GDT: SLU v. Louisiana Tech

SluSignGuy

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, DOC said:

I’m sure last night was pretty upsetting to you. Why don’t you just stay in your fire Ford lane. 

I loved the win last night. Still want Ford and May gone.

6 hours ago, Compton said:

I don't think that assessment is fair to LHJ, who is a ball hawk and was trying to force turnovers. He was out there going for steals and disrupting the opposing offense. He got whistles a couple times in the second half when he was going for steals, loose balls, rebounds, and inbounds passes. Maybe one was a legit foul, but the refs were pretty quick with the whistle when he mixed things up.

LJ's strength is staying in front of his man, not generating steals.  He averaged about 1.5 spg in high school.  He averages about 1 spg at the college level for a team that plays in a lot of high possession games.  Those are good numbers, not ball hawk numbers.  

Thames and Medley have similar numbers on a per minute basis. These three players are the closest we have to ball hawks.

43 minutes ago, DOC said:

I’m sure last night was pretty upsetting to you. Why don’t you just stay in your fire Ford lane. 

So you did storm the court?

Good grief, I'm glad I recorded this week's show before reading the last 4 pages of this thread.

I think regardless of your disposition, you won't be upset at us this week.

Unless you work for the NCAA.

2 hours ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I loved the win last night. Still want Ford and May gone.

I agree. It was a win for the ages and while it certainly doesn't change anyone's feelings on Ford, it was great to be a Billiken last night. 

On 12/16/2023 at 9:16 PM, kcbill said:

Some body with the game on tape tell me how many points TJ got in the final seconds. I think maybe 11 points in approximately 35 seconds.

Just for the record, and for easy reference later, here's a collection of some of the coverage of the Dec 16, 2023 game against Louisiana Tech, especially the final 28 seconds, when TJ Hargrove lit it up, scoring 11 points, including a buzzer beater for the 75-74 SLU victory:

ESPN Sportscenter (Listed the buzzer beater in their daily top ten sports plays)

Each of the shots taken by TJ Hargrove in the final 28 seconds are here. Also see here and here.

The KMOX radio broadcast of this game, with Rammer and Earl on the call, (with the final 30 seconds beginning around the 2:12 mark in the recording) is here.

Stu's article in the PD.

KSDK Channel 5

image.thumb.png.ce1426f3b7001c9e2e08bce6ac9abf5f.png

dlarry, cgeldmacher and Compton like this

13 hours ago, Compton said:

I don't think that assessment is fair to LHJ, who is a ball hawk and was trying to force turnovers. He was out there going for steals and disrupting the opposing offense. He got whistles a couple times in the second half when he was going for steals, loose balls, rebounds, and inbounds passes. Maybe one was a legit foul, but the refs were pretty quick with the whistle when he mixed things up.

Though slow with the whistle on the other end. The most egregious was Brad trying to pass out of the key to an open player, seemingly hacked on the arm, no whistle then at the other end he gets his 5th foul. 

8 hours ago, DOC said:

I agree. It was a win for the ages and while it certainly doesn't change anyone's feelings on Ford, it was great to be a Billiken last night. 

So you rushed the court?

Per the pregame interview with Rammer and Earl, the first challenge Coach Ford issued to Ezewiro was to lose 30-40 lbs.  That may explain why he was so spry in his first game.  He's not the same lumbering hulk who was at Georgetown. 

The next set of challenges for him is to learn the plays (since he wasn't playing he was on the scout team) and to get in game shape.

cgeldmacher and TheA_Bomb like this

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Per the pregame interview with Rammer and Earl, the first challenge Coach Ford issued to Ezewiro was to lose 30-40 lbs.  That may explain why he was so spry in his first game.  He's not the same lumbering hulk who was at Georgetown. 

The next set of challenges for him is to learn the plays (since he wasn't playing he was on the scout team) and to get in game shape.

