Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

6 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This is a real person? I thought he was a politician from Frasier.

Holden Thorp is integral to this plan.  He's what's called the operational center of gravity.  Watch Napoleon, read Clauswitz and then you'll see Thorp's crucial to victory.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yawn.  Again, somebody wake me up when you have a coach you like and the AD you want.  I'm sure emailing Trudy Busch Valentine (and your really big check) will make that happen. In the meantime I'll find a less depressing place to cheer on the Billikens, despite the vagaries of the NCAA transfer process and the ravages of injury..........

11 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Yawn.  Again, somebody wake me up when you have a coach you like and the AD you want.  I'm sure emailing Trudy Busch Valentine (and your really big check) will make that happen. In the meantime I'll find a less depressing place to cheer on the Billikens, despite the vagaries of the NCAA transfer process and the ravages of injury..........

Trudy lives 2 doors down from my wife's aunt and uncle if you think it would be more effective!

33 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Still blaming the NCAA for a SLU compliance debacle. 

Bills By 40 likes this

good post A Bomb, thanks for putting the effort into it.   The issue is that too many are still content with mediocrity. It will have to get much, much worse for that group (we all know who we’re talking about here) to ever call for May or Ford’s job.   

Mediocrity = smaller crowds= shorter bathroom/food lines, shorter waits for golf cart ride to/from garage, fewer drunk young people yelling obscenities, cheaper tickets, more elbow space/open seats, etc.  There is a large section of Billiken fandom for whom Billiken games are mainly a social event/ easy way to get out of the house on a weeknight… sold out crowds/attention on the program only threaten all that.  We see this group only dig their heels deeper when confronted with the program’s current direction under May and Ford. 

I am obviously being somewhat exaggerative here, but it is based on truth, although none would admit it. Far too many are happy with the way things are. I fear it will take multiple seasons of Crews-level mediocrity before we see any real change at a coaching or AD level. 

TaLBErt likes this

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

good post A Bomb, thanks for putting the effort into it.   The issue is that too many are still content with mediocrity. It will have to get much, much worse for that group (we all know who we’re talking about here) to ever call for May or Ford’s job.   

Mediocrity = smaller crowds= shorter bathroom/food lines, shorter waits for golf cart ride to/from garage, fewer drunk young people yelling obscenities, cheaper tickets, more elbow space/open seats, etc.  There is a large section of Billiken fandom for whom Billiken games are mainly a social event/ easy way to get out of the house on a weeknight… sold out crowds/attention on the program only threaten all that.  We see this group only dig their heels deeper when confronted with the program’s current direction under May and Ford. 

I am obviously being somewhat exaggerative here, but it is based on truth, although none would admit it. Far too many are happy with the way things are. I fear it will take multiple seasons of Crews-level mediocrity before we see any real change at a coaching or AD level. 

Disagree.  Everyone here wants to win.  Not everyone agrees on the next steps.

AGB91, bauman and MariaReynolds like this

17 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

I agree. However, I believe that those in power do not have their fingers on the pulse of college basketball or willing to take the risks necessary to succeed at the level they aspire to be at.

34 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Of course everyone wants to win. But a lot don’t want to do what it takes or costs to win 

31 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

I agree.

I also think some people are happy with 20 win seasons (I know that’s a running joke but I don’t mean it that way) and some people want more.  

I think the expectations people have shape their beliefs of what the next steps should be. 

6 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Dear Fellow MBMs,

We are the most ardent fans of SLU Athletics in general and men's basketball specifically. It is clear many of us feel that the current Athletic Department is failing and the outlook for the basketball team is poor. Therefore, the time to seek a change of Athletic Director and subsequent change of MBB coach is now to be positioned to hire at the end of the season. This effort is not a personal vendetta against Chris May or Travis Ford, it is based on performance. We the fans do have power and if we work together we can influence those with greater influence and decision making power on the direction of SLU Athletics. If we share input, information and cooperate in the endeavor it will increase our chances of success.  Here's a proposed plan of action:

Steps for AD Change (MBB Coach change to follow):

1. Contact AD May and request he resign.

2. If he refuses to resign then follow up with the President, Board of Trustees and SLU Sponsors

a. Outline the failures of AD and the basketball team

b. bad basketball equals bad investment for sponsors

3. If the above is unsuccessful

a. contact media

b. start social media campaign

c. other protests/actions TBD

Tasks to Complete:

A. Please provide input on other possible steps or how to maximize impact in this thread 

B. Draft emails detailing our grievances

C. Share key contacts to target in this campaign

D. Determine a method to collaborate (I recommend we work in Google Drive where we can collectively work on drafts and share information)

We are not muckrakers reacting to emotional whims, it has taken years of under achievement to bring us to this point. We can continue to suffer and complain about it or we can organize and act. I'm a man of action, are you? If so let's join together and bring about needed change.

Sincerely,

The A Bomb

So sick of these posts ...... putting you on my "ignore" list.

TheA_Bomb likes this

6 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I agree.

I also think some people are happy with 20 win seasons (I know that’s a running joke but I don’t mean it that way) and some people want more.  

