Welcome Djordje Curcic

17 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

I used to get pumped up when the roster was young and full of potential.  NIL and wide-open transfer rules has changed that for me.

If we get a solid big, I think we will compete this coming year.  

I forgot to include Zhang.  So that's half of the roster that's 19 and under.  Has to be some kind of record.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, brianstl said:

My judgement on what has happened the last seven seasons overall hasn't changed.  That said, I don't see any point in not having hope for next season.  I want the program to succeed.  I don't want to spend the next several months thinking the season will be a disappointment or a disaster.  That isn't good for my mental health.  Plus, when something good happens you need to give the program credit for that.  I probably overstated a little where this kid is actually at right now as a prospect yesterday, but he is a really nice prospect.

The program has signed some guys that look like they have good potential over the last few weeks.  The whole staff deserves credit for that.  Now we just need to close the deal with a big.

That’s fair, it wasn’t a shot at you, but more so at the Ford Hype Machine… which includes, among others, Frank, Rammer, Rothstein, and various other local guys…. The constant comments that (insert recruit) is going to be a “difference maker” or is “going to handle a lot of the ball” or is “one of the best shooters we’ve had in the program”, when it’s almost certain they haven’t even seen that recruit play, is irresponsible and places undue pressure on the team.  I get that part of a coach’s job is to build excitement for the program.  I just can’t get excited myself until we see some consistent on court results.  And the Ford-fed comments about incoming recruits hold zero weight with me at this point. 

28 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

Few, if anyone, are hyped anymore.  We're just looking for some hope.  Curcic and a possible new Big represent hope.

What are we hoping for, another top 5 finish in a mediocre A10? Last season’s failure to make the top 25 we all expected with a loaded team really has soured a lot of us on Ford being the answer for SLU. 
So where’s the reason for hope he can take a bunch of newbies to anything more than the last 3 years?
Just trying to be realistic here. Yes, we may finish above .500, but most fans are hoping for a dance invite. And that is highly a false hope for this season. 

48 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I forgot to include Zhang.  So that's half of the roster that's 19 and under.  Has to be some kind of record.

In Majerus’ third year (I think…the year after Lisch and Liddell left), I think everyone on the team except Paul Eckerle was a freshman or sophomore. There could have been a junior or senior walk on too.

I'm skeptical for sure but I have more hope today than I did a month or two ago. There's a chance we could win the conference and still not be a top 50 team. Most likely it's a season with a similar end result to the past few seasons. But it won't come across as such a disappointment/failure based on expectations. But I want Billiken fans to have high expectations for the program. Or at least higher than the clear lowered expectations that May and Pestello (and clearly even guys like Chaifetz) have for the program.

50 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That is interesting. Also a bit different is that on the other end of it you have guys like Jimerson, Hargrove, and Dagler who will be playing in their 5th season of college basketball (two of those being JUCO for Dagler) and Parker will be playing in his 4th between JUCO and SLU (I know he played at a prep school, but I think that was his normal senior season). Dandridge would be another guy playing in his 5th season of college basketball if he ends up here. Somewhat unique having such a large group of guys playing in their 1st or 2nd season of college basketball paired with some guys who have been at this a long time. I like having that kind of mix assuming we are able to retain these guys.

23 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'm skeptical for sure but I have more hope today than I did a month or two ago. There's a chance we could win the conference and still not be a top 50 team. Most likely it's a season with a similar end result to the past few seasons. But it won't come across as such a disappointment/failure based on expectations. But I want Billiken fans to have high expectations for the program. Or at least higher than the clear lowered expectations that May and Pestello (and clearly even guys like Chaifetz) have for the program.

This is exactly where I’m at. My expectations are based on where the program should be, and not the team itself. SLU should be dancing more than once every 5 years, or I guess more accurately twice in 10 years. Just because this upcoming group doesn’t necessarily look like a tournament team doesn’t mean I'm okay settling for a record over .500 and saying things are great. 

stmdragons likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

What are we hoping for, another top 5 finish in a mediocre A10? Last season’s failure to make the top 25 we all expected with a loaded team really has soured a lot of us on Ford being the answer for SLU. 
So where’s the reason for hope he can take a bunch of newbies to anything more than the last 3 years?
Just trying to be realistic here. Yes, we may finish above .500, but most fans are hoping for a dance invite. And that is highly a false hope for this season. 

I wish you guys would have been realistic last year. Rothstein (Main Ford Hypeman) said we were going to be top 25 knowing nothing about Perkin's status. So did all of you who thought we were top 25. We were never that without a 100% healthy Perkins. It was a major stretch with him, but you guys jumped the Rothstein train and the Ford ra ra and ran with it. Shame on you for falling for the BS of Ford's strongest supporters. We couldn't play defense with the lineup you guys thought made us top 25. That was a huge miscalculation from the hypesters. And yes, most fans are hoping for an NCAA invite. What fan base doesn't hope for that? What I haven't heard is one person say I think we will make the tournament next year. 

