2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

6 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Mack remains my top choice for much of the reasons stated above. Will he cost a ton? Yeah, but it's not my money so what do I care? The issue isn't that Ford is getting paid $2.5M it is that he is getting paid $2.5M to produce unacceptable results.

A crowd average increase of 3000 makes up 1.5m.  That may be the difference between Ford and Mack

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ford is maintained I'm going to have some free time next year. Maybe even win my fantasy baseball league because I'll have time to study.

thatskablamo likes this

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

A crowd average increase of 3000 makes up 1.5m.  That may be the difference between Ford and Mack

Big assumption on my part but I would assume if we hired Mack at an annual well above Ford's, it wouldn't impact NIL funds. Meaning, we have the money to pay Mack and sufficiently fund NIL still. Not sure which whales will be subsidizing the coach's salary and funding NIL but one concern I could potentially see is Mack bringing in some bigtime recruits (i.e. 4 star recruits) given his track record but BVF not having the funds to pay them.  However, I'm not sure a guy like Mack signs on the dotted line unless he is given assurances that BVF will be well stocked.

Adman likes this

6 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Big assumption on my part but I would assume if we hired Mack at an annual well above Ford's, it wouldn't impact NIL funds. Meaning, we have the money to pay Mack and sufficiently fund NIL still. Not sure which whales will be subsidizing the coach's salary and funding NIL but one concern I could potentially see is Mack bringing in some bigtime recruits (i.e. 4 star recruits) given his track record but BVF not having the funds to pay them.  However, I'm not sure a guy like Mack signs on the dotted line unless he is given assurances that BVF will be well stocked.

I still have no clue what the current landscape is( what players go for)but with our NIL currently I don't know if we can bring in more than 1 or 2 4* a class. I still think we will have to lean on Portal players who are leveling up, or average MM players and hope someone like Mack or whoever can rely on coaching to make them better.  

Maybe a splashy hire will get NIL over the 1m mark, not too far from that. 

10 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

That's all part of the hiring process.  I need $x amount to be successful if I accept will I get it? Yes/No

No different than a new coach wanting to draft a QB.

Or a new competent AD firing a bum coach day 1. To get their guy.

This is why alignment of all the parts is important they must all work together.

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I think our NIL budget is pretty competitive. I think our NIL strategy is a nightmare

The amounts some of these guys got this year is astonishingly terrible scouting. Thats on the coaching staff for blowing donors NIL money. 

7 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The amounts some of these guys got this year is astonishingly terrible scouting. Thats on the coaching staff for blowing donors NIL money. 

I wonder if the 750k is what we paid out or the total the NIL had.   Hoping not all the 750k was used and we have some to carry over to next year  

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I wonder if the 750k is what we paid out or the total the NIL had.   Hoping not all the 750k was used and we have some to carry over to next year  

I believe SLU did not spend all of their NIL for this year, but 750k is for this next year. 

wgstl and gabriel like this

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Sorry if I missed this but where did the number 750k come from?

3 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Nah didn't they fire him during a scandal or something? 

Edit: Yep, just looked it up.

Getting caught up in a scandal is like flaming out in my mind.  Wgstl gave a good reasoning argument.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Getting caught up in a scandal is like flaming out in my mind.  Wgstl gave a good reasoning argument.

-wasn't he being extorted by an assistant?  okay his fault for hiring him but he can coach

4 hours ago, Bizziken said:

It's not just Dayton and VCU though, it's against ANY good team. I did this before the season, and have updated it so far this year.

SLU vs Top 4 A-10 opponents, including the A-10 Conference Tournament (Regular Season record in parentheses):

2016-17: 0-5 (0-5)

2017-18: 1-5 (1-4)

2018-19: 4-4 (1-4)

2019-20: 2-2 (2-2)

2020-21: 3-2 (2-1)

2021-22: 3-5 (2-4)

2022-23: 1-5 (1-4)

2023-24: 0-7 (0-7)

TOTAL RECORD: 14-35 (9-31)

TOTAL RECORD (factoring 16-17 out): 14-30 (9-26)

TOTAL RECORD (factoring 16-17 out, 19-20 COVID out, 20-21 COVID out): 9-26 (5-23)

-great analysis and shows the terrible results, thank you for this, tells the tale as clearly as it can

-Frank won't like to see this

F... Ford, May and anyone else who complaints of attendance at mid-week games, this town likes basketball and wants SLU to be good...the old fans remember the huge crowds when the teams were good.  Here are some attendance highlights from the 1994 season.  These were fun games and hot tickets.

