A10 Men's Tourney Thread

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

The last thing I want is another road game against Fordham…. If they had 8500 there for the quarterfinals, imagine what it would be like in the championship game. If we beat VCU, I hate to say it but I’ll be rooting for Dayton.  

Good forbid if Fordham basketball became trendy......(at least for this weekend)

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The crowd had to be 90% Fordham fans for the Fordham-LaSalle game.  The Fordham students and alumni were there in force, even bigger than all of Olean for the Bonnies in '19.

BAB - I trust you and Taj will be 12 salty dogs deeps tonight prank calling VCU hotel rooms and pulling fire alarms? Assuming we don't share a hotel...

38 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The crowd had to be 90% Fordham fans for the Fordham-LaSalle game.  The Fordham students and alumni were there in force, even bigger than all of Olean for the Bonnies in '19.

The LaSalle -Fordham announcers said something about the Fordham fans getting there early and making a lot of noise during the Dayton game.  Were they all cheering for SJU?  

If so, I hope they all get there early again tomorrow and cheer on their fellow Jesuit institution against VCU - could be a huge boost for the Bills!

CenHudDude likes this

13 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

The LaSalle -Fordham announcers said something about the Fordham fans getting there early and making a lot of noise during the Dayton game.  Were they all cheering for SJU?  

If so, I hope they all get there early again tomorrow and cheer on their fellow Jesuit institution against VCU - could be a huge boost for the Bills!

Yes and Yes.

The Fordham students were seated in the Dayton side end zone, and without question were vocally rooting for fellow Jesuit St. Joe's, as was our SLU Posse at the other (St. Joe's side) baseline.

Several Fordham alumni saw me in my Billiken Blue, are definitely behind our Billikens vs. VCU.  Most of the fans like our Billikens.  VCU and Dayton are the enemies of the people.

At McMahon's Public House, I met the Dad of the St. Joe's Hawk, in addition to Mike McMahon, the fine proprietor, who likes the SLU fans, praised our maturity, compared to other past patrons of the establishment.

A St. Joe's guy, I think, said let's have SLU, St. Joe's and Fordham (the 3 Jesuits that were still standing) all win, and "decide it amongst ourselves." 

During the Fordham-LaSalle game, a vocal Fordham fan, in his best NY accent bellowed out at LaSalle, "Go back to the City of Brotherly Losers."  A Fordham student sign listed- Phillies Lost, Eagles Lost, LaSalle Loses.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

This is why the tournament should never be in the home town of a conference member. It hasn’t mattered so far because Fordham has not been good. 

I don't think it should be played on a teams home court, but I have no problem with it being in a team's home town.  The Big East is in St. John's home town every year.  The Big 12 is in the middle of an at least 17 year run a in a building that takes you the same time to drive to from KU's campus as it does from Fordham to Barclay's. The SEC tournament is beginning a 7 year run in Vandy's home town.  

I actually hope Fordham can stay competitive, that the tournament is regularly played in NYC and that Rams fans show up in force.  Playing in front of a large fired up crowd in the conference tournament is better for everyone.  It makes for a better TV product for the conference to sell , it gets the players more invested, it makes it easier for the rest of the teams in the conference to sell more of their ticket allotment because people want to be in person for the spectacle and it can help in recruiting.

BC1764 likes this

31 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Yes and Yes.

The Fordham students were seated in the Dayton side end zone, and without question were vocally rooting for fellow Jesuit St. Joe's, as were our SLU Posse at the other (St. Joe's side) baseline.

Several Fordham alumni saw me in my Billiken Blue, are definitely behind our Billikens vs. VCU.  Most of the fans like our Billikens.  VCU and Dayton are the enemies of the people.

At McMahon's Public House, I met the Dad of the St. Joe's Hawk, in addition to Mike McMahon, the fine proprietor, who likes the SLU fans, praise our maturity, compared to other patrons of the establishment.

A St. Joe's guy, I think, said let's have SLU, St. Joe's and Fordham (the 3 Jesuits that were still standing) all win, and "decide it amongst ourselves." 

During the Fordham-LaSalle game, a vocal Fordham fan, in his best NY accent bellowed out at LaSalle, "Go back to the City of Brotherly Losers."  A Fordham student sign listed- Phillies Lost, Eagles Lost, LaSalle Loses.

Your last paragraph brought up a fond memory.  A few years back I went on a post-university spring break to Panama City with a group of friends from Nashville.   Town was full of 20-30 year old men going around shouting “War Eagle” “Roll Tide” “ Go Dogs”, etc.

A 6’3” 230 pound guy was standing on the edge of a pool shouting “Go Dogs!”   One of my friends, about the same size, walks over, pushes the Dog into the pool and shouts “‘How about them Vols?!”

The Dog stands up in the water and says “Well cuz, Georgia kicked Tennessee’s ass, Georgia Tech kicked Vanderbilt’s ass, and I’m going to kick your ass!!”  As I saw this was about to get ugly, I offered to by the Dog a beer, the situation was defused, and we all agreed  the Bama folks were the biggest jerks….

