2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That was my point, roy. 

Many of us here, including myself posted the hope and expectation that he would surround himself with assistants who complimented his recruiting abilities and with Xs and Os ability. 

i agree.   i was only finishing your statement for those that were not full mbm's at that time.   you made a great point just didnt finish it.   

VeniceMenace likes this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Folks that want to even discuss hiring an NBA assistant for the SLU coaching position don't want SLU to be successful. Ahearn has zero relevant experience to being the head coach for a high level Division 1 basketball program. 

Look at Jerry Stackhouse for how "but he won the G-league blah blah blah" works out. 

All of my IU buddies were bragging about how they got "one of the best NBA assistants" in Mike Woodson to be their coach. Now every single one of those guys is begging for Dusty May to take over.

Box and Won likes this

what about Bob Huggins?  ?too old, ?too much baggage? players don't graduate(who does with NIL)? His buddy Frank Martin says Huggins is sober and would like to coach again.  He was good friend with Spoon and always liked Scott Highmark 

1 minute ago, papal said:

what about Bob Huggins?  ?too old

Yes

?too much baggage? 

yes

2 minutes ago, papal said:

players don't graduate(who does with NIL)? 

Mostly yes

Here’s a novel idea: find a coach who is on the upswing and will adapt to the current NCAA, instead of one from years gone by. At least make the people that inevitably run the search earn that paycheck, instead of just hiring the first name you recognize from back in the day. 

Weber comes off as a good guy and would’ve been a decent hire when we removed Crews’ interim tag and when we hired Ford, but it’s too late now. We need a coach who can thrive in today’s college basketball environment, and I don’t think hiring a guy looking to squeeze a few more years out of his career is the move here. 

Ahearn is high risk, but potentially high reward. A lot of NBA coaches haven’t adjusted well to college. I’d potentially take him over a retread with name recognition who had success 5-10 years ago, but I’d rather hire a coach with recent college success. While he’s younger, Ahearn gives me Billy Lange vibes. Lange got the St. Joe’s job because of some “he knows Philly basketball…it just means more here” nonsense. While it would be cool to say that I remembered going to grade school basketball camps with the new SLU coach, where he’s from and where he went to high school should have nothing to do with the SLU hiring process.

Give me someone who is on the way up. Also, our greatest successes have been with Spoonhour and Majerus at the helm, and both of those guys went about things a little differently. I’m not entirely convinced that SLU is capable of succeeding when they try to act like a normal program. We may need to hire a coach who has taken a different path (McCollum, Schertz) than normal. Maybe someone a little weird. 
Devries seems pretty normal and mainstream though. He’d be good too.

Bilzz, willie and stmdragons like this

You can make an argument on a guy like Ahearn being low floor, high ceiling. And you can say the floor can't get any lower than it is now so you should take a shot on him. 

But not to be dramatic here, the way college sports are going, I don't think you can afford another 3 years in the basement. You have to get this hire right. Give me someone who can actually coach basketball 

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

You can make an argument on a guy like Ahearn being low floor, high ceiling. And you can say the floor can't get any lower than it is now so you should take a shot on him. 

But not to be dramatic here, the way college sports are going, I don't think you can afford another 3 years in the basement. You have to get this hire right. Give me someone who can actually coach basketball 

Chris May has an interesting history of destroying sports programs at SLU: See 2 x Basketball and 1 x Volleyball, some would include 1 x Men's Soccer.

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I agree with this 100%. I don’t know much about Ahearn, I really love the idea of a guy like him coming in. How does anyone know how good of a coach he is or will be if he was the SLU coach? We don’t. When Ohio State hired Chris Holtmann did anyone question his abilities, he still got canned and replaced by a guy Arizona broomed a few years ago. I think it’s just as stupid to dismiss a guy based on him being local and known. Who cares??? All I’m saying is cast a wide net and whoever is the best give that guy the job. Just using Ahearn and Weber as examples on this board, if everyone  was as critical of Chris May and Travis Ford over the years as they are about even mentioning one of these guys as a possibility we wouldn’t be in the mess we are now! For the record they aren’t even in my top 5.  It’s silly to even speculate on names until both May and Ford are gone. I want a new AD to hire the coach. That’s the more important hire for the future of this program right now. IMO.

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Chris May has an interesting history of destroying sports programs at SLU: See 2 x Basketball and 1 x Volleyball, some would include 1 x Men's Soccer.

Plus what has he really done to help any of the non-revenue sports all this time? Can’t say baseball bc the coach raises 100% of all the extra money there. Thank god Kavanaugh stepped in otherwise soccer would still be on that list times 2. 

35 minutes ago, willie said:

Your hatred od May gets old. 

Me!? You should talk to those who’ve worked under him. Or student athletes current or former. Weird that not ONE Chris May hire has taken a larger role at another university. Isn’t it? 

I’ve said many times I thought May was up sh*t creek with Crews. Tough to sell not hiring the national coach of the year. But again, he has presided over 2 basketball coaches in a row who’ve flirted with historically bad seasons. His replacement for Anne Kordes demolished everything the program had built. I dislike Chris May, that’s no secret. But my posts aren’t just wild claims based in hatred. 

34 minutes ago, willie said:

Your hatred od May gets old. 

Nah May is weinerific.  Your pollyana BS is so tired. Wake up and smell the Oscar Meyers.  May is a Weiner not a winner. Horrible on almost all accounts besides kissing a$$ of a few donors.  Guess you're the type that enjoys your a$$ being kissed. I'm not I appreciate competency.

NextYearBill likes this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Me!? You should talk to those who’ve worked under him. Or student athletes current or former. Weird that not ONE Chris May hire has taken a larger role at another university. Isn’t it? 

I’ve said many times I thought May was up sh*t creek with Crews. Tough to sell not hiring the national coach of the year. But again, he has presided over 2 basketball coaches in a row who’ve flirted with historically bad seasons. His replacement for Anne Kordes demolished everything the program had built. I dislike Chris May, that’s no secret. But my posts aren’t just wild claims based in hatred. 

My point is not what you say but you have said it 50k times. 

DOC likes this

Just now, willie said:

How many times have you said this? I think 51.

Of course Willie loves weinertastic May.  @ me when you make an actual basketball observation that's not a defense of someone that was once nice to you at a booster meeting. Do you think Hooters waitresses are really into you too?  They're not. 

30 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

How many times have you said this? I think 51.

Of course Willie loves weinertastic May.  @ me when you make an actual basketball observation that's not a defense of someone that was once nice to you at a booster meeting. Do you think Hooters waitresses are really into you too?  They're not. 

-glad this wasn't directed at me

Fraz likes this

2 hours ago, papal said:

what about Bob Huggins?  ?too old, ?too much baggage? players don't graduate(who does with NIL)? His buddy Frank Martin says Huggins is sober and would like to coach again.  He was good friend with Spoon and always liked Scott Highmark 

Im probably in the minority but give me Bob.

NextYearBill likes this

14 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Im probably in the minority but give me Bob.

So you can fire another head coach in 12 months? SLU ain't hiring a guy with a public gay slur on his recent record. Being a catholic school, we could probably overlook the alcoholism.  

1 hour ago, willie said:

It’s ironic that people bitched about posters repeatedly mentioning wanting the coach and/or AD fired, so this thread was created.  

Now people are bitching about people saying it too many times IN THE THREAD SPECIFICALLY FOR THAT TOPIC.