27 minutes ago, DOC said:

I wish you guys would have been realistic last year. Rothstein (Main Ford Hypeman) said we were going to be top 25 knowing nothing about Perkin's status. So did all of you who thought we were top 25. We were never that without a 100% healthy Perkins. It was a major stretch with him, but you guys jumped the Rothstein train and the Ford ra ra and ran with it. Shame on you for falling for the BS of Ford's strongest supporters. We couldn't play defense with the lineup you guys thought made us top 25. That was a huge miscalculation from the hypesters. And yes, most fans are hoping for an NCAA invite. What fan base doesn't hope for that? What I haven't heard is one person say I think we will make the tournament next year. 

Several preseason publications/polls had SLU pegged in the top 30, usually 26th.

37 minutes ago, DOC said:

Hindsight.   Makes everyone a genius.

Since the official SLU website doesn't include incoming recruits until school starts, where does a fan go to see all of the new recruits?

It seems like Pistol used to list them at the top of the recruiting year, but it's no longer there.  Instead there is loads of info on players we had some interest in but who went elsewhere.  It would be nice to see all of our new signees in one place instead of having to search through multiple pages to find "welcome" threads for each individual

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Since the official SLU website doesn't include incoming recruits until school starts, where does a fan go to see all of the new recruits?

I was curious about this same thing the other week. I was somewhat forgetting who all we had lined up and couldn't find anywhere that accurately reflected all of our additions this spring/summer.

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Sa velikim ponosom želimo da podelimo jednu izuzetno važnu vest sa Vama. Mladi reprezentativac Srbije i naš vredni košarkaš Đorđe V. Ćurčić će se pridružiti američkoj koledž košarci! Đorđe je nedavno postigao dogovor sa prestižnim Univerzitetom Sent Luis, gde će naredne četiri godine nositi dres ovog renomiranog tima.

Oh Yeah!

brianstl likes this

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Sa velikim ponosom želimo da podelimo jednu izuzetno važnu vest sa Vama. Mladi reprezentativac Srbije i naš vredni košarkaš Đorđe V. Ćurčić će se pridružiti američkoj koledž košarci! Đorđe je nedavno postigao dogovor sa prestižnim Univerzitetom Sent Luis, gde će naredne četiri godine nositi dres ovog renomiranog tima.

Oh Yeah!

There is a button at the top right of the page that gives you the page in English. 

19 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

So even with this new bit of information I'm still confused.  Is the guy SLU got the 6'2 guy or 6'5" guy?  And which one is supposed to be the better prospect?

He is 6'1 according to the link above. 

We are very proud to share an extremely important news with you. The young representative of Serbia and our valuable basketball player Đorđe V. Ćurčić will join American college basketball! Djordje recently reached an agreement with the prestigious Saint Louis University, where he will wear the jersey of this renowned team for the next four years. This decision is the result of a long-considered plan and Đorđe, together with his family, decided to combine his education with the continuation of his career in basketball. We believe this is the best solution for him and will provide him with incredible opportunities to grow and prosper. Our Mozartian family sincerely wishes him all the luck and success on this new path. This collaboration with St. Louis University is an exceptional opportunity for him to make great strides in his basketball career. The fighter will always be there for him and the doors of the club will be wide open for him. It is interesting to note that the St. Louis Billikens compete in the Atlantic 10 Conference, which they have won seven times so far. This team has also reached the finals of the NCAA Championship ten times, and the last time they were in that competition was in 2019. The team has as many as 17 NBA basketball players who have passed through their ranks. Dear Đorđe, we congratulate you on this great opportunity and we believe that you will give your best on the field. Take with you everything you learned and the experience you gained in Borac. Be brave, persevere and never forget the part of us that will always be with you. May luck and success follow your steps through American college basketball. We are all rooting for you, George!

8 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is interesting. Also a bit different is that on the other end of it you have guys like Jimerson, Hargrove, and Dagler who will be playing in their 5th season of college basketball (two of those being JUCO for Dagler) and Parker will be playing in his 4th between JUCO and SLU (I know he played at a prep school, but I think that was his normal senior season). Dandridge would be another guy playing in his 5th season of college basketball if he ends up here. Somewhat unique having such a large group of guys playing in their 1st or 2nd season of college basketball paired with some guys who have been at this a long time. I like having that kind of mix assuming we are able to retain these guys.

averages it out to being a mid aged roster per the other 354? teams