Date Day of Week Attendance Opponent
2/23 Tuesday 18,411 Cincinnati
2/19 Friday 18,033 UAB
2/9 Tuesday 16,453 Iowa St
2/6 Saturday 17,209 Depaul
2/2 Tuesday 14,791 Dayton
1/26 Wednesday 18,158 Marquette
1/11 Tuesday 18,073 Memphis St.
12/30 Thursday 17,117 SUIC

15 minutes ago, SLU-Geo said:

F... Ford, May and anyone else who complaints of attendance at mid-week games, this town likes basketball and wants SLU to be good...the old fans remember the huge crowds when the teams were good.  Here are some attendance highlights from the 1994 season.  These were fun games and hot tickets.

2/19 Friday 18,033 UAB

The Chaifetz isn't big enough for the Spoonball era.

73Billiken likes this

13 hours ago, SLU-Geo said:

2/19 Friday 18,033 UAB

I was just a young pup then, a freshman.  Not a care in the world.  Totally oblivious to the hellish, tortuous emotional roller coaster this program would put me/us through.

JMM28 likes this

3 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I was just a young pup then, a freshman.  Not a care in the world.  Totally oblivious to the hellish, tortuous emotional roller coaster this program would put me/us through.

When you're driving down Vandeventer in a convertible Mazda Miata the world is your oyster 

13 hours ago, SLU-Geo said:

2/19 Friday 18,033 UAB

A few things have changed (for better or worse, that’s up to you), but some seismic shifts in the way we consume sports since those days. Most SLU games are televised now - you can watch from the comfort of your own home without worrying about games being blacked-out. On the economy of scale side, when SLU brought an arena to campus, they probably had the mindset where managing, building, etc. a 20,000 seat arena was financially irresponsible. As an intern in the University comms dept in the summer of 2003, I saw a number of scaled up and scaled down versions of the house that Richard built. Some that had the capacity to switch out the hardwood to reveal an ice rink. These were concepts that were all left on the cutting room floor. There was one that had almost turret-style steeples on all four corners with Gries Hall style adornments in that ugly green shade. I’m sure that architect never got a Christmas card from Biondi. 

I digress, but obviously the brand of SLU basketball that was being played in the early to mid 90s was hot. College basketball as a whole was hot. The Fab 5, Duke, UNLV. Run and gun style hoops. Spoon localized what was going on nationally. And we were winning. We had had competent and active sports marketing teams, too. How many of y’all had Spoonball posters in your dorm rooms? Yeah you did. We also played a legit non-conference slate, which included some regional teams in SMS and SIU, which probably added to the attendance figures, too. 

It was almost as if the arena built with Soderball in mind, rather than Spoonball, completing one of the unspoken tragedies of an arena completing its 16th season of service. 

I love the mid to late 90s era of Billiken basketball.  I wish we could go back there.  But I don't think it's useful to rehash what happened 30 years ago in a very different social environment.  We had strong crowds even in a down year during that period.  That would not happen today.  Bandwagon culture is a lot more ruthless now.  There were a lot more families attending sporting events back then as well.

14 hours ago, SLU-Geo said:

2/19 Friday 18,033 UAB

Not to be blasphemous, but it really felt like Spoon was a Godsend. I’ll always be greatful for what Grawer did to revive the program, but Spoonhour took the program to another level unseen in Midtown and the metro since the 50’s.

21 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I love the mid to late 90s era of Billiken basketball.  I wish we could go back there.  But I don't think it's useful to rehash what happened 30 years ago in a very different social environment.  We had strong crowds even in a down year during that period.  That would not happen today.  Bandwagon culture is a lot more ruthless now.  There were a lot more families attending sporting events back then as well.

…or they really have better things to do than to see a lame duck “coach” attempting to coach.