Matty Light likes this

2 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

The last thing I want is another road game against Fordham…. If they had 8500 there for the quarterfinals, imagine what it would be like in the championship game. If we beat VCU, I hate to say it but I’ll be rooting for Dayton.  

i think that 8500 is total attendance not fordham attendance   i would guess maybe a third of that total was pure fordham fans but the other schools have fans there as well.   and sure it is an advantage to fordham to have the tourney in brooklyn, but remember fordham isnt located in brooklyn they are in the bronx i believe so they still have to navigate the entire city to get there.   yes a lot closer than our plane ride to get there, but a lot of casual fans in nyc would likely decide to stop at madison square garden at this time and watch big east games as opposed to traveling on to brooklyn.   

now if fordham gets to sunday.........katie bar the door they'll likely have to open the upper bowl.  and they we will see a real home court fan base passion and everyone will swear they have been following the fordham games for years.   

i saw the same thing happen with our fans in 2000 in memphis and 2019 in brooklyn the supposed fans came out of the woodwork to claim their loyalty.   funny though on the thursday before the championship games in both cities, i only remember me, my wife and maybe another 15 blue shirts in the stands.  

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think that 8500 is total attendance not fordham attendance   i would guess maybe a third of that total was pure fordham fans but the other schools have fans there as well.   and sure it is an advantage to fordham to have the tourney in brooklyn, but remember fordham isnt located in brooklyn they are in the bronx i believe so they still have to navigate the entire city to get there.   yes a lot closer than our plane ride to get there, but a lot of casual fans in nyc would likely decide to stop at madison square garden at this time and watch big east games as opposed to traveling on to brooklyn.   

now if fordham gets to sunday.........katie bar the door they'll likely have to open the upper bowl.  and they we will see a real home court fan base passion and everyone will swear they have been following the fordham games for years.   

i saw the same thing happen with our fans in 2000 in memphis and 2019 in brooklyn the supposed fans came out of the woodwork to claim their loyalty.   funny though on the thursday before the championship games in both cities, i only remember me, my wife and maybe another 15 blue shirts in the stands.  

A Fordham booster told me at least 5,000 Fordham fans were there last night. I thought he was being conservative, estimated 6,000 there myself. But if you think of the lower bowl as a rectangle curved at the edges, only the LaSalle end zone was mostly sparse. So 5/6 of the lower bowl was filled. That attendance figure of 8,500+ is in the ballpark, and 90% were Fordham fans during the Fordham game. 

The Fordham students were there em masse. They took the Metro North from Fordham in The Bronx to Grand Central, then transferred to the 4 NYC Subway to Barclays center in Brooklyn. 

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Knock on wood here.

Over the last 2 games, SLU's O+D efficiencies Put us #18 INT. VCU #34 during that same stretch.  

The stat that bothers me when VCU is compared to SLU is W's and L's...SLU is 0-2 this season against them.

Franco's absence vs. VCU in round 2 and his emergence over the past two games gives me hope. IF Franco and Jake can avoid foul trouble, we've got a good shot at taking down the Rams.

Matty Light likes this

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not to jump ahead here.  But Fordham bringing 10,000 fans to a 20k arena still isn't the same at 3k fans in a 3k gym. 

You are right - I was at last night's Fordham game as well as their game vs. SLU in the Bronx. There is no comparison the impact of fan support at the two venues. It was odd that Fordham did not seem to get much lift from the fans last night. For instance they were terrible at free throw shooting. It was like they didn't realize they had home court advantage, or unfamiliarity of the arena outweighted the level of support they had.

7 minutes ago, Schasz said:

The stat that bothers me when VCU is compared to SLU is W's and L's...SLU is 0-2 this season against them.

Going into these matchups, SLU was ranked #106 and #141.  Cant over look what you said, but we were also not playing well, especially at the time in one of those.  SLU also played a good 30 minutes in both, so wasnt a blowout from the tip type game. 

22 minutes ago, NYBilliken said:

You are right - I was at last night's Fordham game as well as their game vs. SLU in the Bronx. There is no comparison the impact of fan support at the two venues. It was odd that Fordham did not seem to get much lift from the fans last night. For instance they were terrible at free throw shooting. It was like they didn't realize they had home court advantage, or unfamiliarity of the arena outweighted the level of support they had.

My take is Fordham did get a lift from its fans, but true, Fordham shot only 11-24 FT’s and 6-21 3’s. Moore and Quisenberry scored 42 of F’s 61 points, add Richardson’s 10 to make 52. 

Charlton went into the mob of Fordham students after the Win, donned one of their caps. 

9 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

You would be surprised. That place was loud. Curtains covered the upper deck. 

57 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not to jump ahead here.  But Fordham bringing 10,000 fans to a 20k arena still isn't the same at 3k fans in a 3k gym. 

fordham doesnt have 10,000 fans.   that is new york fans jumping on a bandwagon.   it is going to be our job in the championship to send them home early.   maybe they can get out in time to get to a matinee performance on broadway.  

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

A Fordham booster told me at least 5,000 Fordham fans were there last night. I thought he was being conservative, estimated 6,000 there myself. But if you think of the lower bowl as a rectangle curved at the edges, only the LaSalle end zone was mostly sparse. So 5/6 of the lower bowl was filled. That attendance figure of 8,500+ is in the ballpark, and 90% were Fordham fans during the Fordham game. 

The Fordham students were there em masse. They took the Metro North from Fordham in The Bronx to Grand Central, then transferred to the 4 NYC Subway to Barclays center in Brooklyn. 

I’m enjoying your Tom Timmerman type reports from the tournament BAB.

Billiken Rich likes this