And unlike S3 players(small size sample) it is much harder to turn these players around in terms of improving the data set(he actually declined in a number of areas from Fr to Soph) and it is also harder to fit them into a system.. on a positive note , he did get an A- on steals which was unfortunately cancelled out by TOs (F ).

Computer bottom line on Hunter....Lots of points (15+ppg...hero ball) and lots of TOs on a poor team 9-22...sitting out last year for personal reasons and then starting in a new place (will be rusty coming out of the box) computer says best match is ....CTF.   The computer labels this player as a ...PROJECT saying in order for CJS to work his magic, he may have to borrow The Wiz's wand.

Traore...I haven't seen anything about him showing interest in SLU but this would be a nice get.  While on the surface he is not the typical CJS player he would be able to fit into his system.  The slash looks like this ..........C+ (2P) / F- (3P) / A+ (FT).  While this doesn't look spectacular there are some other key stats...ie Rebs...78th ITN...Stls and Blks...both A.   So basically,  rebound and defense with a focus on 2P shooting...While showing a C+ average inside the arc he only needed 4 more 2PM (out of 215 att) to rise up to a B+ CJS worthy player.

Bottom line...if you can get him...get him

Thanks, @The Wiz

Apologies, I missed your Hunter grades from a few days ago. Had a feeling they wouldn’t be great. 

As for Traore, when I first looked at his numbers he seemed like the kind of player that would be a great complimentary piece in our starting lineup because of his defense and rebounding (as you mention above), with a focus on baskets close to the rim in the cut-heavy Schertz offense. The hope being he’s still young and the staff/the system could help improve his 3P%. He reminded me a little of Goodwin. But alas, I don’t see him joining team 314. 

Rowdy Roddie Anderson, CA kid with stops at UCSD and then Boise St.  Started most games the last 2 seasons, his production took a hit transferring from Big West into Mountain West, maybe this is a depth piece or someone that could challenge for a starting role?  

14 pts vs UC in a NCAA play in game.  2.6 steal % (1.2per game) is pretty good.

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Rowdy Roddie Anderson, CA kid with stops at UCSD and then Boise St.  Started most games the last 2 seasons, his production took a hit transferring from Big West into Mountain West, maybe this is a depth piece or someone that could challenge for a starting role?  

14 pts vs UC in a NCAA play in game.  2.6 steals per game is pretty good.

The kid was the starting point guard on an NCAA tournament team and will immediately be the best defender on the team. He wasn’t a great fit offensively in the slowdown Boise offense.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The kid was the starting point guard on an NCAA tournament team and will immediately be the best defender on the team. He wasn’t a great fit offensively in the slowdown Boise offense.

Yeah there are some flaws in his game, but we're not going to get the perfect player. He is an experienced player and yes, I read the same thing, that he plays good defense, is very athletic and wants to push tempo - which Schertz wants to do, Boise wants to do the opposite. He likely would be a much better fit here.

CenHudDude and brianstl like this

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I'm not too familiar with Boise St's offense but looking at Ken Pom they were 323rd in possession length so yes they slowed it down but were still effective ranked at 63rd Adj Eff. They were very good on D at 29th adj Eff.  Roddie as the PG was  6th in % on the team in Possessions used. Comparing that to ISU last year Avila was #1 in % of possession used and the PG Larry was 5th.  So maybe that lines up with how Schertz runs the offense. The ball doesn't run through a traditional PG.  

I'm pro Roddie.  6'3 Jr to be with 2 years starting experience to include one in the toughest mid-major conference last year and a game in the NCAA tournament.

50 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

14 pts vs UC in a NCAA play in game.  2.6 steal % (1.2per game) is pretty good.

Big West is basically a conference with U of California Schools in it. UCSD is at San Diego and is located at sea level. Most UC schools are not located at high altitudes over the sea. Mountain West is a conference of mountain located schools, Boise is not very high at 2700 feet over the sea. But just this  level of altitude over sea level can produce 8-9% decrease in performance to players transferring from sea level. Remember that other schools in Mountain West can be located both at higher or lower altitudes than Boise.

If he transfers to a sea level school, with few other schools high above sea level in the conference, his performance should increase, just because he has more oxygen readily available.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Big West is basically a conference with U of California Schools in it. UCSD is at San Diego and is located at sea level. Most UC schools are not located at high altitudes over the sea. Mountain West is a conference of mountain located schools, Boise is not very high at 2700 feet over the sea. But just this  level of altitude over sea level can produce 8-9% decrease in performance to players transferring from sea level. Remember that other schools in Mountain West can be located both at higher or lower altitudes than Boise.

If he transfers to a sea level school, with few other schools high above sea level in the conference, his performance should increase, just because he has more oxygen readily available.

This is analysis you won't find anywhere else. Living in Bogota at about 8,612' above sea level, about 3,300 higher than Denver, I felt this change. It took me a good month to acclimatize and I'm like in amazing shape. If you leave for just a couple of days, you lose the acclimation.  

