SLU Baseball 2024

OkieBilliken

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, OkieBilliken said:

If we had better seating, actual concessions, a real stadium, would we really get more fans to show up?  I hope so but I’m not convinced.  

If you build it, they will come. 

15 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

I get it.  We have terrible facilities.  May should be ashamed for his non-support and I hope he gets fired.  But we did have an average of about 85 people attend our last home series, when we were undefeated and actually getting Top 25 votes.   If we had better seating, actual concessions, a real stadium, would we really get more fans to show up?  I hope so but I’m not convinced.    We could just keep kicking this dead horse or actually support the team.   If we had 500 people show up and started bitching because there was nowhere to sit that would be a pretty powerful statement.       We have a massive series against Loyola Marymount this weekend.   GO SEE THEM PLAY!   

The following weekend they play in New Orleans.  I will be attending.   It will be SLU vs. SLU.  Then they play Tulane Monday night.    Bourbon Street here we come!

Spending any amount of time sitting on those bleachers is an unenjoyable experience. Doing that to watch a 3 hour game in the middle of March is worse. You have to be a true sicko to go to a Billiken game when it's not 70 and sunny. Imagine recruiting a kid and showing them where their parents are going to have to sit to watch them play. How Hendrickson gets any players is incredible achievement. 

We're not asking for some SEC stadium. 500 stadium chair area behind home plate with an overhang and a pressbox would be completely reasonable. 

DirtyRican and BillTheCat like this

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Spending any amount of time sitting on those bleachers is an unenjoyable experience. Doing that to watch a 3 hour game in the middle of March is worse. You have to be a true sicko to go to a Billiken game when it's not 70 and sunny. Imagine recruiting a kid and showing them where their parents are going to have to sit to watch them play. How Hendrickson gets any players is incredible achievement. 

We're not asking for some SEC stadium. 500 stadium chair area behind home plate with an overhang and a pressbox would be completely reasonable. 

I agree with everything you said.  I will say that a lot of college baseball with the exception of the big schools the fan experience is probably going to be somewhat uncomfortable. I confess I am a sicko.   If I still lived in town, I would probably bring a comfortable captains chair and chill on the 3rd base side hill.   But there is no excuse for limited or no concessions, no press box, etc.   It is also crazy that as the only Division I team in the city, we don’t have any ongoing relationship with the Cardinals.   

I do think the solution is to have more people show up, not fewer.  Celebrate this team and our terrific coaching staff.  I would really like to brutalize the A10 this year.  

StLouBlue likes this

2 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

I agree with everything you said.  I will say that a lot of college baseball with the exception of the big schools the fan experience is probably going to be somewhat uncomfortable. I confess I am a sicko.   If I still lived in town, I would probably bring a comfortable captains chair and chill on the 3rd base side hill.   But there is no excuse for limited or no concessions, no press box, etc.   It is also crazy that as the only Division I team in the city, we don’t have any ongoing relationship with the Cardinals.   

I do think the solution is to have more people show up, not fewer.  Celebrate this team and our terrific coaching staff.  I would really like to brutalize the A10 this year.  

Has anyone suggested not showing up to watch this year? I feel like you're arguing against nobody. Chris May has made it more difficult for a working stiff to attend a game by nixing light installation than it already was. Eliminates mid week and Friday evening games. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Has anyone suggested not showing up to watch this year? I feel like you're arguing against nobody. Chris May has made it more difficult for a working stiff to attend a game by nixing light installation than it already was. Eliminates mid week and Friday evening games. 

Agree but every third post on this topic is that our facilities suck and the administration is terrible.  Both are true but it gets very repetitive and a little demoralizing.   We have always had sh**ty facilities.  Hopefully we will eventually get a competent AD that cares.  

Tommy Ray has wicked stuff we may have two damn good weekend starters for conference season.   Pat Clohisy looks like he is starting to mash again.  I’m excited about this team, but there is a ton of negativity because of their success.  

willie likes this

8 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Agree but every third post on this topic is that our facilities suck and the administration is terrible.  Both are true but it gets very repetitive and a little demoralizing.   We have always had sh**ty facilities.  Hopefully we will eventually get a competent AD that cares.  

