Transfers - 2024

ACE

3 minutes ago, Zink said:

This guy looks like he'll be a stud... would be wild to land him. Too perfect tbh.

Yeah. Has Musselman at USC written all over him. But he’s basically Jayson Kent, with more potential 

Zink likes this

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one on this forum knows the real numbers but our NIL pot has taken a hit with Jimerson, Avila and Swope signings.  How many big ticket players can we afford?  With the names of two potential recruits floating around this board, it appears we are working on the edges of the pot.

Players not high in their previous school's rotations, or not in the rotation at all, won't command six figure NIL packages.

Speaking of the NIL money: In todays article about Missouri looking at the Memphis AD they mentioned that Fed Ex has given their NIL 25 million. Sure would be nice if one of our corporate giants would step up with anything close to this. 

pakapablo likes this

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

No one on this forum knows the real numbers but our NIL pot has taken a hit with Jimerson, Avila and Swope signings.  How many big ticket players can we afford?  With the names of two potential recruits floating around this board, it appears we are working on the edges of the pot.

Players not high in their previous school's rotations, or not in the rotation at all, won't command six figure NIL packages.

However much money the programs highest givers want to funnel to key players. The only pot is the BVF but the impact players are going to be guys funded directly by names like Chaifetz, Novelly, Bommarito etc. 

JohnnyJumpUp and thetorch like this

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is small time thinking.  TheOne was on here saying 3-4 Indiana State starters plus Jimerson.  We only landed 2 Indiana State guys, so I take that as meaning we'd still have potential NIL funds for the right starting caliber players that the big fish are on board with.

JMM28, thetorch and stmdragons like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

We have the money. No worries.

2 hours ago, willie said:

Speaking of the NIL money: In todays article about Missouri looking at the Memphis AD they mentioned that Fed Ex has given their NIL 25 million. Sure would be nice if one of our corporate giants would step up with anything close to this. 

I wonder if that is for football and basketball or did it say it was just for their basketball program?  Also, was it a yearly donation of $25m or a one time donation that will have to be spread over several years.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is small time thinking.  TheOne was on here saying 3-4 Indiana State starters plus Jimerson.  We only landed 2 Indiana State guys, so I take that as meaning we'd still have potential NIL funds for the right starting caliber players that the big fish are on board with.

Today's announcement of Dotzler kind of goes with the flow of what I am saying.  He won't break the bank.  Sure there is BVF left but the % already spent on the big three is unknown, except to a very small number of people. 

NIL has expanded to several facets.  You have the Pay for Play pot (pretty much BVF), the Billiken Exchange where you can pretty much do what you want (and which can have a NIL piece in it) and then somewhat associated with that, individual NIL deals such as Jimerson's clothing deal last season and  Avila's Chicago White Sox deal, plus the expected googles deal he is reportedly working on.

This has been an expensive year for Billiken Sports.  You have the Ford and staff buyouts, the salary for Schertz plus his expanded staff, and then the BVF.  Individual sponsors going heavy into the Exchange or other avenues are certainly there also. 

59 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I wonder if that is for football and basketball or did it say it was just for their basketball program?  Also, was it a yearly donation of $25m or a one time donation that will have to be spread over several years.

5 years, $5 million total per year, for football, men's and women's basketball plus selected other women's sports.

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

5 years, $5 million total per year, for football, men's and women's basketball plus selected other women's sports.

Still a great donation, but not nearly as good as it sounded at first.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Today's announcement of Dotzler kind of goes with the flow of what I am saying.  He won't break the bank.  Sure there is BVF left but the % already spent on the big three is unknown, except to a very small number of people. 

NIL has expanded to several facets.  You have the Pay for Play pot (pretty much BVF), the Billiken Exchange where you can pretty much do what you want (and which can have a NIL piece in it) and then somewhat associated with that, individual NIL deals such as Jimerson's clothing deal last season and  Avila's Chicago White Sox deal, plus the expected googles deal he is reportedly working on.

This has been an expensive year for Billiken Sports.  You have the Ford and staff buyouts, the salary for Schertz plus his expanded staff, and then the BVF.  Individual sponsors going heavy into the Exchange or other avenues are certainly there also. 

Yep, and I'm fine with anyone spending big $$$ to enhance Billikens basketball.  I don't care how the SLU AD budget is being balanced.  That is someone else's problem.  I want to see fast-paced, team-oriented, winning basketball, and I think that is exactly what we will get. 

Getting back to transfers:  I know nothing about him, but 6’10”  forward Yacine Toumi, has entered the portal as a grad transfer from Evansville (is Turnbull his replacement?). I’m sure Coach Schertz is already on him if he thinks this is someone he needs.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I didn't get the excitement around Hunter last season and don't get it this season.  I must be missing something.

6’3” guards with two years of eligibility that have averaged 17, 5, and 4 at the Division 1 level don’t really grow on trees. There’s a reason a lot of big programs were/are interested. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

6’3” guards with two years of eligibility that have averaged 17, 5, and 4 at the Division 1 level don’t really grow on trees. There’s a reason a lot of big programs were/are interested. 

He wasn’t efficient, was bad defensively, put his number up on a bad team and against the 25th worst schedule in the country.

thetorch likes this

11 hours ago, brianstl said:

He wasn’t efficient, was bad defensively, put his number up on a bad team and against the 25th worst schedule in the country.

Hard to be efficient on a terrible team. He seems like exactly the type of player HCJS has turned into a stud in the past.  Again, big guards that can score, rebound, and pass don’t grow on trees.   If Schertz wants him I’m all in.