But probably the change in offensive styles contributed more. Or perhaps ice cubes. Is Boise St on well water? Basically the wild west.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

This is analysis you won't find anywhere else. Living in Bogota at about 8,612' above sea level, about 3,300 higher than Denver, I felt this change. It took me a good month to acclimatize and I'm like in amazing shape. If you leave for just a couple of days, you lose the acclimation.  

But probably the change is offensive styles contributed more. Or perhaps ice cubes. Is Boise St on well water? Basically the wild west.

As you mention,  it takes time to acclimatize to high altitude. Mind you that acclimatizing to the level of playing Basketball is not the same as to acclimatizing adequately to walk around a city without shortness of breath. Playing basketball in the Mountain West conference requires significant changes of altitude over short periods of time. Let's look into this. Two of the schools in this conference (UCSD and Fresno State both in CA) are at sea level. UNLV and Boise State are not at a very high elevation (2001 feet and 2700 feet over sea level respectively). U of Nevada is at 4505 feet; CO St. is at 4982 feet; UT State is at 4535 feet; U of NM is at 5312 feet; AF Academy is at 5430 feet; and U of Wyoming is at 7165 ft.

As it can be seen clearly playing basketball in this conference presents significant issues for players who have spent most of their lives a low elevation like probably Anderson did. Only two schools in this conference are at sea level. Two schools are at similar and relatively low levels of altitude. The rest of the schools are located at significantly higher elevations. Playing conference games in this conference may have been very difficult for Anderson.

Another factor you may not be aware of is that acclimatization to high altitudes occurs at two different levels and involve two different types of adaptations. There is an initial phase which basically requires making a lot of red cells and dumping them into circulation. This is the one you refer to as taking maybe a month maybe less depending on altitude. The second long lasting phase takes a long time and uses a more complex mechanism. It requires for the body to produce larger red cells with more hemoglobin in them not just a lot more regular sized red cells. This is what happens to people who live permanently in these high over sea level cities, this takes time and does not change rapidly during a visit to a sea level city.

Just imagine this Anderson kid playing one day at San Diego and 3 or four days later playing at Larramie, WY, coming from a home base at 2700 feet high. Not easy to do, to say the least, 

billikenbill likes this

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

He's not good offensively no matter the system. Great defender though.

watching indiana state in the NIT, i got the impression shertz was all about scoring and dared his opponent to outscore them.   defense was secondary.   this is the one aspect of shertz that concerns me.   

but i remember a billiken club meeting with soderberg where he said, he valued defense first and offense was secondary.   this his offense slowed down the pace.   i got the impression it was an effort to "rest" his team.   i didnt like that at all. 

before i die, i want to see a billiken team that goes all out on both ends.   it can be done.   plenty of teams play hard on both ends.   remember the Huggins cincy teams in our Conference USA days.   our how about shaka's VCU teams playing Havoc defense and their defense would lead to fast break opportunities.   of course there was the tark UNLV days, or the Loyola Marymount days.   it can be done.   and if it comes together, it will be glorious and Chaifetz will become the hottest sports ticket in St. Louis.  

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Considering the success Schertz had with Julian Larry, a 6-3 defensive-minded point guard who didn't produce much on offense until last year, coach is sticking with that blueprint.  Dotzler and Anderson appear to be from the same mold.  If it ain't broke, why fix it?

big difference offensively between Larry and Roddie still

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

big difference offensively between Larry and Roddie still

Yes....The computer didn't like Hunter and doesn't like Anderson. These are players that have full sample sizes and don't show up well overall or as a match for the Schertz system. The difference in a Julian Larry is that his first  3 years were all small sample sizes.  Each sample increased AND improved every year so that when he reached his 4th year with a full sample size, it should not have been a surprise that he had great numbers. 

Bottom line...It is better to have small and improving sample sizes than a full size bad sample.  Full sample sizes are harder to fix.

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

watching indiana state in the NIT, i got the impression shertz was all about scoring and dared his opponent to outscore them.   defense was secondary.   this is the one aspect of shertz that concerns me.   

but i remember a billiken club meeting with soderberg where he said, he valued defense first and offense was secondary.   this his offense slowed down the pace.   i got the impression it was an effort to "rest" his team.   i didnt like that at all. 

before i die, i want to see a billiken team that goes all out on both ends.   it can be done.   plenty of teams play hard on both ends.   remember the Huggins cincy teams in our Conference USA days.   our how about shaka's VCU teams playing Havoc defense and their defense would lead to fast break opportunities.   of course there was the tark UNLV days, or the Loyola Marymount days.   it can be done.   and if it comes together, it will be glorious and Chaifetz will become the hottest sports ticket in St. Louis.  

The 11-12 team at minimum did. I’d also throw in the 12-13 and 13-14. The pace was slow and methodical but they worked their tails offf to get a good shot.

Ford’s 18-19 team absolutely did also, and I’d throw in his next couple teams as well. Just because they were bad on offense doesn’t mean they weren’t playing hard on that end