Tommy Ray has wicked stuff we may have two damn good weekend starters for conference season.   Pat Clohisy looks like he is starting to mash again.  I’m excited about this team, but there is a ton of negativity because of their success.  

I don't know what to tell you, nothing gets done unless Chris May's bullsh*t is brought to light. Chris May would love nothing more than for nobody to find out about the light situation, the sod situation, the press box situation. He thrives on secrecy. I can assure you this is the way to go. Good vibes will come with more wins. Right now this team is playing with a chip on their shoulder because of May's disrespect, I'm happy to feed them chips. 

From D1 Baseball on this weekend’s series:

Mid-major sleeper alert … When perusing the weekend schedule, the matchup between LMU and Saint Louis stood out to me. First, it’s kind of cool that LMU is traveling halfway across the country to face the Billikens on their home turf. Second, it’s also cool that both programs are off to solid starts. LMU has won seven games already, while Darin Hendrickson’s club is sitting at an impressive 11-1 entering the weekend. The Billies have not played the toughest schedule, so this weekend will be a step up in competition. Pat Clohisy has been one of the nation’s more dynamic hitters thus far with a .489 average, 1.554 OPS, five doubles, four triples, three homers and 20 RBIs, while Hayden Moore has hit four homers and knocked in 14 runs.

If there were night games I’d definitely be there watching some. But, it conflicts with my son’s high school games and practices.  I know he’d love to go watch games with me and friends, as he knows some kids on the team and is a huge college baseball fan.  

I bring up the lack of lights because it is directly responsible for the scheduling that prevents us from attending.  I’ve sat on plenty of aluminum bleachers and can deal with them with the portable seats I bring to select tournaments, although they aren’t usually needed as most places have stadium seating.

1 hour ago, BillTheCat said:

Portapotties haven’t been touched since last week, and bathroom by the fields is locked.

May walks by and says hi.  Worthless POS.

They haven’t cleaned the portapotties in a week, and the bathrooms are locked? Doesn’t really make me want to head down for a game, to be honest. I would need to bring a stadium seat, any snacks or drinks I might want, and now bring my own bucket to go in?

Portapotties haven’t been touched since last week, and bathroom by the fields is locked.

Portapotties are usually on a contract with the company who owns them and they are suppose to service them.  Not sure what the contract calls for.

So the women's team is in the a10 semis, the men's team is playing their last game and then heading to Brooklyn, there is a ton of smoke on Ford being out tomorrow.....and May is in St Louis???

He is either interviewing Schertz or he is truly not involved in any of this or he's just really dumb 

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

So the women's team is in the a10 semis, the men's team is playing their last game and then heading to Brooklyn, there is a ton of smoke on Ford being out tomorrow.....and May is in St Louis???

He is either interviewing Schertz or he is truly not involved in any of this or he's just really dumb 

It is the perfect time to give tours of the facilities to multiple candidates without it leaking.  You got at least two in town already and Mack can fly in.

NextYearBill likes this

Big schools aren't doing interviews on campus anymore. They're occurring at a 3rd party location.  Unless maybe it's Mack he doesn't have the issue of being employed by a school right now.

Or maybe he only has a desktop not a laptop so it's hard to check email and write reports on the road.

1 minute ago, BillTheCat said:

Girls game started - that bathroom opened.

Offense shelled a guy for LMU who had some of the best stats in D1 so far.

Tommy Ray had the start Hendrickson has been waiting for out of him… clutch.

Double header today, right?

43 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Big schools aren't doing interviews on campus anymore. They're occurring at a 3rd party location.  Unless maybe it's Mack he doesn't have the issue of being employed by a school right now.

Or maybe he only has a desktop not a laptop so it's hard to check email and write reports on the road.

Schertz is right in STL, 3rd Party location doesn’t have to be in another state. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Schertz is right in STL, 3rd Party location doesn’t have to be in another state. 

I recommend The Buttery on S Grand

stmdragons and Ironbills like this