If they were waiting for a ruling on his waiver that could’ve come at any time, why on earth was he not learning the plays??

JMM28 likes this

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

If they were waiting for a ruling on his waiver that could’ve come at any time, why on earth was he not learning the plays??

Apparently at SLU learning the plays is a special challenge not just a given. Explains a lot.

JMM28 likes this

25 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Apparently at SLU learning the plays is a special challenge not just a given. Explains a lot.

If you pay attention to other programs, you'll hear other coaches expressing the same concerns about their newly eligible players.  Guys who aren't playing have theoretical knowledge but haven't actually applied it in real games.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you pay attention to other programs, you'll hear other coaches expressing the same concerns about their newly eligible players.  Guys who aren't playing have theoretical knowledge but haven't actually applied it in real games.

I get that we over dissect every word about SLU BB because we've got nothing better to do, but to say "learn the plays" is different than haven't ran them in a game yet.

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I get that we over dissect every word about SLU BB because we've got nothing better to do, but to say "learn the plays" is different than haven't ran them in a game yet.

I thought we attended Billiken games because we had nothing better to do? 😄

38 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I think the explanation here is that Brad was playing on the scout team because they didn't expect him to be eligible.  He would essentially learn how our opponents play and try to mimic that in practice to better prepare the our guys who were actually expected to play in the games. 

The optimistic take is that Brad wasn't practicing as a member of the rotation.  As he develops familiarity, he'll get better.  Pessimistic take is that as opponents scout us with Brad, they'll be better prepared to slow him down.

2 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Often the scout team's job is to stop the first team from running what they want to run.  It's not the same thing as running the plays yourself.  The first team is getting most of those offensive reps.

27 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think the explanation here is that Brad was playing on the scout team because they didn't expect him to be eligible.  He would essentially learn how our opponents play and try to mimic that in practice to better prepare the our guys who were actually expected to play in the games. 

The optimistic take is that Brad wasn't practicing as a member of the rotation.  As he develops familiarity, he'll get better.  Pessimistic take is that as opponents scout us with Brad, they'll be better prepared to slow him down.

Well considering that every decent big has dominated us this year, and that Saturday Brad looked like the best offensive big we’ve had since Hasahn (and can make a FT), maybe we should throw our playbook out the window and just let him play like he’s on the scout team.   I don’t think we need to be getting him the ball at the top of the arc, which is what we do with all our bigs for whatever reason.  Ezewiro’s scoring inside also really opened up the outside for Jimerson, which we haven’t seen for a couple years at least. 

CenHudDude likes this

6 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Well considering that every decent big has dominated us this year, and that Saturday Brad looked like the best offensive big we’ve had since Hasahn (and can make a FT), maybe we should throw our playbook out the window and just let him play like he’s on the scout team.   I don’t think we need to be getting him the ball at the top of the arc, which is what we do with all our bigs for whatever reason.  Ezewiro’s scoring inside also really opened up the outside for Jimerson, which we haven’t seen for a couple years at least. 

Can make a FT better than Hasahn.

If you're counting on Brad to make a FT late in the game, you better make sure you have your anxiety meds.  He's a career 58% FT shooter which is way better than Has at 34%, but still well below average.

13 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Agree that Ezewiro scoring inside is a good thing.  A player knowing the plays so the whole team is on the same page is also a good thing.  There is no conflict here.  

24 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

from watching ford ball for the last decade, i find it hard to believe there is a billiken playbook.   maybe a pamphlet or a suggestion list.   but no playbook.   if there is, none of the ford teams ever learned it very well.  there is a lot of standing around and selfishness from my view.   

almaman likes this

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agree that Ezewiro scoring inside is a good thing.  A player knowing the plays so the whole team is on the same page is also a good thing.  There is no conflict here.  

Brad is explosive off the floor, even more so than TJ or Thames. I saw him make at least 1 mid-range jumper as well.  I'm looking forward to seeing his growth this year, and hopefully next year as well.