SLU Baseball 2024

OkieBilliken

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Schedule released.  I will be going to the games in Port Charlotte and Memphis.   I’m going to try to talk my wife into a New Orleans trip.   Sad that the athletic department can’t spell Cincinnati 🙁

Are you sure Cincinnatti is not some D3 school no one’s ever heard of? 😄

OkieBilliken likes this

1 hour ago, OkieBilliken said:

Schedule released.  I will be going to the games in Port Charlotte and Memphis.   I’m going to try to talk my wife into a New Orleans trip.   Sad that the athletic department can’t spell Cincinnati 🙁

First thing I noticed. Hopefully it means there's a return game here next season...

1 hour ago, billiken class of 15 said:

Very interested in SLU baseball, but haven't followed the team closely in years. Are we going to be any good this year?

We should pitch better but did lose our best hitter Cam Redding.   We were one game away from the NCAA tournament last year.   Coach Hendrickson usually has us competitive.  

11 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

We should pitch better but did lose our best hitter Cam Redding.   We were one game away from the NCAA tournament last year.   Coach Hendrickson usually has us competitive.  

Thanks. I'm a local high school teacher and a couple of my students are being recruited by SLU. Coach Hendrickson sounds like a great dude, both for the school and for his players. 

A few notes about this upcoming baseball season:

Hendrickson has built a team that could/should be the pre-season pick to win the A-10 this year.  A solid mix of SLU veterans, portal additions and freshmen who will factor in early.

Hitting:  Last year's team led the league in multiple hitting metrics:  Runs Scored, Hits, RBIs, and had a .296 team batting average good for 3rd best in the league. All of that offensive output returns with the exception of graduates Swanger and Redding, who were 6th and 7th in Batting Avg and Hits (Redding was injured early season).  None of the contributors were lost to the Portal, which is pretty amazing considering.  Four returners were in the Top 20 in the A-10 for average last season... Smith and Clohisy were 3rd and 9th in the A-10 in total hits last year as sophmores... both should be easy draft candidates this year.  Only two position losses to graduation, and none to the Portal.

In Fall scrimmages the offense was a juggernaut... in the game against SIUE the score was 19-0 after the 6th inning against SIUE's projected starters... the other two scrimmages were similarly non-competitive, with the biggest tests being the inter-squad matchups (where the team with a lot of the under-classmen came away with the overall win).

Pitching:  Last year's squad finished up 2nd in the A-10 for ERA, and multiple new faces will be on the mound this spring including key portal additions including Ray (Louisiana) and Weber (Wofford) who will likely get looks as starters.  Last year's top 4 ERA leaders all return in Litman, Chaffin, Jack Weber and Jackson Holmes.  Evan Gray (Arkansas transfer) is healthy and was up to 96 this fall... he may be used as an effective hope-killer out of the bullpen.  Three strong freshmen looked good this fall and will be expected to contribute in Yarberry, Kelly and Cunningham.  

A few other notes:

• SLU was set to host the A-10 tournament this coming post-season, but ultimately had to forfeit the opportunity to host due to insufficient facilities... VCU will host. 
  • I've read a question on here about whether some teams have to pay to eat in the Champions center... that's absolutely true and a pathetic move by the AD.  Some girls from soccer end up giving baseball players their Champions Center credits.  This is 100% bush-league.  
  • Coach Hendrickson is one of the Top 25 winningest active D1 baseball coaches... and his youngest kid is now out of HS.  If there were ever a time for SLU to show Hendrickson it's committed to helping him build a regular NCAA tournament participant it would be now.  Many of his players are there to play for him, and it showed with the lack of outbound portal activity this past cycle.  He's tough and expects results, and has done an amazing job recruiting despite the program's inherent obstacles to doing so.
thetorch, MB73, Pistol and 1 other like this

7 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

Hendrickson has built a team that could/should be the pre-season pick to win the A-10 this year.  A solid mix of SLU veterans, portal additions and freshmen who will factor in early.