I think the expectations people have shape their beliefs of what the next steps should be. 

Yes, I see the passion with you, gobillsgo, Billikenfan05 and wgstl and I certainly understand wanting to make something happen.  

I remember a few games in the Spoon era when I disagreed with his moves during a tough loss.  Invariably, his post-game interview acknowledged mistakes and always made me feel like he saw what we saw, and he was the man to correct this issue.

I no longer think CTF can fix it, but I think CTF has at least this season to prove me wrong.

dlarry likes this

17 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Yes, I see the passion with you, gobillsgo, Billikenfan05 and wgstl and I certainly understand wanting to make something happen.  

I remember a few games in the Spoon era when I disagreed with his moves during a tough loss.  Invariably, his post-game interview acknowledged mistakes and always made me feel like he saw what we saw, and he was the man to correct this issue.

I no longer think CTF can fix it, but I think CTF has at least this season to prove me wrong.

Wait do you think this is about one loss? 

15 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Spoon was great. He would explain why he did something. Maybe we didn’t agree with the move and it might not have worked but I was happy he had a well thought out reason for making the move. 

When Tony LaRussa was with the Cardinals he was the same way. 
He would make a head scratching maneuver but come press conference time he would detail what his thought process was. 

Dr Bird likes this

7 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Dear Fellow MBMs,

We are the most ardent fans of SLU Athletics in general and men's basketball specifically. It is clear many of us feel that the current Athletic Department is failing and the outlook for the basketball team is poor. Therefore, the time to seek a change of Athletic Director and subsequent change of MBB coach is now to be positioned to hire at the end of the season. This effort is not a personal vendetta against Chris May or Travis Ford, it is based on performance. We the fans do have power and if we work together we can influence those with greater influence and decision making power on the direction of SLU Athletics. If we share input, information and cooperate in the endeavor it will increase our chances of success.  Here's a proposed plan of action:

Steps for AD Change (MBB Coach change to follow):

1. Contact AD May and request he resign.

2. If he refuses to resign then follow up with the President, Board of Trustees and SLU Sponsors

a. Outline the failures of AD and the basketball team

b. bad basketball equals bad investment for sponsors

3. If the above is unsuccessful

a. contact media

b. start social media campaign

c. other protests/actions TBD

Tasks to Complete:

A. Please provide input on other possible steps or how to maximize impact in this thread 

B. Draft emails detailing our grievances

C. Share key contacts to target in this campaign

D. Determine a method to collaborate (I recommend we work in Google Drive where we can collectively work on drafts and share information)

We are not muckrakers reacting to emotional whims, it has taken years of under achievement to bring us to this point. We can continue to suffer and complain about it or we can organize and act. I'm a man of action, are you? If so let's join together and bring about needed change.

Sincerely,

The A Bomb

In some ways, your endeavor reminds of the bar scene in Star Wars. So as you begin it, let me say this: “May the Ford be with you.”

54 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Travis Ford is in his eighth season at SLU and has a 24 year D1 track record overall.  He is what he is.  Nothing that happens this season changes that. I probably wouldn’t fire him in season unless the team completely quit on him, but getting hot at A10 tournament time doesn’t change what he is.  It is time to move on.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Travis Ford is in his eighth season at SLU and has a 24 year D1 track record overall.  He is what he is.  Nothing that happens this season changes that. I probably wouldn’t fire him in season unless the team completely quit on him, but getting hot at A10 tournament time doesn’t change what he is.  It is time to move on.

I’m with you completely.

No need to fire him mid season but they should definitely be putting feelers out about a potential next coach. 

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I’m with you completely.

No need to fire him mid season but they should definitely be putting feelers out about a potential next coach. 

Ya mid season doesn’t make sense unless you land a deal so good you can’t wait. Which won’t be the case. 

Dr Bird likes this

49 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Wait do you think this is about one loss? 

Not at all.  I thought it was time to move on after last season.

But we didn't move on, so I've resigned myself to accepting CTF will be here for at least this season.

If the season plays out like I think, attendance will be abysmal, donations will plummet, and heads will fall.

If SLU wants to proceed now with harriman as interim, I'm good with that.

I expect major changes after the season.   I want SLU to be the next Creighton or Gonzaga.

13 hours ago, Dr Bird said:

Not at all.  I thought it was time to move on after last season.

But we didn't move on, so I've resigned myself to accepting CTF will be here for at least this season.

If the season plays out like I think, attendance will be abysmal, donations will plummet, and heads will fall.

If SLU wants to proceed now with harriman as interim, I'm good with that.

I expect major changes after the season.   I want SLU to be the next Creighton or Gonzaga.

Agreed. I think ahead of the season I was where you were at and honestly nothing Travis has done specific to basketball since the ball tipped on game 1 has actually changed my attitude negatively. I think what has brought me to the point of joining A-Bomb in his movement, is the collective PR campaign from May, Rammer, Troy, Travis to basically throw their hands up regarding NIL. I honestly would rather change athletics directors and let the new one figure out what to do about Travis.

TheA_Bomb and Dr Bird like this