Bobby Knight RIP

brianstl

I didn’t like his approach, but u can’t argue with the results. I do recall one presser he held after an NCAA tournament loss where he said bad D loses more games than good O will ever win. And I always thought that was pretty insightful. Good D is there night after night. Good O can come and go so it’s nothing you should count on to win games. I think Majerus felt the same. 

Knight was a prodigy, Winning 2 NCAA titles and a gold medal by the time he was 43.  The classic old school coach.  You can say a lot about him, but you can never say he was a cheater, something you can't say about any of the other coaches near the top of the all time wins list.

As a Billikens fan his memory will be tarnished because of his protege, Jim Crews' performance as our head coach.

We only played him once at Assembly Hall in 96 as part of the preseason NIT.  I skipped school to go.  I remember their bigs killed us.  I don't remember why Rasheed Malik took 10 shots.

JMM28 likes this

10 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I must admit that when I saw the thread here (the first I had heard of his passing), I wondered if someone somewhere would throw a chair in his memory.

The chair is on the right, set up at a memorial to Coach Knight.

https://x.com/IndyStarSports/status/1720038870648053831?s=20

image.jpeg

coach kinght at commissioners tournament at the arena in st.louis in 1974 is one of my favorite memories he did not want to be there got thrown out of second game after indiana won when he accepted the trophy he told them what they could do with it he wanted to be in new york at the NIT the look on their faces was priceless that tournament was a bad idea lasted one more year we were in the vallay than and Bradley played here wonder if any of you were there

5 minutes ago, longtimelistenerfirsttimec said:

coach kinght at commissioners tournament at the arena in st.louis in 1974 is one of my favorite memories he did not want to be there got thrown out of second game after indiana won when he accepted the trophy he told them what they could do with it he wanted to be in new york at the NIT the look on their faces was priceless that tournament was a bad idea lasted one more year we were in the vallay than and Bradley played here wonder if any of you were there

I was one of the dozens that attended.

57 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Yeah, Knight had some former players that built programs--like Coach K. And he had some that wrecked programs--like Crews, Steve Alford, and Isaiah Thomas.

I don't really like the guy, but lumping in Alford with Crews and Isiah Thomas is harsh.  Alford flamed out at UCLA (as have a bunch of other pretty good coaches), had middling results at Iowa, but was really successful at New Mexico.  He got Nevada to the NCAA last season, but jury is still out on him there.

55 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't really like the guy, but lumping in Alford with Crews and Isiah Thomas is harsh.  Alford flamed out at UCLA (as have a bunch of other pretty good coaches), had middling results at Iowa, but was really successful at New Mexico.  He got Nevada to the NCAA last season, but jury is still out on him there.

Yeah, Alford isn't a bad coach.  Took MO State to their last NCAA tournament appearance and only Sweet Sixteen in 1999. Alford's winning percentage at Iowa (58%) is basically the same as Fran McCaffery (59%).  The only two guys that were able somewhat consistently deliver big NCAA results at Iowa were Davis and Olson.  He was unfortunate in having to follow Tom Davis at Iowa who was sent packing because they thought Davis's 9 NCAA tournaments, 2 Sweet Sixteens and one Elite Eight in 13 seasons wasn't enough.  Davis was a really good coach. Even at UCLA Alford delivered 3 Sweet Sixteen appearances in the 5 seasons he finished.  

Side note:  Has there been a MVC program that has underperformed more over the last 24 years than MO St?

49 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Alford left Iowa a dumpster fire. If you think Situation 1 and 2 at SLU were embarrassing, you might be surprised at the off court happenings of the Alford era in Iowa City.  Yes, he didn't ruin every program he took over, he absolutely gets credit for ruining the Hawkeyes. 

thatskablamo likes this

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

Alford left Iowa a dumpster fire. If you think Situation 1 and 2 at SLU were embarrassing, you might be surprised at the off court happenings of the Alford era in Iowa City.  Yes, he didn't ruin every program he took over, he absolutely gets credit for ruining the Hawkeyes. 

Man, I almost forgot about Pierre Pierce. Lord have mercy. What a $hitshow. Alford is a Title IX admin’s worst nightmare.

Matty Light and JMM28 like this