GDT: SLU v. Saint Joseph's

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Majerus's teams didn't have to score much because they controlled the tempo.  His best teams were actually really good on the offensive end.  The 11-12 Billikens were great defensively ranking 12th in Pomeroy's adjusted efficiency ratings and ranked a strong 34th in the adjusted offensive efficiency ratings.  That team was a much better team on the offensive end than this season's which ranks 87th in the adjusted offensive efficiency ratings

No doubt.  There were also a lot of players on Majerus teams who could pass the ball, from small to big.  They didn't just suddenly develop that skill when they got to SLU.  It was reflected in their high school numbers.  The only guy we have with good assist numbers before he got here is Medley.

Majerus was basically doing the basketball equivalent of Moneyball player evaluations.  Wise men reduce the amount of coaching that they have to do so they can laser focus on what's important.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Majerus’ teams also were in the 35 second shot clock era. It was a very different paced time in college basketball. He obviously was still a masterful defensive tactician, and would have still put out great defenses in this shorter clock world. 

Beat me to it. Burned a lot of 35 second shot clocks. I think the reset was 30 but could be wrong about that.

23 minutes ago, willie said:

This might not be rocket science but I thought the team {Ford} did a good job at the end of the game. With 7+ seconds left he set his defense up at half court trying to take away the long pass. He had  Jimmer foul not giving up the 3. He set up an inbounds play and got the ball to his free throw shooters. For a man who we say can't coach he didn't screw it up. 

I noticed all of that. And we were discussing the foul/no foul thing in our section. I contended fouling is a good strategy but most coaches seem to not want to do it and I didn't think Ford would.

3 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I noticed all of that. And we were discussing the foul/no foul thing in our section. I contended fouling is a good strategy but most coaches seem to not want to do it and I didn't think Ford would.

Honestly, with how that kid was shooting the ball, in the moment I know I was so happy we fouled despite being largely torn on which direction to go on that debate. Even if things had gone differently, in the moment I felt like that was what I wanted us to do, so it would have been unfair for me to question the strategy if the result didn't go our way. The bottom line is we made every play we needed to late, so that was an earned win even if Saint Joseph's had some of the most baffling coaching/scouting I have ever witnessed.

6 hours ago, crymdg2 said:

He hit a 3 and that's what I needed for BINGO!!

I am curious.  How did the bingo work and what were the prizes?

3 hours ago, thunderdan said:

Yeah, there were tons of youth basketball teams. Some of these teams had 30 uniformed kids. That’s a deep bench!

These are the type of giveaways I would like to see more of.  You never know what young basketball interested kid you are going to hook with a good experience at a game.  Similarly with the pink out game on the women's side.

33 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

These are the type of giveaways I would like to see more of.  You never know what young basketball interested kid you are going to hook with a good experience at a game.  Similarly with the pink out game on the women's side.

I agree to a point. I want them to be offering heavily discounted group tickets though, or include a shirt with the tickets. Was not a fan of all the red, but I get it. If we're giving away tix, I'd rather see kids get in free for wearing blue or something like that.

3 hours ago, Dr Bird said:

While I would LOVE to have Gibby back, if he decides to do a grad transfer to a P5 to experience the NCAA, I would not begrudge him at all.  He's given SLU everything he has. 

I’d say TFord has done a good job in a short time to help Ezewiro elevate his game. Ford told Ez to lose 65 lbs, and he did. Ez’s stats this year are far better than anything he did with LSU or Georgetown, and TFord is part of the reason.

VeniceMenace likes this

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

Every square was a game event (Jimerson 3 pointer, Dalger offensive rebound, etc). If you turned your bingo in to the table in the concourse they gave you a couple cups with beads and one of those cheap blue #18 jerseys. Was something to pay attention to in the first half when we were down 20.

TheA_Bomb likes this

2 hours ago, willie said:

This might not be rocket science but I thought the team {Ford} did a good job at the end of the game. With 7+ seconds left he set his defense up at half court trying to take away the long pass. He had  Jimmer foul not giving up the 3. He set up an inbounds play and got the ball to his free throw shooters. For a man who we say can't coach he didn't screw it up. 

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile?

Old guy likes this

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I agree to a point. I want them to be offering heavily discounted group tickets though, or include a shirt with the tickets. Was not a fan of all the red, but I get it. If we're giving away tix, I'd rather see kids get in free for wearing blue or something like that.

We're in the same ballpark.  For instance, instead of giving season ticket holders and SLU staff 6 tickets each to some games, give them 4 and use the remainder for different youth basketball teams throughout the year. Heck, maybe just create a semi-devoted section of 30 - 40 seats for different youth programs all year. "The Future Blue Crew."  Put them upstairs behind the basket, and then during games where the students don't show up - let the kids come down like last night.