Hitting:  Last year's team led the league in multiple hitting metrics:  Runs Scored, Hits, RBIs, and had a .296 team batting average good for 3rd best in the league. All of that offensive output returns with the exception of graduates Swanger and Redding, who were 6th and 7th in Batting Avg and Hits (Redding was injured early season).  None of the contributors were lost to the Portal, which is pretty amazing considering.  Four returners were in the Top 20 in the A-10 for average last season... Smith and Clohisy were 3rd and 9th in the A-10 in total hits last year as sophmores... both should be easy draft candidates this year.  Only two position losses to graduation, and none to the Portal.

In Fall scrimmages the offense was a juggernaut... in the game against SIUE the score was 19-0 after the 6th inning against SIUE's projected starters... the other two scrimmages were similarly non-competitive, with the biggest tests being the inter-squad matchups (where the team with a lot of the under-classmen came away with the overall win).

Pitching:  Last year's squad finished up 2nd in the A-10 for ERA, and multiple new faces will be on the mound this spring including key portal additions including Ray (Louisiana) and Weber (Wofford) who will likely get looks as starters.  Last year's top 4 ERA leaders all return in Litman, Chaffin, Jack Weber and Jackson Holmes.  Evan Gray (Arkansas transfer) is healthy and was up to 96 this fall... he may be used as an effective hope-killer out of the bullpen.  Three strong freshmen looked good this fall and will be expected to contribute in Yarberry, Kelly and Cunningham.  

A few other notes:

• SLU was set to host the A-10 tournament this coming post-season, but ultimately had to forfeit the opportunity to host due to insufficient facilities... VCU will host. 
  • I've read a question on here about whether some teams have to pay to eat in the Champions center... that's absolutely true and a pathetic move by the AD.  Some girls from soccer end up giving baseball players their Champions Center credits.  This is 100% bush-league.  
  • Coach Hendrickson is one of the Top 25 winningest active D1 baseball coaches... and his youngest kid is now out of HS.  If there were ever a time for SLU to show Hendrickson it's committed to helping him build a regular NCAA tournament participant it would be now.  Many of his players are there to play for him, and it showed with the lack of outbound portal activity this past cycle.  He's tough and expects results, and has done an amazing job recruiting despite the program's inherent obstacles to doing so.

SLU was set to host the A-10 tournament this coming post-season, but ultimately had to forfeit the opportunity to host due to insufficient facilities. They  hosted the A-10 tournament in 2017, losing in the final in 10 innings to Davidson, coming up through the loser bracket, having lost their 1st game to GWU. Very little has changed since then, does the A-10 now have different requirements.

I don’t know the details of what went into the decision… but have heard lack of a suitable locker room for away team may have been a factor.  Hendrickson was able to secure improved lights, but was looking for funding to get them installed.  New outfield grass is being put down currently.  
Going into Fall SLU was designated as the host… now it’s back to VCU.

24 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

A few other notes:

-funny CMay didn't mention this when he was on with Frank and discussed dining in the Center

-hopefully all teams can eat in season

-I guess it comes down to money

15 minutes ago, BillTheCat said:

I don’t know the details of what went into the decision… but have heard lack of a suitable locker room for away team may have been a factor.  Hendrickson was able to secure improved lights, but was looking for funding to get them installed.  New outfield grass is being put down currently.  
Going into Fall SLU was designated as the host… now it’s back to VCU.

Hopefully led lights like softball have.

I walked by baseball field at last Saturday’s game….uh, I’m not a sod expert but I want to know who’s the genius that decided putting sod down at the end of December was such a good idea? Nobody is that dumb, right? Plus it’s sod! Who would’ve ever thought a D1 program in St. Louis would be passed by facilities-wise by local high schools like Vianney, DeSmet, Chaminade and soon CBC? How the coach recruits the players he does with that set up I’ll never understand, can you imagine what he’d do with mbb facilities?!?!? Then again look at AD, you’d think he’d realize it over years, no press box, a shed for an indoor that could double as a storage shed for ground screw, bleachers from 1970’s and grass outfield with a turf infield….AD probably played more dungeons and dragons in high school than any type of baseball, def didn’t play basketball or soccer. I honestly don’t know how slu coaches across board stay there more than one game year, unless you are Travis Ford making $2.5 million per. It’s embarrassing to say the least. Should just play home games at Affton. 

39 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-funny CMay didn't mention this when he was on with Frank and discussed dining in the Center

-hopefully all teams can eat in season

-I guess it comes down to money

Chris May will for sure be peacocking and clapping like a little jr billiken cheerleader on ESPN if baseball makes it to an NCAA Sectional. Such a front runner. Meanwhile his baseball program can’t keep up with DeSmet locally in regards to a facility/field. Who is in charge of raising money down there? Serious question. Like what do AD’s do, isn’t raising money a big part of the job? Then again, right now he’s putting sod down in the winter and can’t pay off champions center so it lines up. All of it. How nobody sees this and questions how the entire department is run day to day I would love to know. Are Fred and BoT that dumb or that naive? How can that many people look that stupid? If Chris May worked in the real world he would’ve been fired as soon as Butler and Creighton out maneuvered him to get into BE years ago and he’d currently be working as the AD in middle of no where taking tickets, stocking up the concession stands and mopping floors at halftime telling stories about Rick Majerus and Colorado football. lol can’t make it up, any of it. 

I know I’m bashing Chris May….all I want is to see besides a real D1 baseball set up is him throwing a baseball and/or shooting a basketball….i think that would seriously explain everything and why such the disconnect. I’ve played in Billiken golf tournaments in past and if it’s anything like his golf swing, it would be entertaining at the very least. What a gem. It isn’t fair that one man has all that brain and brawn power. Not fair. lol 

12 minutes ago, slu92 said:

I walked by baseball field at last Saturday’s game….uh, I’m not a sod expert but I want to know who’s the genius that decided putting sod down at the end of December was such a good idea? Nobody is that dumb, right? Plus it’s sod! Who would’ve ever thought a D1 program in St. Louis would be passed by facilities-wise by local high schools like Vianney, DeSmet, Chaminade and soon CBC? How the coach recruits the players he does with that set up I’ll never understand, can you imagine what he’d do with mbb facilities?!?!? Then again look at AD, you’d think he’d realize it over years, no press box, a shed for an indoor that could double as a storage shed for ground screw, bleachers from 1970’s and grass outfield with a turf infield….AD probably played more dungeons and dragons in high school than any type of baseball, def didn’t play basketball or soccer. I honestly don’t know how slu coaches across board stay there more than one game year, unless you are Travis Ford making $2.5 million per. It’s embarrassing to say the least. Should just play home games at Affton. 

Putting sod down in the winter is a common practice.  In fact, seeding is often done in December and January.   Because the sod is dormant now it does not require watering and other types of care now.   The point is that you want the sod and the seed to be able to take off as soon as the weather permits.  There will be many days during the late winter that will allow the root system to be activated even if it may not seem so.  Now if you want an artificial surface then that is a horse of a different color.  It is more expensive initially but may very well pay for itself in the long run if the field gets a lot of use - like renting it out or multiple teams play on the same surface.  If the baseball team is the only one playing on it then the initial higher cost may not make sense - a pencil has to be put on it to know for sure.  Before you think I don't know what I am talking about let me tell you that we laid many fields over the years at the school district I worked for.  We had 4 high schools and 6 middle schools with 26 elementary schools so keeping the grass up to speed on fields was a major task for us. 

I seriously don’t know. Appreciate explanation. It should be turf…how are the Minnesota Vikings putting down a new state of the art turf field in their stadium for $1.3 million and this AD can’t turf a baseball field? How does DeSmet and Vianney raise money? You could rent that thing out nonstop and actually generate money too. It’s beyond stupid. Unless I am missing something? 

12 minutes ago, slu92 said:

I seriously don’t know. Appreciate explanation. It should be turf…how are the Minnesota Vikings putting down a new state of the art turf field in their stadium for $1.3 million and this AD can’t turf a baseball field? How does DeSmet and Vianney raise money? You could rent that thing out nonstop and actually generate money too. It’s beyond stupid. Unless I am missing something? 

Ultimately, costs have to figure into the equation.  I doubt SLU would like to rent the ball field out to little league teams and other groups but who knows.  It also is possible the coach may prefer turf over artificial.

SIUE has all turf with covered stands and a press box.

Lindenwood has all turf with a press box.

The preference would likely be all turf in the STL area due to better playability in weather, and maintenance.

SLU team-wise is loaded compared to both of the above programs… due to Hendrickson.

• 3 weeks later...