I agree the shirts would be nice. Just don't know how much this increases the cost (as these would likely be different sizes than the college student shirts).  If they made them, I would suggest making them without anything that could be dated (e.g., year or player name).  So you just have a closet full of generic shirts to make a kid's day.

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

MM needs to play as more of a SG than a PG. Not even a CG really. He's better without the ball and moving around. 

Ive been hard on MM, because I think he does a lot of nothing most of the time he is in, but last night was a good sign. 

Didn’t play like ha a bad back or concussion last night- hope he stays healthy

7 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

We're in the same ballpark.  For instance, instead of giving season ticket holders and SLU staff 6 tickets each to some games, give them 4 and use the remainder for different youth basketball teams throughout the year. Heck, maybe just create a semi-devoted section of 30 - 40 seats for different youth programs all year. "The Future Blue Crew."  Put them upstairs behind the basket, and then during games where the students don't show up - let the kids come down like last night.

I agree the shirts would be nice. Just don't know how much this increases the cost (as these would likely be different sizes than the college student shirts).  If they made them, I would suggest making them without anything that could be dated (e.g., year or player name).  So you just have a closet full of generic shirts to make a kid's day.

It’s relatively easy to get a tshirt printing company to slap their logo on the back and call it even. Granted I’m not privy to any agreements that might prohibit them from using random screenprinters(perhaps they have an exclusive contract). 

billiken_roy likes this

6 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Is it worth trying to sell the tickets to youth groups as part of a fundraiser? Give them to youth groups to sell per normal price, but give say 20% of the purchase price on every ticket sold to the youth group who sells it? Someone who buys a ticket is more likely to show up (and maybe pay for parking, maybe buy concessions) than just giving the free tickets. Just a thought.

14 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Giving us tix 3 days before the game is silly.  I can't give my own tix away this year what the heck am I going do with 6 more poor location seats.  No problem with flooding the youth groups with free tix - I like seeing the place somewhat full.

14 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Is it worth trying to sell the tickets to youth groups as part of a fundraiser? Give them to youth groups to sell per normal price, but give say 20% of the purchase price on every ticket sold to the youth group who sells it? Someone who buys a ticket is more likely to show up (and maybe pay for parking, maybe buy concessions) than just giving the free tickets. Just a thought.

Everybody will buy a pizza or candy bar but not everyone is interested in a Billiken tix.  Fundraisers have to have a broad appeal

-perhaps he was at an NCAA meeting but I didn't CMay at the game

-with about 5.40 left in first half CFord asked Sincere to go in the game and Sincere didn't play again, I hope bringing him back when after the game we have until Tuesday to play again made sense as has been said every decision should be made with winning the conf tourney at the forefront

-GibJim, what a game

-great to see Doc at the game, he was into it

-let's see what CGrant and the Flyers have in store

4 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-with about 5.40 left in first half CFord asked Sincere to go in the game and Sincere didn't play again, I hope bringing him back when after the game we have until Tuesday to play again made sense as has been said every decision should be made with winning the conf tourney at the forefront

-GibJim, what a game

Agree with the focus on the tournament. If he's not ready let him get ready. Maybe that's what the possibile altercation was about? Just speculation, he's pushing it to win now to ease the pressure on him.  But winning now is too late for an at large bid. I guess it could help A10 tournament seeding. Once again short term thinking contrary to long term goals.

20 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

It was sort of fun but distracting as a fan.  You had to match up 24 game events (plus a free space ) on the card with actual events on the floor.  I memorized the card events and checked them off as they happened.   But they were a few bumps in the game.   I needed a time out by St. J in the first half...I initially  missed it as announcer Gus called the St. J TO  an official TO.  Fortunately, I found  that one on the scoreboard.  I needed a steal by Hughes...which I located on a live stat sheet(not an obvious steal)...And finally, I had to get an "official scorer" for my "buzzer beater " answer.   SLU claimed there was no buzzer beater at the end of the half.  I asked them what a buzzer beater was.  They said when the buzzer goes off during a shot.  I said that happened  when the 30 sec clock ran out. They went into a huddle and then gave me a jersey.    Soon they will need instant replay for Billiken Bingo.

Lord Elrond likes this

2 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-GibJim, what a game

Ford rushing Parker back so soon was a sign of desperation.   It showed on his face through most of the game until it looked like we were going to close the gap and ultimately win

19 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

I love the idea of a Junior Student Section.  Dre could get them riled up doing chants and other crazy stuff.